Worcester (A) 16th October - 3pm

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Worcester (A) 16th October - 3pm

Post by Bunchy »

What I like about this situation is the fact that I totally trust the coaches to make the call - it's not always been the case...

He will make the call based on many factors we cant be aware of too - such as slight knocks, the analysis of his fitness and mobility in the previous match etc

However, that said, it doesnt stop me loving this thread each game
Less is more....
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

ABClub wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:14 pm
Crofty wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:03 pm
ay2oh wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:01 pm Will be interesting when renewing contracts and hopefully we won’t lose players that we want to keep.
And/or the next class out of the academy will have to step up to replace leavers from among this class. This sort of churn is honestly the only way I can see for clubs to stay at the top without resorting to Sarries style financial shenanigans...
Matt Scott and Leatigaga are two of my concerns in that regard. Leatigaga has improved so much at Tigers and will be a target for many clubs now. Playing both sides and carrying like he does catches the eye. Scott signed on a relatively low contract after his Edinburgh deal fell through. He's found form and fitness here so again will have offers.

Ford is also a worry of course. If he's out the England frame long term then that's a lot of money gone in appearance fees, he may well look to France or even rugby league.

Interesting that Nadolo spoke about wanting to make the 2023 RWC with Fiji. Hopefully that means we get at least one more season out of the big man.
Leatigaga is a concern, but I wonder if we could tempt De Bruin back from Edinburgh. He signed for them pretty much before we had a chance to sign him and he was needing a route out a club that was struggling. He may have enjoyed himself and I don't think he's been getting much gametime north of the border so he could come back. Also I've been impressed by both Whitcombe and Hurd so even if Leatigaga leaves we have people who can step up.

Scott, less of a concern, look at our centre options 18 months ago:
Tuilagi
Eastmond
Reid
Replaced with:
Moroni
Scott
Kelly

Whilst he will be able to demand higher wages, we've likely got a bit of room at centre for paying a bit more

If Ford goes it does open a marquee slot, so whilst never ideal to lose your star man, we're in a position where we can afford to get a top drawer replacement.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

De Bruin had an injury to start the season but started against the Stormers now he's fit. I live in Edinburgh and attend quite a few games. He's getting well paid and rumours that WP Nel might move into coaching with Luan the replacement. Seems unlikely he'd come back.

I'm not sure how much we can draw from 18 months ago with the salary cap given that was pre cap reduction!

Moroni is a strong international so won't have been cheap. Burns salary won't have been a like for like replacement for Zack Henry either, Freddie's more established so will be on more.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Steve Borthwick is hopeful that Leicester Tigers captain Ellis Genge will be fit to pack down against Worcester Warriors this weekend.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/spor ... rs-6046084
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

I was a big fan of De Bruin…massive impact …Lady Gaga gives something different but in a really good way and we MUST keep Scotty …I also wonder if Borthwick really fancies Heyes ? Personally think he’s great but he needs game time over Cole but he’s still not getting it …if Heyes doesn’t get game time could we maybe lose Heyes too? I haven’t seen enough of Hurd to know if he would fill such a gap if that happened ?
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

KiwiTig wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:54 pm I was a big fan of De Bruin…massive impact …Lady Gaga gives something different but in a really good way and we MUST keep Scotty …I also wonder if Borthwick really fancies Heyes ? Personally think he’s great but he needs game time over Cole but he’s still not getting it …if Heyes doesn’t get game time could we maybe lose Heyes too? I haven’t seen enough of Hurd to know if he would fill such a gap if that happened ?
Heyes played a lot of minutes last season often sharing games with Cole. Cole first half and Heyes on just after HT. The lack of game time this season probably suggests Heyes has had a niggle more than anything. I doubt Borthwick would have wanted to play Cole as much as he has but he might not have had an option.

I suspect Hurd not going out on loan was also driven by the Heyes niggle though we're unlikely to get that confirmed by Borthwick.
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

That does seem to make sense, I hope you’re right Sam
TigerMac3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by TigerMac3 »

Not sure if I've missed it or its just not been communicated, but do we know what the situation with T Youngs is? Was he missing from selection initially to a carry over of last seasons Bristol incident? Or is there an injury?

