Sale (H) 23rd October 2021 - 3pm

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Noggs
Super User
Super User

Re: Sale (H) 23rd October 2021 - 3pm

Post by Noggs »

Not sure whether this has been covered but why oh why with 30 seconds to go did we kick the ball, eventually leading to penalties for Sale and a try? In the days when we knew how to close a game out the forwards would stick it up their jumpers for 5 or more minutes at the end of a game to wind the clock down and then kick it out. This is not the first time we have made this mistake in the recent past. :smt009
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Noggs wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:37 pm Not sure whether this has been covered but why oh why with 30 seconds to go did we kick the ball, eventually leading to penalties for Sale and a try? In the days when we knew how to close a game out the forwards would stick it up their jumpers for 5 or more minutes at the end of a game to wind the clock down and then kick it out. This is not the first time we have made this mistake in the recent past. :smt009
I was thinking the same.. especially with Wigglesworth on at that stage for his game management it did seem a little odd to me
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:38 pm
Noggs wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:37 pm Not sure whether this has been covered but why oh why with 30 seconds to go did we kick the ball, eventually leading to penalties for Sale and a try? In the days when we knew how to close a game out the forwards would stick it up their jumpers for 5 or more minutes at the end of a game to wind the clock down and then kick it out. This is not the first time we have made this mistake in the recent past. :smt009
I was thinking the same.. especially with Wigglesworth on at that stage for his game management it did seem a little odd to me
A rush of blood I suspect but I trust it has been reviewed today and that we get the simple things right in the future. In other circumstances it could have cost us the game.
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
peteD

Post by peteD »

Noggs wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:50 pm
OakhamTiger32 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:38 pm
A rush of blood I suspect but I trust it has been reviewed today and that we get the simple things right in the future. In other circumstances it could have cost us the game.
These days sir is looking to penalise any infringement at these rucks being used to kill time, kicking away is a lower risk option and at least means the ball is further down field
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Offside »

There are certainly a lot of penalties for sealing off and shouts of arrive /stay on your feet. The impression that this is only really policed at these final repeat ruck plays and not at other times is frustrating. I still think that keeping hold of the ball gives you a chance to control the game. The other option is that you kick and there is a knock on or other offence and you work further down the field. The problem with statistics is they are often produced From data for all games rather than from games with the toughest opposition. What may work against Worcester with an advantage may not work against Sale, Salarysins and other better teams. SB does seem to be very good an amending tactics to match the opposition so it would be interesting to know to what level the analysts amend the statistics the present. Do they just look at the percentage of kicking and how much ball goes through ,9 ,10, 12 or do they go into much more detail?
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Offside wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:56 am There are certainly a lot of penalties for sealing off and shouts of arrive /stay on your feet. The impression that this is only really policed at these final repeat ruck plays and not at other times is frustrating. I still think that keeping hold of the ball gives you a chance to control the game. The other option is that you kick and there is a knock on or other offence and you work further down the field. The problem with statistics is they are often produced From data for all games rather than from games with the toughest opposition. What may work against Worcester with an advantage may not work against Sale, Salarysins and other better teams. SB does seem to be very good an amending tactics to match the opposition so it would be interesting to know to what level the analysts amend the statistics the present. Do they just look at the percentage of kicking and how much ball goes through ,9 ,10, 12 or do they go into much more detail?
Also don’t forget the Dickson factor.. anything could happen as his refereeing of the breakdown is fairly hit and miss! I also think the fact we were more than one score ahead possibly affected the thought process.. maybe if we were only 3 points ahead we might have opted to hang onto the ball
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
daktari
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by daktari »

Just watched the Highlights and for Montoya's non-try, I can't see a tackle (sale player bowls into him with no arms) -not sure what KD was looking at
find a better way of life, http://www.marillion.com

marillion 19, coming ....er not sure..
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

daktari wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:08 am Just watched the Highlights and for Montoya's non-try, I can't see a tackle (sale player bowls into him with no arms) -not sure what KD was looking at
Apparently we weren't due to score a try that early in the match 🙄😂
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

daktari wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:08 am Just watched the Highlights and for Montoya's non-try, I can't see a tackle (sale player bowls into him with no arms) -not sure what KD was looking at
I thought exactly the same. Montoya is never held and the tackle is not completed so he’s entitled to carry on. The same happened later in the game with Steward too..
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

... and there were some people who said that Dickson was "not bad". I guess it depends on what you compare his abilities against. Against a dement LSD addict, Dickson is a very good ref. I think we should have far higher standards for professional premiership referees, personally.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Pellsey wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:41 am ... and there were some people who said that Dickson was "not bad". I guess it depends on what you compare his abilities against. Against a dement LSD addict, Dickson is a very good ref. I think we should have far higher standards for professional premiership referees, personally.
I thought Dickson wasn't too bad to be honest. My comments about him were along the lines of a 6/10 performance, good by his usual standards but not up to the level of many others.. think that's about right as the last few games I remember him officiating were dire and despite the disallowed try I felt he wasn't too bad
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

OakhamTiger, I was not meaning you - you always have a good and valid opinion, but I think we really should have higher standards for a Premiership Sir. He might have been better than normal, but he is still a long way from being compentent at this level. IMHO referees in the Top14 are quite a bit better, especially than Dickson.

It summed it up for me when he falsely gave a late tackle from a kicker then gave the penalty in the wrong place. He is clueless.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

What about the high tackles which weren’t even reviewed
A2O
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

ay2oh wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:01 am What about the high tackles which weren’t even reviewed
Yup, there is that as well... there is a long list!
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

ay2oh wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:01 am What about the high tackles which weren’t even reviewed
There were tackles reviewed by the TMO whilst play continued…….no requirement for a formal review and no sanction necessary.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk