LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Lord of the Mauls

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

aslongaswebeatsaints
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Lord of the Mauls

Post by aslongaswebeatsaints »

I know I may be an outlier but never rated Pollard sadly. Over hyped in my opinion. Don’t get me wrong he’s very good but not crazy money good. I think we’d be better spending the money to secure some of our core players like Genge for the future.
That said, now I’ve said that he’ll probably prove me wrong and have a stormer this weekend!

The big question is do we actually need another FH? If we do what was the point in signing Freddie Burns?
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

Ford is one of the best distributing 10s in the game, IMHO. His timing of passes is not far off perfect, and therefore can put runners through the tiniest of gaps. In this regard, he is IMHO, world class. I cannot think actually of a better 10 for this. His game management is also IMHO definitely up there as well as his consistancy. GF is not a show pony like Marcus Smith, and therefore he can be very underrated. I am extremely gutted about him leaving, and I am sure we will miss him.

Freddie Burns is a magician whose spells can be amazing and sometimes do not work very well. He can be excellent as well as have some quite bad off days. He is IMHO somebody to be brought on in the last 20 mins or so if a big of magic is needed, but IMHO not a Tigers starting 10. This is how he worked well with Williams a few seasons ago. We need consistancy, excellent game management, a great kicker, and, as we don't have players that easily make holes themselves (except Nems), we need a 10 who can make those holes for our runners. IMHO we do need a new 10, and IMHO this should be a marquee. I agree Pollard is not worth the mone though.

On a side note, I would love to see Freddie S get more training in goal kicking. Those legs have the power, but they need more accuracy.
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

Pellsey wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:40 am Ford is one of the best distributing 10s in the game, IMHO. His timing of passes is not far off perfect, and therefore can put runners through the tiniest of gaps. In this regard, he is IMHO, world class. I cannot think actually of a better 10 for this. His game management is also IMHO definitely up there as well as his consistancy. GF is not a show pony like Marcus Smith, and therefore he can be very underrated. I am extremely gutted about him leaving, and I am sure we will miss him.

Freddie Burns is a magician whose spells can be amazing and sometimes do not work very well. He can be excellent as well as have some quite bad off days. He is IMHO somebody to be brought on in the last 20 mins or so if a big of magic is needed, but IMHO not a Tigers starting 10. This is how he worked well with Williams a few seasons ago. We need consistancy, excellent game management, a great kicker, and, as we don't have players that easily make holes themselves (except Nems), we need a 10 who can make those holes for our runners. IMHO we do need a new 10, and IMHO this should be a marquee. I agree Pollard is not worth the mone though.

On a side note, I would love to see Freddie S get more training in goal kicking. Those legs have the power, but they need more accuracy.
Why is Marcus Smith a show pony?
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

Dokie wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:04 am
Pellsey wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:40 am Ford is one of the best distributing 10s in the game, IMHO. His timing of passes is not far off perfect, and therefore can put runners through the tiniest of gaps. In this regard, he is IMHO, world class. I cannot think actually of a better 10 for this. His game management is also IMHO definitely up there as well as his consistancy. GF is not a show pony like Marcus Smith, and therefore he can be very underrated. I am extremely gutted about him leaving, and I am sure we will miss him.

I believe he seems to make a big deal of everything he does. He jumps up and down to make a pass for example, whereas other players just pass etc. Maybe it is just his long hair!!
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

Pellsey wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:14 am
Dokie wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:04 am

I believe he seems to make a big deal of everything he does. He jumps up and down to make a pass for example, whereas other players just pass etc. Maybe it is just his long hair!!

There are players that you notice a lot, and players of equal ability which you don't.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I don't see Smith as a show pony either
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Flood was a fine player but had gaps in hid skills etc that make the difference between good and great. Avoidance of drop goals being one.
Ford impeded by Farrell at inside centre
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

Maybe "show pony" is a little harsh. But I think he "looks" a lot better than he is. Maybe calling him flamboyant is more accurate. IMHO Ford is in be completely different league.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

aslongaswebeatsaints wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:53 pm I know I may be an outlier but never rated Pollard sadly. Over hyped in my opinion. Don’t get me wrong he’s very good but not crazy money good. I think we’d be better spending the money to secure some of our core players like Genge for the future.
That said, now I’ve said that he’ll probably prove me wrong and have a stormer this weekend!

The big question is do we actually need another FH? If we do what was the point in signing Freddie Burns?
Because he was affordable, could provide bench cover for Ford, start if Ford went on international duty. Plus he can play 15 if we need him to.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Goodevibrations
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Goodevibrations »

sapajo wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:35 am
aslongaswebeatsaints wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:53 pm I know I may be an outlier but never rated Pollard sadly. Over hyped in my opinion. Don’t get me wrong he’s very good but not crazy money good. I think we’d be better spending the money to secure some of our core players like Genge for the future.

Because he was affordable, could provide bench cover for Ford, start if Ford went on international duty. Plus he can play 15 if we need him to.
This 100%!

Freddie is a great lad to have in the squad and I'm really happy he's come back, but I would be very underwhelmed if he was to be our first choice ten. Burns wouldn't be considered to start at fly-half for Exeter, Saracens, Sale, Harlequins, Bristol, Northampton etc. with everyone available. Not a dig at him, just reality.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Joel Kpoku has left Sarries. Would be a great signing and think he was Martin’s partner in the second row for England U20.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Going to France Saracens don’t rate him
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Nofrontteeth wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:18 pm Please define what makes 'World Class'?
I'd start with Dan Carter or Jonny Wilkinson as a benchmark. Was Flood as good as those two, for example ?
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

westwinds31 wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:18 pm
Nofrontteeth wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:18 pm Please define what makes 'World Class'?
I'd start with Dan Carter or Jonny Wilkinson as a benchmark. Was Flood as good as those two, for example ?
Nope & neither are Ford, Smith, Farrell, horrendously over used phrase.
Our No.1 hooker certainly is.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

westwinds31 wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:18 pm
Sounds like your definition of world-class is far more discriminating than ‘current top 5’ in the world. More like ‘in the top 5 of all time’! I’d put GF in the former category, but not the latter.