Sale (H) 23rd October 2021 - 3pm

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: Sale (H) 23rd October 2021 - 3pm

Post by Scott1 »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:33 pm Just finished watching the full match as was out earlier.. my thoughts:

Cracking defensive effort from the lads once again. Sale are a really well drilled, physical and powerful team and until the Dickson charity show in the last 10 minutes they couldn't find a way across the whitewash. Bit surprised they didn't tap and go from 5m out early on when they got that first penalty. Guess it shows that they weren't getting through the solid defensive line!

Dickson.. had a reasonable game.. 6/10 which by his standards is a fantastic performance. He missed a few forward passes and a really cheap shot in the first half where Manu came flying in to Nadolo who was lying on the floor.. nothing given, nothing from Kitty in the van who funny old thing remained silent but seemed identical to Kelly's citing and the one Manu got away with last week. What I did like from Dickson was he wasn't having any back chat and actually marched Sale back 10 twice in the same conversation for players giving him stick.. good to see although he gave their young 9 such an easy ride allowing him way more than 5s nearly every single ruck! Oh well, it's Dickson and to be honest he wasn't too bad today so no real complaints from me in this department aside from the cheap shot by Manu.

Sale half backs definitely impacted the game. With Faf and AJM I feel that would have ben a very different game. Sale must have turned down 4 or 5 shots at goal which with a kicker of Macginty's quality I wonder if they might have taken the points. Either way we definitely pressured their half backs into a fair few mistakes today.

Really like seeing Nadolo charging up the centre. Puts in a lot of work both out wide and coming inside looking for that crash ball. Very smart use of the big man.

Incredible offload by Wiese and what a finish by Liebenberg for our try. Reckon the injury looks like a dislocation. He didn't look comfortable when he went off but was moving it and wasn't in agony by any stretch.. hope he's ok and isn't out too long.

Ford was exceptional again today; the way he controlled the game, his delayed passes and near perfect off the tee. Steward was also outstanding and was perfect under the high ball. Must've taken something like 15 out of 15!

Some massive turnovers in there by the usual suspects but a really key one late on by Wells and my favourite was the one by Cole! He never gets rewarded but is always getting stuck in at the breakdown!

So the commentators said we haven't won our opening 6 games of a season since 1994! 27 years and here we are.. and those 6 matches included Sarries, Exeter and Sale and a few tricky away fixtures. Huge credit to the entire squad and SB for getting it spot on once again today.

Not the prettiest match but a gritty determined display that we dominated for large parts. Managed to play the officials out of the game and cancel out the threat posed by Sales massive centre partnership and even took apart their powerful scrum on a few occasions. Very well deserved win and to deny Sale a LBP at the death was a thing of beauty :smt023
What’s it on mate please?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:28 pm England camp all week.
But England do sometimes release players who they might not be intending to play in the next game.
Apparently it's a 5 day training camp from 25th so they should be finished by the weekend. Whether they play or not is another matter but the training camp in Jersey should have finished come Sat
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:36 pm
But England do sometimes release players who they might not be intending to play in the next game.
Apparently it's a 5 day training camp from 25th so they should be finished by the weekend. Whether they play or not is another matter but the training camp in Jersey should have finished come Sat
Borthwick said on RL that all our England call ups will not be available next week end
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

sapajo wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:39 pm
Borthwick said on RL that all our England call ups will not be available next week end
That decides it then, thanks :smt023
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

In the post match interviews Genge and Youngs both said they won't be playing next weekend
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

Pretty sure the England player agreement means that, if selected, players do not play within two weeks of the opening fixture. It’s one of the major differences compared to France. Same for Six Nations I think.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

I wish I’d said that
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
Greenwhiteandred
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Greenwhiteandred »

The line Hanro ran for the try was a thing of beauty. Really hope he’s back soon - makes the team tick …. As does Matt Scott , his tackling of Manu was impeccable today. Freddie was great under the high ball today but Hanro and Matt were joint MOTM for me.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Greenwhiteandred wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:17 am The line Hanro ran for the try was a thing of beauty. Really hope he’s back soon - makes the team tick …. As does Matt Scott , his tackling of Manu was impeccable today. Freddie was great under the high ball today but Hanro and Matt were joint MOTM for me.
Scott and Kelly really shut down anything coming at the Tigers midfield. Brilliant from the pair of them.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

