Ben Kay

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

YoWaGoWan
Tiger Cub

Ben Kay

Post by YoWaGoWan »

Did anyone else feel sorry for Ben (who just lost his seat on the board )that we lost.Quote (i did'nt think tigers deserved to win )I know we were outplayed in the first half but determination from our team throughout,plus the fans contribution ,who were FANtastic, definately qualified us a win.( I B W T ). :smt041 :smt041 :smt041
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: Ben Kay

Post by RagingBull »

I think Ben was just doing his job tbh.
He still talks very highly of Tigers
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Ben and Oz both do a very good job in giving a neutral opinion when doing a Tigers game, other BT pundits could learn from them, not just the rugby ones either
BengalTiger

Post by BengalTiger »

Ben is a very balanced commentator and gives an honest assessment, long may it continue!
YoWaGoWan
Tiger Cub

Post by YoWaGoWan »

BengalTiger wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:29 pm Ben is a very balanced commentator and gives an honest assessment, long may it continue!
No one who watched that game could possibly believe that we did'nt deserve to win,yes they had a higher skill level but we won that through sheer doggedness and a determination and belief in ourselves which is a type of skill in itself instilled by SB.It might have been an honest assessment by him but he was wrong.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

YoWaGoWan wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:39 pm
BengalTiger wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:29 pm Ben is a very balanced commentator and gives an honest assessment, long may it continue!
No one who watched that game could possibly believe that we did'nt deserve to win,yes they had a higher skill level but we won that through sheer doggedness and a determination and belief in ourselves which is a type of skill in itself instilled by SB.It might have been an honest assessment by him but he was wrong.
the better team on the day lost, but that is a big credit to Steve and the boys, to win when you are not the better side is the sign of a team well and truly on the up
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

YoWaGoWan wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:39 pm No one who watched that game could possibly believe that we did'nt deserve to win
From what I've read/heard it's the opposite.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Frankly I'm glad he is no longer on the board as for me he and his Rugby Board members were complicit in our downfall. It's no coincidence that post their respective departures our revival has begun.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

How many times have a team won right at the end by persevering, I remember a Mr Hipkiss skipping over the line at Twickenham to beat the very same club in a final some years back, we deserved to win that one as well. The team that scores the most points is the one that wins, that is without doubt the most important factor, the team that strives to do that(without cheating), deserves the accolade of winner.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

The game is won by the side that scores the most.
It wasn't pretty and our tactics were poor in the first half but, if you ask the reverse, Sarries did nothing to merit the win.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

sapajo wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:17 pm Frankly I'm glad he is no longer on the board as for me he and his Rugby Board members were complicit in our downfall. It's no coincidence that post their respective departures our revival has begun.
Mr Kay was part of the board that appointed Borthwick, so arguably he is as much part of the revival as the previous doldrums.
I think all the board who appointed MOC have apologised for that.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:35 pm
sapajo wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:17 pm Frankly I'm glad he is no longer on the board as for me he and his Rugby Board members were complicit in our downfall. It's no coincidence that post their respective departures our revival has begun.
Mr Kay was part of the board that appointed Borthwick, so arguably he is as much part of the revival as the previous doldrums.
I think all the board who appointed MOC have apologised for that.
We shall never know if the sacking of Murphy and the appointment of Borthwick was actually a Rugby Board decision that is pure speculation.

I see Mr Kay tweeted this in reply to seeing video of Dan Kelly piling into the Sarries player on the ground who had just pushed our player into touch after the tackle had been completed for which that penalty was awarded.

"Missed this at time but penalty should have been reversed for Kelly’s action and Saracens should have won"
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Offside »

Ben is probably right but Sarries played the conditions better and Tigers tried to play more positive rugby. Positive reigns won. Often pragmatic rugby wins. Both sides carried on playing until the end. I think Tigers would have done better if Ben Youngs kicking had been shorter. Not sure what Eddie Jones would have thought. Probably reinforces Billy V and Owen F and potentially Freddie S in his plans rather than Ford and Youngs.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Offside wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:05 am Ben is probably right but Sarries played the conditions better and Tigers tried to play more positive rugby. Positive reigns won. Often pragmatic rugby wins. Both sides carried on playing until the end. I think Tigers would have done better if Ben Youngs kicking had been shorter. Not sure what Eddie Jones would have thought. Probably reinforces Billy V and Owen F and potentially Freddie S in his plans rather than Ford and Youngs.
Agreed, I simply do not understand why Ben Youngs ( a vastly experienced and top quality scrum half) box kicking continues to desert him for Tigers but when he plays for England returns :smt017
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

sapajo wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:36 am
Offside wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:05 am Ben is probably right but Sarries played the conditions better and Tigers tried to play more positive rugby. Positive reigns won. Often pragmatic rugby wins. Both sides carried on playing until the end. I think Tigers would have done better if Ben Youngs kicking had been shorter. Not sure what Eddie Jones would have thought. Probably reinforces Billy V and Owen F and potentially Freddie S in his plans rather than Ford and Youngs.
Agreed, I simply do not understand why Ben Youngs ( a vastly experienced and top quality scrum half) box kicking continues to desert him for Tigers but when he plays for England returns :smt017
He kicked very well Vs Glaws last weekend. We were kicking into the wind in the first half. I wonder if he was overcompensating for the effect of the wind.