Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Noggs
Super User
Super User

Re: Weakened Saracens side

Post by Noggs »

difficult not to enjoy it :smt040
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

physiodan wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:55 pm 12. 2nd Moroni, Kelly
13. 3rd Taute, Scott, Porter
Last season I would have said:

12. Scott, Kelly
13. Moroni, Porter, Taute

but Scott has played 13 the first 2 games this season so who knows :smt017 I'd expect Moroni to be a nailed on 13 when he's available with Kelly and Scott in the 12 shirt. Socino and Porter will provide great extra cover at 12 and 13 respectively but we seem to be trying some different partnership in the hope of finding our best combination. I think Moroni has to be in there somewhere when he's available otherwise Scott and Kelly seem to be the preferred options atm.
Last edited by OakhamTiger32 on Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

1.Genge 2.Montoya 3.Cole 4.Wells 5.Green 6.Liebenberg 7.Reffell 8.Wiese
9.Youngs 10.Ford 11.Nadolo 12.Scott 13.Moroni 14.Potter 15.Steward

16.Youngs 17.Leatigaga 18.Heyes 19.Martin 20.van Staden 21.JvP 22.Burns 23.Kelly

Full strength I'd expect to look something like that so missing Montoya, Wiese, Nadolo, Scott, Moroni, Potter, OTY, Heyes and van Staden from the match day squad. 9 first choices missing from the 23.

Genge, Wells and Steward were also on the bench rather than starting as they certainly would at full strength.

Sarries at full strength will be something like below.

1.Vunipola 2.George 3.Koch 4.Itoje 5.Isiekwe 6.Wray 7.Earl 8.Vunipola
9.Davies 10.Farrell 11.Daly 12.Tompkins 13.Lozowski 14.Maitland 15.Malins

16.Woolstencroft 17.Adams-Hale 18.Riccioni 19.Swinson 20.Christie 21.van Zyl 22.Goode 23.Morris

So missing Mako V, Koch, Itoje, Daly, Maitland and van Zyl from the 23 on Saturday, which is 6 first choices missing.

Scrum-half is difficult to know what their first choice will be with van Zyl and de Haas to come, plus them being week there anyway. Also difficult to know if Malins or Goode will start at fullback when everyone's available. Segun or Malins (as a winger) might overtake Maitland as well I guess.

If we're splitting hairs then Barrington might play ahead of Adams-Hale if fit and certainly would be on the bench ahead of Mawi. He's hardly going to do a number on Coley at scrum time and turn that game on its head.

In terms of numbers absent Tigers were the more depleted side. Itoje in particular is of course a massive absentee though.
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

It's all just part of the media's quite frankly baffling narrative to rehabilitate the image of Salarysins post being caught and "punished" for massive cheating. The only logic I can see for it is that they don't want to admit they were wrong with all those years of guff about "there's something special happening at Sarries"...
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

With all this talk of squad depth, which is commendable, and shows good recruitment missing in previous years are we not worried about a little pot, kettle, black here.

Are we squeaky clean as far as the cap goes? I sometimes wonder.

Some days it all seems too good to be true!
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Big Dai wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:22 pm With all this talk of squad depth, which is commendable, and shows good recruitment missing in previous years are we not worried about a little pot, kettle, black here.

That would be the single most stupid thing we could do, when we hired our South Africans were any internationals? We have a smattering of players who were in our development side a year ago, Martin, JvP probably not on a big wage yet, with Wiggs going to a coaching role, that also takes him out of the cap does it not? Had anyone heard of Steward, Potter or Porter before they came to us? The rise of the side and profile of our players could well cause problems come wage negotiating time in the future though.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

tigerburnie wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:47 pm
Big Dai wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:22 pm With all this talk of squad depth, which is commendable, and shows good recruitment missing in previous years are we not worried about a little pot, kettle, black here.

That would be the single most stupid thing we could do, when we hired our South Africans were any internationals? We have a smattering of players who were in our development side a year ago, Martin, JvP probably not on a big wage yet, with Wiggs going to a coaching role, that also takes him out of the cap does it not? Had anyone heard of Steward, Potter or Porter before they came to us? The rise of the side and profile of our players could well cause problems come wage negotiating time in the future though.
I think there's a lot to be praised here, both in development and in recruitment, but as things go forward the only way is up for the wage bill as you say......and we'll certainly lose a few to the transfer merry go round.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

They were never going to plat Macko. Cole has had him on toast too many times. :smt002

We were on our 4th and 5th choice hooker. Imagine what would have happened if Montoya had been there? Dolly has been good in the lineout, in the loose and the mauls but as yet he is not yet a scrummaging hooker like Montoya or Clare.

I was shocked at how badly George was playing. A year down a division has done him no favours. Whether EJ will bring himself to look beyond the Sarries players I doubt.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Brian Moore, writing in the Daily Telegraph, acknowledged that Tigers were understrength, he wrote a very balanced analysis of how Refs' decisions go by comparing our good fortune that Kelly's foul play was missed, against the decision that went against Bath. Moore, in my opinion, consistently posts very sensible reports. :smt024
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

Also he’s my favourite analyst. His 6N comments on the BBC are a class apart and very entertaining.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Our squad isn't one I'd look at and have concerns about the cap at all currently. If we keep winning the issues will come when the players that have improved a lot at Tigers come up for renewal as they will be in higher demand.

By the time they next re-sign I could see Steward, Martin, JvP and Heyes being regulars in the England squad.

Reffell will be on the WRU's radar. Though the talent Wales have at openside is impressive.

Edinburgh and Glasgow will be looking very closely at Cam Henderson.

If Chessum keeps playing as he did on Saturday then he'll be due a big pay bump. Set piece locks are gold dust.

Top 14 clubs would be all over Liebenberg with his all round game, leadership and lineout work.

Likewise with Leatigaga. He's improved so much at Tigers and is exactly the sort of prop the Top 14 love. His impact from the bench is consistently excellent. His carrying against tiring defences produces quick ball whilst he's a very good jackal given he's so difficult to shift once over the ball.

Someone like Matt Scott we also got as an absolute steal after his Edinburgh deal fell through. He's found fitness and really good form at Tigers. To keep his at renewal would mean a significant increase I'd guess after some good fortune in him being at a loose end when Tigers were desperate for centres.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Players tend to stick around and be less demanding if the coaching is good, the team vibe good, they feel successful, etc.

If you look back to pre-Borthwick the churn was a result of unsettled/poor coaching, team was struggling and so on. And bless him, when Manu is drawing a stack and hardly playing, it's not good for morale either.