Colour-blind Awareness in rugby

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Colour-blind Awareness in rugby

Post by chris111 »

Very welcome story from the Guardian tonight - I hadn’t appreciated just how how prevalent this issue is, and how many spectators at WR might find it so difficult when we play against teams in red.
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/ ... blind-fans
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Re: Colour-blind Awareness in rugby

Post by Old Hob »

Crikey! One of those things that's obvious when pointed out to dummies like me. Good point, well made.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

I was proud of myself for resisting the temptation to add a facetious remark about how this might have impacted on the game last weekend…😇
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Shame they don’t apply the same where the shirts are just plain similar.
VernonAtrium

Post by VernonAtrium »

Imagine the chaos if these people couldn't see the colour blue.
tjs10inOz

Post by tjs10inOz »

As someone with CVD, I can appreciate the issue and the difficulties it could pose for spectators.

Thankfully, my deficiency generally affects blue/purple or green/brown combinations, and the general lack of purple or brown kits means that my rugby viewing is thankfully largely unaffected.

It does remind me though of the immortal quote from the voice of snooker, Ted Lowe:

"...and for those of you who are watching in black and white, the pink is next to the green."
Formerly tjs10 but forgot my login info!
Now living in Western Australia and working in Hockey but still watching rugby whenever i can!
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

World Rugby is to introduce new laws at the 2027 World Cup that will ban red-green kit clashes to help people with colour vision deficiency (CVD).
Why 2027 though? Why not this 6 Nations, whats the difference? Every single team in the world has a change strip so why wait!
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

chris111 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:13 pm I was proud of myself for resisting the temptation to add a facetious remark about how this might have impacted on the game last weekend…😇
+1 😇 😁
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Not quite sure where we go from here, from reading the article and comments we learn that there is a problem distinguishing between red and green, dark blue and red and also purple and brown, no doubt other colour combinations pose problems for some. Should we just say that all home teams play in a dark shade and all away teams in a light one?
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Shirts and skins???
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

johnthegriff wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:43 am Not quite sure where we go from here, from reading the article and comments we learn that there is a problem distinguishing between red and green, dark blue and red and also purple and brown, no doubt other colour combinations pose problems for some. Should we just say that all home teams play in a dark shade and all away teams in a light one?
I think that was the fundamental requirement for home and away strips put out some years back. One predominantly light kit and one predominantly dark.

If you look at the recent Glos game both teams wore light kit. There were observations made.
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

tjs10inOz wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:49 am It does remind me though of the immortal quote from the voice of snooker, Ted Lowe:

"...and for those of you who are watching in black and white, the pink is next to the green."
Remember it well. It was a 'Pot Black' program and I was one of the ones watching in black and white. Those were the days :smt001
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

In the days of the dark blue red and green hooped "Vauxhall" kit did we not take our change kit to London Irish and have to turn it inside out, showing the white lining, to avoid a clash?
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

johnthegriff wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:43 am Not quite sure where we go from here, from reading the article and comments we learn that there is a problem distinguishing between red and green, dark blue and red and also purple and brown, no doubt other colour combinations pose problems for some. Should we just say that all home teams play in a dark shade and all away teams in a light one?
Works for Ice Hockey
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

I would be happy with the stance taken in the NFl. Home kit is your team colours, away kit is white with small stripes etc in team colours.