Have seen from the Tigers socials that Brink is training again - albeit, from what I've seen, only gym work. Would be great to get him back asap with the AIs coming up. Clare is the only other one that there seems to be no mention of. Was unaware that he carried an injury over from last season (ala Taute) - was he injured in pre-season?

Whilst I get this cloak and dagger approach to injuries from SB, its really frustrating for fans!
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

TigerMac3 wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:43 am Not sure if I've missed it or its just not been communicated, but do we know what the situation with T Youngs is? Was he missing from selection initially to a carry over of last seasons Bristol incident? Or is there an injury?
All SB has said is that Youngs is currently unavailable.
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Referee: Luke Pearce (116th Premiership game). Assistant Referees: Sara Cox & Joe James. TMO: Craig Maxwell-Keys. Citing Officer: Jay Curts.

Pretty happy with this. Second only to Barnes imho. Makes me far more confident of a fairly officiated contest
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

KiwiTig wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:54 pm I was a big fan of De Bruin…massive impact …Lady Gaga gives something different but in a really good way and we MUST keep Scotty …I also wonder if Borthwick really fancies Heyes ? Personally think he’s great but he needs game time over Cole but he’s still not getting it …if Heyes doesn’t get game time could we maybe lose Heyes too? I haven’t seen enough of Hurd to know if he would fill such a gap if that happened ?
Hurd has talent but wouldn't be a replacement for Heyes by a long stretch.

Heyes looks like a potential 50+ cap international who might make a Lions tour in time. All the raw skills are there. He's powerful in the scrum, carries well and throws his weight around in defence.

Hurd on the other hand looks like a player who could be a solid Premiership squad player but I'd be surprised if he won more than a handful of caps for Scotland. The nature of only having 2 pro teams is that Scotland tend to cap a lot of props when coping with injuries. Murray McCallum and Darcy Rae spring to mind there.

The 19/20 season was interesting with Heyes and Leatigaga's game time. Heyes had far more starts (14 across competitions to Nephi's 4) but Leatigaga had slightly more appearances (27 to Joe's 24). Basically Leatigaga is an ideal bench option with his carrying and breakdown work destructive late on, plus the ability to scrummage both sides making him easy to fit into the 23. Heyes was far preferred as a starter though, even at 20-years-old.

Nephi's injuries meant we didn't see that last season but with him back firing I think we will see Cole and Heyes rotate as starter again with Leatigaga ideal off the bench.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Is it me or has our scrums struggled this season?
IDK if it's coaching, lack of weight at lock or what.

Just doesn't seem as secure.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

RagingBull wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:41 pm Is it me or has our scrums struggled this season?

It's felt one extreme or the other to me. Either on top or creaking.

I think Lavanini is a loss as a scrummager. He's limited and a bit of a blunt instrument but the things he did well he does to top international standard, I think scrummaging was one of those given he's pushing 21 stone and a phenomenal athlete so a lot of power to lose in the row.

Whilst Dolly has been absolute terrific it's also worth noting he isn't the biggest hooker. Chatting with Sale fans when he joined they seemed to feel scrummaging was never a strength without being a glaring weakness either. Against Chiefs there were 2 scrums in the second half when struggled to get the strike which was against another smaller hooker in Innard. Since then he's largely been against Singleton, George and Creevy who are strong scrummagers.

As said he's stepped up fantastically overall but I do think scrummaging is a weaker aspect of his game. Particularly compared to Montoya, Youngs and Clare who are all strong scrummaging hookers.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

RagingBull wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:41 pm Is it me or has our scrums struggled this season?

I was thinking the same. Dolly has been exceptionally good so far but he has missed a few strikes and I think the return of Montoya will definitely sure up this area. I think a pack of Genge Montoya Cole Wells Snyman Liebenberg Van Staden Wiese would be a match for most if not all packs in the Premiership
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:27 pm

I was thinking the same. Dolly has been exceptionally good so far but he has missed a few strikes and I think the return of Montoya will definitely sure up this area. I think a pack of Genge Montoya Cole Wells Snyman Liebenberg Van Staden Wiese would be a match for most if not all packs in the Premiership
And most international packs too! :smt045
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.