Gallagher Premiership Week 5 (Other Games)

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Gallagher Premiership Week 5 (Other Games)

Post by kk20gb30 »

Week 5 begins this evening (Oct 16) with :

Sale Vs Harlequins (19:45 Kick off)
Interesting game in prospect and one that I looking forward to.Potentially a massive clash of styles in prospect ...

Complete set of fixtures for Round 5 :

Sat Oct 17:

Newcastle Vs Bristol
Worcester Vs Leicester
Wasps Vs Exeter

All 15:00 Kickoff

Sun Oct 18:

Bath Vs Saracens
London Irish Vs Gloucester

Both 15:00 Kick Off.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Gallagher Premiership Week 5 (Other Games)

Post by Bunchy »

Some tasty encounters

Ignoring the moral rights and wrongs, Exeter will be very fired up by Wasps statements over head dresses......
Winless bath facing the daunting task of what will be a full strength Sarries side.
Out of form Bristol on the plastic at Kingston Park.
Less is more....
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Friday night in Manchester is a tough ask, Quins will do well to get anything out of that, Sale still missing Faff, but with Curry in the back row they will be tough to beat I think.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

tigerburnie wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:18 am Friday night in Manchester is a tough ask, Quins will do well to get anything out of that, Sale still missing Faff, but with Curry in the back row they will be tough to beat I think.
Sale have 20 year old Quirke and 22 Wilkinson at half back, if Care and Smith can't take advantage of that then their hype isn't warranted. Keep them pinned back and counter attack off the Sale clearing kicks or forced penalties.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Curry boasting in the Times today "Smith is talented but they haven't faced a defence like ours".
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Old Hob wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:30 pm Curry boasting in the Times today "Smith is talented but they haven't faced a defence like ours".
Smith has been overhyped IMO; he's really good but not that good, not yet. mindful of more promising players not getting there - think Ruck had a 'next best thing' thread a while back - very instructive. Curry may be blagging it, but i think some offensive defences might pose Smith considerable problems.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

jgriffin wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:08 pm
Old Hob wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:30 pm Curry boasting in the Times today "Smith is talented but they haven't faced a defence like ours".
Smith has been overhyped IMO; he's really good but not that good, not yet. mindful of more promising players not getting there - think Ruck had a 'next best thing' thread a while back - very instructive. Curry may be blagging it, but i think some offensive defences might pose Smith considerable problems.
Right with you on this JG. Just thinking about him having the likes of Jasper, MvS, Hanro, Nadolo and Genge running down his channel. :smt003
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I mean I thought he struggled till the final 20 v us at home last season.

It’s all well and good pulling off these comebacks in the premiership but it’s another thing giving SA or NZ a 20 point lead at half time
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

jgriffin wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:08 pm
Agreed, would still rather have Fordy. Smith is like Cipriani without (so far) the histrionics. He is, undoubtedly, very talented and sure punches above his weight in many areas but as we've seen before Quins have a style that adapts to him.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:59 pm I mean I thought he struggled till the final 20 v us at home last season.

It’s all well and good pulling off these comebacks in the premiership but it’s another thing giving SA or NZ a 20 point lead at half time
I thought Smith and Care got given a lesson in game management that day. Two men up at one point and trying to play out their own 22 was a special kind of stupid.

Smith is a player still developing but he has the raw materials to be a fantastic player. I think the England squad involvement has been good for him. Has got him some exposure of rugby that differs from the Quins way. Care for all his talent struggled to adapt to a brand of rugby that wasn't the fast paced Quins template which is why his international career ended when it did. Couldn't develop his tactical game. If Smith can offer the tactical touches that his mentor Nick Evans used to and still offer the attacking threat he'll be a real asset for Quins and England.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Smith is undoubtedly a very good player who is superb when quins get parity up front but what we don’t know is what happens when their pack is under pressure. I will be interested to see him against Tigers as I believe we have the pack to cause anyone problems in the scrum addition to our big ball carriers running down his channel.
A2O
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Are there any FH in the world who excel when their pack is going backwards?!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Scott1 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:24 pm Are there any FH in the world who excel when their pack is going backwards?!
No, but there are ones who can still control the game with some ease.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:07 pm
Scott1 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:24 pm Are there any FH in the world who excel when their pack is going backwards?!
No, but there are ones who can still control the game with some ease.
I just think the criticism of Smith is harsh at times mate. He’s still learning his craft
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I think it’s more aimed at the hype than the player.