South African & Argentinian Players returns

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

South African & Argentinian Players returns

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Given both New Zealand & Australia are green listed countries, so no quarantine requirements means pretty soon we may have Montoya, Moroni, Van Staden & Wiese back with us (likely this week). With no official requirement to rest them it will be interesting to see how long it is before they play for us.

With OTY & Clare not having played yet I suspect that Montoya will be very quickly back into the 23, Dolly has repeatedly put big shifts in for us so having Montoya back, I suspect he'll sit out the LI game, but be on the bench for Worcester and probably start vs Sale.

Moroni & Van Staden haven't had particularly onerous summers either so it may not be too long before we see them (depending on the severity of Van Staden's knock)

The one I think we have to give a proper breather to is Wiese, he joined us immediately after the SA season last year, literally played his first game just after finishing quarantine, then had a lot of rugby (his only real break was his ban), then lions tour, then rugby Championship. Think he may be worth giving a proper break to, I'd rather see him fit and firing t the business end of the season.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: South African & Argentinian Players returns

Post by sam16111986 »

Depends whether the club have given them permission to return home and see their families having been in a bubble in Australia for a while. I doubt we'll see much of them before November and that's probably for the best.

The side is performing well we don't need to rush players back we can afford to let them heal up a bit before bringing them back in. We want them fit through to May so take our time.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Dolly has been a revelation so even Montoya might get a rest.

Scrums are going to be fun with Cole, Montoya and Genge in demolition mode!

Withe Heyes, Youngs/Clare and Lady Gagga to munch the opposition bench!
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Player welfare should extend to non British players as well, so I'd give them a couple of weeks off then ease the back in gently.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

ads wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:48 pm Player welfare should extend to non British players as well, so I'd give them a couple of weeks off then ease the back in gently.
A couple of weeks off and it will be time for them to team up for the autumn internationals
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

If we’re genuine about player welfare, I’m hoping (for the right reasons) that we don’t see them until after the autumn internationals.
However much game time each has had, they’ve still been training and need a break from rugby to recover and come back refreshed.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

The bubble environments are exhausting enough as it is, without factoring in game time.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

With the Autumn internationals around the corner I can see these player not being available until December. Most need a rest.
SthrnTiger

Post by SthrnTiger »

Given autumn internationals go on till late November wouldn’t be surprised if we don’t see some of them until January.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

I'd be surprised if we saw any of them soon. Two of them have been recently injured so are unlikely to feature soon. The other two will probably get some time off, Wiese likely needs it after the Lions series and TRC more or less back-to-back. December or January seem most likely. But as we saw with this weekend's team selection, SB's policy is to rotate, so who knows. Several forwards have had a lot of game time so far, and could well be rested.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Having just had a quick look at the SA rugby site, https://springboks.rugby/news-features/ ... -end-tour/ which says that the players are getting a break (two weeks) before preparation for the autumn tests begins, so that suggests we might not be seeing our Boks until December...
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

It seems yet again we are back in the situation where we are paying our players who play in the championship for a full season when they only pay half a season. I wonder what has changed as its a luxury we previously could not afford Polata Nau, Matt Toomua and Lavanini springs to mind?

I must say that Wiese, Moroni, Montoya and Van Staden are world class players but how often will they be playing in a Tigers shirt ?

It begs the question is the club I doubt being paid compensation for international absences from SA and Argentina as we do for our England players?
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

I too don't think we will see any of our South Africans or Argentinians until after Christmas. I’m not sure whether we are getting good value for money or not but that’s why Borthwick is right to play the youngsters as much as possible: they are the future. Cowan Dickie might well find he’s here all season.
We will struggle during the Internationals if we pick up injuries and might need more loan players.
The elongated International season has always annoyed me as clubs and we season ticket holders have to suffer.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I would get Wiese on the bench v Worcester IF possible, certainly for the Sale home game
He's played 176 minutes in the rugby championship with 4 weeks off during it.
Played in his last 3 games
24 minutes
11 minutes
27 minutes

Van Staden depends on his injuries.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Ian Cant wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:05 pm I too don't think we will see any of our South Africans or Argentinians until after Christmas.
I’d be very surprised if they don’t return until then. Expect to see most back by Sale. Van Staden will depend on the extent of his injury but Montoya, Wiese and Moroni I think will be all in contention for the home match against Sale on 23 Oct or the away match to Saints a week later. Only 1 premiership match in Nov as the premiership cup returns so they’ll likely get some rest then. I guess we will see but I’d like to see them feature against Sale, Saints and Bath then rested for the cup games
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!