London Irish (A) Sat 9th Oct

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Re: London Irish (A) Sat 9th Oct & Worcester (A) Sat 16th Oct

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

markharbtiger wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:39 pm Little bit surprised that we've got certain TRC players in action so soon. I had assumed they'd have been given a break. Maybe Jasper is having a break?
It's been a long season for some of the Boks already.
But aside from that, it looks a STRONG side...
Marco only played about 80 minutes of rugby for SA over the summer I believe so not really surprised with his inclusion. Montoya played far more and I doubt would have been included if Youngs or Clare were available. Wiese and Moroni being rested with a fair few minutes played. Case by case basis and seems to all make sense.
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:43 pm
markharbtiger wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:39 pm Little bit surprised that we've got certain TRC players in action so soon. I had assumed they'd have been given a break. Maybe Jasper is having a break?
Marco only played about 80 minutes of rugby for SA over the summer I believe so not really surprised with his inclusion. Montoya played far more and I doubt would have been included if Youngs or Clare were available. Wiese and Moroni being rested with a fair few minutes played. Case by case basis and seems to all make sense.
OakhamTiger32 you're exactly correct re playing time, but I was also factoring in time spent away from home in the bubble in Queensland for TRC, and that players would be allowed some time off accordingly. Of course I am very pleased to see them in the squad!
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Bench :smt038 :smt038
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

jgriffin wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:11 pm Bench :smt038 :smt038
Very strong. I think I'd be equally happy with the 8 on the bench starting.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Big game and a big side picked for it, confident having seen our squad, that is some bench.
COME ON YOU TIGERRrrrrssssss
:smt027 :smt027 :smt027
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Really strong squad for tomorrow. Irish are one of those sides where you just don't know what's going to happen, which makes them very dangerous. They can be under the cosh, out of sorts and looking down and out but have the potential to turn things around in a heartbeat. Their recent comebacks back this up. I would like to think if our defence is as good as it's been and we can squeeze them in the set piece and the tight exchanges, that we'll run out winners. There's some serious firepower on the bench for us. When everyone is back and available, it's now a really difficult task to select your best 23, there are so many options now.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

It's going to prove difficult to sit on my hands and wait for the Sunday TV. Looks very promising.

IBWT
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

markharbtiger wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:02 pm
OakhamTiger32 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:43 pm
OakhamTiger32 you're exactly correct re playing time, but I was also factoring in time spent away from home in the bubble in Queensland for TRC, and that players would be allowed some time off accordingly. Of course I am very pleased to see them in the squad!
I think Argentina and South Africa were both on the red list so when travel arrangements were discussed and planned no one would have known they'd have been more accessible from the 11th (as that was announced yesterday). To avoid quarantining they'd have come straight here from Australia. Once they were here the medics and coaches will have given them the once over and noted which need a bit more recuperation time and which ones just want to get on and play.
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

Shows SB must rate Van Staden and Montoya very highly but also how short we are there at the moment. Montoya in particular will surely only be used sparingly- there a few positions more crucial to a team than the hooker. SB done well to keep the injury situation with Clare and Youngs under wraps. Cant wait to see Van Staden play.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:04 pm London Irish: Team news

15 Tom Parton, 14 Ben Loader, 13 Curtis Rona, 12 Terrence Hepetema, 11 Ollie Hassell-Collins, 10 Paddy Jackson, 9 Nick Phipps, 1 Will Goodrick-Clarke, 2 Agustin Creevy, 3 Marcel van der Merwe, 4 Steve Mafi, 5 Adam Coleman, 6 Matt Rogerson (c), 7 Ben Donnell, 8 Albert Tuisue.

Replacements: 16 Matt Cornish, 17 Allan Dell, 18 Ollie Hoskins, 19 Rob Simmons, 20 George Nott, 21 Sean O’Brien, 22 Hugh O’Sullivan, 23 Benhard van Rensburg
I have to confess that I don't know too much about Irish, but if this is the best they have to offer then I think it will be a comfortable win for us. I do know Hepetema, dont rate him, Creevy and Jackson I do rate, think Mafi is probably past his best, with our bench should be a comfortable win. :smt045 :smt038
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Not sure abut that LE 18. Mafi, I thought, was looking rejuvenated and their backline is pretty quick. Still, I hope you are right IBWT
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

LE18 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:51 pm
OakhamTiger32 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:04 pm London Irish: Team news

15 Tom Parton, 14 Ben Loader, 13 Curtis Rona, 12 Terrence Hepetema, 11 Ollie Hassell-Collins, 10 Paddy Jackson, 9 Nick Phipps, 1 Will Goodrick-Clarke, 2 Agustin Creevy, 3 Marcel van der Merwe, 4 Steve Mafi, 5 Adam Coleman, 6 Matt Rogerson (c), 7 Ben Donnell, 8 Albert Tuisue.

Replacements: 16 Matt Cornish, 17 Allan Dell, 18 Ollie Hoskins, 19 Rob Simmons, 20 George Nott, 21 Sean O’Brien, 22 Hugh O’Sullivan, 23 Benhard van Rensburg
I have to confess that I don't know too much about Irish, but if this is the best they have to offer then I think it will be a comfortable win for us. I do know Hepetema, dont rate him, Creevy and Jackson I do rate, think Mafi is probably past his best, with our bench should be a comfortable win. :smt045 :smt038
It’s a side that narrowly lost to Saints and drew with Sale having been 17-0 down. Definitely wouldn’t underestimate them. Their academy back 3 are quality and they have a very solid and settled pack. It’s very similar to the side we lost 22-9 to in this fixture last year and that pushed us all the way with a late rally to get back to 33-32 at MWWR. We are in much better shape than last year so I really fancy our chances but it’ll be a tight game for sure
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

We're going to lose a game eventually, I really hope it's not this one after the heroics last week but Irish have been a banana skin for us the last couple of seasons.

That being said, and looking at the team sheets, I still think Tigers should win this and as is becoming a gratifying to see mantra on here; In Borthwick We Trust
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Very good from BT Sport - it’s the Dolly Parton derby tomorrow !
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

These next two away games will show us all where Tigers are at in terms of progress. I’ve been to Irish (Reading) many times with expectations high only to see them outplay us! Worcester too is never straightforward.
One game at a time but any team like Irish that can come from being well behind against Sale to draw and unlucky not to win will be hard to beat.