Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Noggs
Super User
Super User

Re: Colour-blind Awareness in rugby

Post by Noggs »

GB72 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:44 pm
johnthegriff wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:43 am Not quite sure where we go from here, from reading the article and comments we learn that there is a problem distinguishing between red and green, dark blue and red and also purple and brown, no doubt other colour combinations pose problems for some. Should we just say that all home teams play in a dark shade and all away teams in a light one?
I would be happy with the stance taken in the NFl. Home kit is your team colours, away kit is white with small stripes etc in team colours.
You hit a problem if the team is playing England at HQ :smt003
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
Nofrontteeth
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Nofrontteeth »

I'm going to sound totally out of order to some but colour blindness is not a block to driving. The red light to the top. Pedestrian crossings, safety signs etc have symbols, and rugby shirts are covered in logos.
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

The light-dark match up would seem to be a good approach- I don’t know enough about the issue to be certain it would work, but I’d imagine it would help. As others have noted, waiting until 2027 to enforce is ridiculous…especially given clubs are so keen to redesign their kit annually in order to turn a profit!
tjs10inOz

Post by tjs10inOz »

johnthegriff wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:43 am Not quite sure where we go from here, from reading the article and comments we learn that there is a problem distinguishing between red and green, dark blue and red and also purple and brown, no doubt other colour combinations pose problems for some. Should we just say that all home teams play in a dark shade and all away teams in a light one?
That used to be the rules for kits in the Premiership, & it initially started off sensible, before being murkier over time.

For example, some teams had a red kit (such as Gloucester) classed as the "light" option, meaning they could have a dark blue as their "dark" alternative, but other teams could have a red alternate kit as their "dark" option.
That potentially meant that teams playing Gloucester (Light kit: red) should technically be playing in their "dark" (also red) kit! Common sense meant it didn't happen, but if they had followed the regulations it would have done!

Another way used to change a "dark" coloured kit to a "light" coloured kit was to pair the shirt with white shorts.
Eg red shirt/white shorts = light.
red shirt/red shorts = dark.

In short, while the light/dark logic works in theory, it doesn't always work in practice, without a multitude of exemptions and grey areas. (Incidentally, would grey be classed as light or dark I wonder?)

Sometimes though, I think kit clashes are engineered primarily to sell more merch. Afterall, who actually NEEDS a third strip/European strip?

Just be glad you aren't into buying Australian rugby jerseys!
Across the 25 rounds of the 2021 NRL season, the 16 clubs used a total of 79 different jerseys. The Rabbitohs used SEVEN different jerseys in the regular season, with 4 of them only being worn once!

In the 2021 Super Rugby AU & Trans-Tasman seasons, Western Force wore SIX different jerseys across 14 games, with a 7th jersey being used in pre-season! ("Thankfully", only 4 of those designs were ever available for public sale...)
Formerly tjs10 but forgot my login info!
Now living in Western Australia and working in Hockey but still watching rugby whenever i can!
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

...........also........going back even further into the mists of time it used to be the HOME side that changed in the event of a clash?

Presumably because they would have a set of shirts in the clubhouse and the travelling side don't have spares in the kit bag.

(Scotland v France at Murrayfield, Scotland wear white?)
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Nofrontteeth
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Nofrontteeth »

-- and Dai touch judges were provided by the clubs, but that fits into other threads.
Tigersunited

Post by Tigersunited »

As someone with colourblindness this will make a real difference.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Tigersunited wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:43 am As someone with colourblindness this will make a real difference.
Not having it, it's hard for me to judge importance so hearing you say it means it's worth it. All teams have away kits so therefore shouldn't be hard to implement so I have no idea why they're waiting years to introduce it....
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.