What do Freddie Steward and Maro Itoje have in common?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

What do Freddie Steward and Maro Itoje have in common?

Post by chris111 »

A: perhaps the only two players in the England squad who, on current form, should be a nailed-on starter by virtue of being a significant upgrade on the alternatives?

I’d reckon in every other position there are 2/3 - or more - options where you could make arguments either way, but if I were in EJ’s shoes these would be the only two choices I didn’t bother spending time thinking about.

Discuss….
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: What do Freddie Steward and Maro Itoje have in common?

Post by ads »

EJ had Farrell on his team sheet months ago...
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

ads wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:50 am EJ had Farrell on his team sheet months ago...
Key words in my post were “should be!
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Yep, if they're going to pick Smith over Ford, give him ago with like minded backs. Like they should have done with Ford....
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Eddie Jones is looking at the next game only, his cv is what matters, he has no interest in England winning a World Cup, he stills owes us one for 2003.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Ellis Genge?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Raimond
Tiger Cub

Post by Raimond »

Max Malins 7 tries in 2 games isn't particularly shoddy either.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

As much as Steward is a starter for me to say he is nailed on isn't quite right IMO.

Yes he is IMO the best fullback in the country, but others are better than him at other aspects of the game. The likes of Parton and Malins both have aspects that if England were to play in certain styles may make them attractive options as starters
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Depends what you want from your FB. Fundamentally he's arguably the best we've got and although his attack is getting there there are still others more dangerous than him at present. Me personally I'd take a Rob Kearney all day and let your wingers provide the magic. Not that he was any slouch
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Raimond wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:10 am Max Malins 7 tries in 2 games isn't particularly shoddy either.
I think he will be the 15 for the AIs if not all Ints
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

TigerCam wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:20 am
Raimond wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:10 am Max Malins 7 tries in 2 games isn't particularly shoddy either.
I think he will be the 15 for the AIs if not all Ints
No disrespect to Malins as he is a world class player with undeniable talent; however, I’m not really that impressed by the 7 tries in 2 games stat given the circumstances. I could have finished a fair few of those tries. Itoje offloading to him for a walk in 2m out unopposed isn’t anything special. 7 tries in 2 matches looks impressive on paper but it was against a rudderless Bath side and a very depleted Wasps B team.

He scored 0 tries in his previous 2 matches against proper opposition by comparison.

I would definitely have him in the team but not ahead of Steward. Steward at 15 and Malins/Radwan as the pace on one wing option
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:11 am As much as Steward is a starter for me to say he is nailed on isn't quite right IMO.

Yes he is IMO the best fullback in the country, but others are better than him at other aspects of the game. The likes of Parton and Malins both have aspects that if England were to play in certain styles may make them attractive options as starters
Fair point about Malins….I think Steward is better defensively but Malins currently the stronger attacking option. Mind you, always hard to tell from club form; these two currently benefit from being in the strongest defences in the Premiership.

On the Genge question - yes, certainly arguable that he’s overtaken Mako, but not sure it’s that clear cut. Maybe depends on who they are up against - if it’s a really top class TH then there’s something to be said for letting Mako take the strain for 50mins so Ellis can rampage for 30!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

chris111 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:48 am
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:11 am As much as Steward is a starter for me to say he is nailed on isn't quite right IMO.

Fair point about Malins….I think Steward is better defensively but Malins currently the stronger attacking option. Mind you, always hard to tell from club form; these two currently benefit from being in the strongest defences in the Premiership.

On the Genge question - yes, certainly arguable that he’s overtaken Mako, but not sure it’s that clear cut. Maybe depends on who they are up against - if it’s a really top class TH then there’s something to be said for letting Mako take the strain for 50mins so Ellis can rampage for 30!
Mako isn't even in the squad! And rightly so!
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Perhaps I'm classed as somewhat old fashioned but I see a Fullbacks prime requirement being the ability to defend....
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
rugbym4dmike
Tiger Cub

Post by rugbym4dmike »

EJ hasn't picked the best FB for some time, Alex Goode is far and away a better FB than Daley, but for some reason EJ didn't want him, so wouldn't be surprised by any choices he makes, like OF at inside centre for instance!