Sale (H) 23rd October 2021 - 3pm

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: Sale (H) 23rd October 2021 - 3pm

Post by DingDong »

Dickson was generally poor and is still a sub standard premiership referee. The Montoya try was a no arm tackle by Wood, tackle not completed so try should of stood and Wood a YC. The head on head later in the game which he ignored despite No13 holding his own head afterwards and looked dazed (with a small cut!), still didn't get reviewed by either KD or the TMO.

There's more to reffing than decision making such as positioning, comms, player management and preventative measures, most of which KD is not up to it at Prem level. His set piece management is almost non existent. He needs better mentoring as has Carley and CM-K who both have massively improved.
Last edited by DingDong on Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

Tigerbeat wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:10 am
ay2oh wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:01 am What about the high tackles which weren’t even reviewed
There were tackles reviewed by the TMO whilst play continued…….no requirement for a formal review and no sanction necessary.
There were some, which the TMO reviewed which also had contact to the head, thereby should have been penalties, at least. The TMO was also at fault in these decisions.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Pellsey wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:01 am OakhamTiger, I was not meaning you - you always have a good and valid opinion, but I think we really should have higher standards for a Premiership Sir. He might have been better than normal, but he is still a long way from being compentent at this level. IMHO referees in the Top14 are quite a bit better, especially than Dickson.

It summed it up for me when he falsely gave a late tackle from a kicker then gave the penalty in the wrong place. He is clueless.
I do agree with you. While it may be reasonable by his standards it is someway short of what we should accept or expect at this level. Barnes and Pearce are out on their own then most of the other referees in a group together (Carley, Tempo, Foley, Ridley, Makepeace, Smales, Leal, Cox, CMK) then there's a gap... then there's Dickson :smt100

On the plus side we shouldn't have him on the whistle for a while now!
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:24 am
Pellsey wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:01 am OakhamTiger, I was not meaning you - you always have a good and valid opinion, but I think we really should have higher standards for a Premiership Sir. He might have been better than normal, but he is still a long way from being compentent at this level. IMHO referees in the Top14 are quite a bit better, especially than Dickson.

It summed it up for me when he falsely gave a late tackle from a kicker then gave the penalty in the wrong place. He is clueless.
I do agree with you. While it may be reasonable by his standards it is someway short of what we should accept or expect at this level. Barnes and Pearce are out on their own then most of the other referees in a group together (Carley, Tempo, Foley, Ridley, Makepeace, Smales, Leal, Cox, CMK) then there's a gap... then there's Dickson :smt100
Completely agree!
OakhamTiger32 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:24 am On the plus side we shouldn't have him on the whistle for a while now!
:smt038 :smt035 :smt026
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Smales looks very good from what I’ve seen!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

Dickson is indeed poor and we see little or no improvement over time.

Regarding the management of the end of the game when you have possession with 30 seconds on the clock we should have the skills to hold onto the ball until the clock turns red. The forwards should have made the decisions rather that leaving it to the SH. Back in the day Austin (and others) wouldn't have been allowed anywhere near the ball in a similar situation :smt009
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
TigerXV

Post by TigerXV »

Noggs wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:39 pm Dickson is indeed poor and we see little or no improvement over time.

Regarding the management of the end of the game when you have possession with 30 seconds on the clock we should have the skills to hold onto the ball until the clock turns red. The forwards should have made the decisions rather that leaving it to the SH. Back in the day Austin (and others) wouldn't have been allowed anywhere near the ball in a similar situation :smt009
back in the old days it was easy to seal off/hold on at the breakdown to prevent turnovers and to waste time before the next pick and drive - these days you are at the mercy of refs who can and do blow for holding on for a split second and for flopping over the tackled player. Very high risk these days particularly if refs think you are trying to wind the clock down. I think we should have been able to defend the outside the 22 line out once the time was in the red without giving away a penalty (not sure what it was for)
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

Clearly there is a risk in holding onto the ball but with good technique it should not be a problem. I believe there is a bigger risk in kicking possession away as proved to be the case on Saturday. :smt009
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Good technique not necessarily enough with some referees. We won on Saturday and I am happy, game really easy to play from the seats and terraces, Sticking the ball up the jumper a good plan in Deano's day but may not work now.
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

Clearly we will have to disagree on this one but hey.... :smt002
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Had there been less than a score and the win not secured, I would agree that keeping the ball tightly controlled would be the right decision. Kicking the ball in this instance was not going to put the win at risk.
Lets just celebrate the win and move on to next week.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Tigerbeat wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:45 am Had there been less than a score and the win not secured, I would agree that keeping the ball tightly controlled would be the right decision. Kicking the ball in this instance was not going to put the win at risk.
This ^
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

Tigerbeat wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:45 am Had there been less than a score and the win not secured, I would agree that keeping the ball tightly controlled would be the right decision. Kicking the ball in this instance was not going to put the win at risk.
I had moved on :smt002
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Noggs wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:39 pm
I had moved on :smt002
... and then got recalled :smt044 :smt044
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

I’m not a Dickson fan, which in itself is a sad comment ! Why would I be a fan of a ref ? 🙄