In some ways the most impressive win this season. Finding ways to beat obdurate opponents is critical, Tigers try was a great example of clinically executing a single opportunity.
ancientmariner

Post by ancientmariner »

Sale's website match report describes Leicester's 22m line as impenetrable as a fortified trench !
Ancient Mariner
Faulks04
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Faulks04 »

Got to say I’m loving the niggle and snarl tigers have at the minute
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Just watched the highlights. Great try! There was a cross field kick where Nadolo tapped it on to a player that was absolutely clattered by Manu,looked high and wasn’t even looked at. We got a penalty at that breakdown due to not rolling away but still. Did anyone see if it was high? Looked poor first time!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:40 am Just watched the highlights. Great try! There was a cross field kick where Nadolo tapped it on to a player that was absolutely clattered by Manu,looked high and wasn’t even looked at. We got a penalty at that breakdown due to not rolling away but still. Did anyone see if it was high? Looked poor first time!
There were a few occasions by both Sale centres that should have been looked at but not even a penalty given.. 2 or 3 close calls and we got nothing
rich1576

Post by rich1576 »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:35 pm
OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:33 pm Just finished watching the full match as was out earlier.. my thoughts:

Cracking defensive effort from the lads once again. Sale are a really well drilled, physical and powerful team and until the Dickson charity show in the last 10 minutes they couldn't find a way across the whitewash. Bit surprised they didn't tap and go from 5m out early on when they got that first penalty. Guess it shows that they weren't getting through the solid defensive line!

Dickson.. had a reasonable game.. 6/10 which by his standards is a fantastic performance. He missed a few forward passes and a really cheap shot in the first half where Manu came flying in to Nadolo who was lying on the floor.. nothing given, nothing from Kitty in the van who funny old thing remained silent but seemed identical to Kelly's citing and the one Manu got away with last week. What I did like from Dickson was he wasn't having any back chat and actually marched Sale back 10 twice in the same conversation for players giving him stick.. good to see although he gave their young 9 such an easy ride allowing him way more than 5s nearly every single ruck! Oh well, it's Dickson and to be honest he wasn't too bad today so no real complaints from me in this department aside from the cheap shot by Manu.

Sale half backs definitely impacted the game. With Faf and AJM I feel that would have ben a very different game. Sale must have turned down 4 or 5 shots at goal which with a kicker of Macginty's quality I wonder if they might have taken the points. Either way we definitely pressured their half backs into a fair few mistakes today.

Really like seeing Nadolo charging up the centre. Puts in a lot of work both out wide and coming inside looking for that crash ball. Very smart use of the big man.

Incredible offload by Wiese and what a finish by Liebenberg for our try. Reckon the injury looks like a dislocation. He didn't look comfortable when he went off but was moving it and wasn't in agony by any stretch.. hope he's ok and isn't out too long.

Ford was exceptional again today; the way he controlled the game, his delayed passes and near perfect off the tee. Steward was also outstanding and was perfect under the high ball. Must've taken something like 15 out of 15!

Some massive turnovers in there by the usual suspects but a really key one late on by Wells and my favourite was the one by Cole! He never gets rewarded but is always getting stuck in at the breakdown!

So the commentators said we haven't won our opening 6 games of a season since 1994! 27 years and here we are.. and those 6 matches included Sarries, Exeter and Sale and a few tricky away fixtures. Huge credit to the entire squad and SB for getting it spot on once again today.

Not the prettiest match but a gritty determined display that we dominated for large parts. Managed to play the officials out of the game and cancel out the threat posed by Sales massive centre partnership and even took apart their powerful scrum on a few occasions. Very well deserved win and to deny Sale a LBP at the death was a thing of beauty :smt023
What’s it on mate please?
Full replay of match is available on Premiership rugby site https://www.premiershiprugby.com/watch/ ... ks-round-6