Player welfare and performance

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Player welfare and performance

Post by Grimlish »

It seems there can be welfare and performance gains from collision and impact management using high tech gum shields in both training and match-day player monitoring.

The article below says it is in use at Quinn’s and Gloucester (so clearly it’s not the only factor behind Quinn’s’ rise last season). BTW I’m sorry the article has been so badly written or edited, but it still seemed well worth a read. Are we using anything similar?

https://www.skysports.com/rugby-union/ ... me-changer
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Re: Player welfare and performance

Post by Old Hob »

I read a version of this story elsewhere; interesting. What fascinated me was the research done on amateur era players in tandem with this showing that their brain functions were rarely impaired until they were over 75. This from the days when punch-ups were real, not just shoving each other.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Old Hob wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:27 am I read a version of this story elsewhere; interesting. What fascinated me was the research done on amateur era players in tandem with this showing that their brain functions were rarely impaired until they were over 75. This from the days when punch-ups were real, not just shoving each other.
Bears out much of the foresight of people like Tom McNab, saying the professional era, with athletic conditioning, could be very costly in terms of injuries and long-term consequences. Today's game contains far more impactful collisions (in spite of incidents like Danny Hearn's) than in the earlier era (say 1950-80s), especially in the tackle area. Just watch any games from that era, and you'll see a lot of shoving, punch-ups etc, with some shoeing - but very few full on hits, unlike today's games.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

For example, this is Gavin Hastings on his time as a Lion (full piece on BBC website):

"Rugby is in the grip of a concussion crisis but, 32 years ago, there were no pitch-side head injury assessments, no temporary replacements, and certainly no high-definition replays.

"Just before half-time, Nick Farr-Jones sent a right hook my way, caught me in the temple and I was concussed," says Hastings. "Concussion nowadays means you're coming off, but I remember the physio coming on and I asked him where we were.

"He replied, 'We're in Brisbane'.
"'How are we getting on?'
"'It's pretty close.'
"'What happens if I come off?'
"He said, 'you're on the plane home'.
"I'm not casting aspersions about the physio, but I stayed on, and scored the winning try and I don't even remember scoring it.
"I knew we'd won and squared the series 1-1, and the press asked me to talk them through the try. I said I'd have to go and see it again, it all happened so quickly, and the truth was that I don't even remember scoring."
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina