LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Lord of the Mauls

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Lord of the Mauls

Post by RagingBull »

It's hard to really know the direction we might go since we don't know who else might be leaving/out of contract.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

I don't see any point in looking at Finn Smith. We've brought Lancaster in as the "young up and coming 10", so don't see the point in bringing another one in. I agree that you don't necessarily need a world-class 10 to be successful. We've had Goodey and Flood, to name two that were very good, international standard at one time or another but weren't necessarily world class, but could drive a team around the park, kick goals and produce the odd moment of magic. If I were Hegarty or Burns, I'd be jumping up and down with joy.
Goodevibrations
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Goodevibrations »

westwinds31 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:57 pm I don't see any point in looking at Finn Smith. We've brought Lancaster in as the "young up and coming 10", so don't see the point in bringing another one in. I agree that you don't necessarily need a world-class 10 to be successful. We've had Goodey and Flood, to name two that were very good, international standard at one time or another but weren't necessarily world class, but could drive a team around the park, kick goals and produce the odd moment of magic. If I were Hegarty or Burns, I'd be jumping up and down with joy.
Flood at one point was world class. Things have changed a lot since the days of Andy Goode. The quality across the entire league has improved immensely since then, not just the top teams.
Goodevibrations
Top Cat
Top Cat

Goodevibrations wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:05 pm
westwinds31 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:57 pm I don't see any point in looking at Finn Smith. We've brought Lancaster in as the "young up and coming 10", so don't see the point in bringing another one in. I agree that you don't necessarily need a world-class 10 to be successful. We've had Goodey and Flood, to name two that were very good, international standard at one time or another but weren't necessarily world class, but could drive a team around the park, kick goals and produce the odd moment of magic. If I were Hegarty or Burns, I'd be jumping up and down with joy.
Flood at one point was world class. Things have changed a lot since the days of Andy Goode. The quality across the entire league has improved immensely since then, not just the top teams.
Just realised the irony of not bigging up Goode given my screenname.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Flood was a International 10 but wouldn't have called him world class.
Goodevibrations
Top Cat
Top Cat

RagingBull wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:29 pm
Flood was a International 10 but wouldn't have called him world class.
Between 2009 and 2011 he was absolutely outstanding. Ok, maybe he wasn't quite world class but in my opinion he was better than what we currently have, excluding George Ford with respect to the time period that I am referring to.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

the more I have thought about it the more I think Freddie Burns will be the man to take over, a second experience 10, be that Hegarty or someone else and Lancaster as the 3 from next season with a star coming in in the pack somewhere.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

It has been pointed out on twitter that one Handre Pollard has started following Leicester Tigers on Instagram...

https://twitter.com/TigersLeicester/sta ... 8N6zA&s=19
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:26 pm It has been pointed out on twitter that one Handre Pollard has started following Leicester Tigers on Instagram...

Yes please!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

Well he’s in the country at the moment…
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:26 pm It has been pointed out on twitter that one Handre Pollard has started following Leicester Tigers on Instagram...

Nearly as good as Ford :smt003
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

kpj tiger wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:54 pm

Nearly as good as Ford :smt003
Who?!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

Pollard would be gravy, has lots of SA mates present at the club already!! To be fair it would be a move that makes sense, we can’t offer French money but we can offer history and pulling on the legendary tigers shirt!! :smt038
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

baz1664 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:01 pm Pollard would be gravy, has lots of SA mates present at the club already!! To be fair it would be a move that makes sense, we can’t offer French money but we can offer history and pulling on the legendary tigers shirt!! :smt038
Maybe Stransky has had a word
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

Hopefully the legendary Jaco van der Westhuyzen will also give us the thumbs up!!