Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: Round 3 - Saracens (H) - Saturday 02nd October 2021

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:03 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:02 pm Did not expect that team...
Great to see Saumaki and Socino in line for a run out. Fair bit of rotation but still very strong
Agreed it's still strong, but against Saracens at home I'd have had slightly less rotation. Genge and Steward would both have been starting for me.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Saracens Men team to play Leicester Tigers:

1 Ralph Adams-Hale

2 Jamie George

3 Marco Riccioni

4 Nick Isiekwe

5 Tim Swinson

6 Jackson Wray

7 Ben Earl

8 Billy Vunipola

9 Aled Davies

10 Owen Farrell (c)

11 Rotimi Segun

12 Nick Tompkins

13 Alex Lozowski

14 Alex Lewington

15 Max Malins

Replacements:

16 Tom Woolstencroft

17 Eroni Mawi

18 Alec Clarey

19 Callum Hunter-Hill

20 Andy Christie

21 Joe Simpson

22 Alex Goode

23 Dom Morris
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

George, Farrell and Malins all starting for Sarries
Last edited by OakhamTiger32 on Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

STARTING XV
15 Freddie Burns [74]
14 Kobus van Wyk [14] *
13 Guy Porter [19]
12 Dan Kelly [22]
11 Hosea Saumaki **
10 George Ford [107]
9 Ben Youngs [266]
1 Francois van Wyk [2]
2 Nic Dolly [4]
3 Dan Cole [266]
4 Calum Green [62]
5 Ollie Chessum [10]|
6 George Martin [19]
7 Tommy Reffell [49]
8 Hanro Liebenberg (c) [38]

REPLACEMENTS
16 Tom Cowan-Dickie [1]
17 Ellis Genge [91]
18 Nephi Leatigaga [43]
19 Harry Wells [126]
20 Cameron Henderson [17] *
21 Jack van Poortvliet [23]
22 Juan Pablo Socino **
23 Freddie Steward [37]
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bunchy »

Like it - good rotation, we need Saumaki, Burns, Henderson, Chessum to have had some game time. I think its a real impact bench too with JVP, Freddie, Ellis and Leatigaga to come on......
Less is more....
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

Massive performance required from Burns at full back, Steward has been outstanding under the high ball so far and has kept a lot of pressure off, good to see Saumaki on the wing, surprised no Muri or Nadolo even on the bench, Sarries team looks very strong, let’s hope SB has got it right.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Interesting starting XV that with one hell of a bench. Really looking forward to seeing Hosea tear it up and an opportunity for others to show that they can play at the same intensity as the last 2 week's squad has. Sarries looking very strong across the board so a home win would be a fantastic result. No penalties to give them any sniff in our 22 if possible please.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

With the new faces coming in, the weather, the way Sarries play I think it could be a tight attritional, even nervy game, rather than a classic.

There has to be rotation of course so no criticism from me on selection. In Borthwick we trust. Here's hoping we come out on the right side and keep this run going.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

The returning Lions will have a massive impact for Sarries. Farrell, George and Malins will add a huge amount of strength to their side.

Bit surprised by our selection but still very strong. Burns gives us the extra kicking option in the backs division, Saumaki is a very exciting prospect on the wing, Porter is very solid in defence and is starting in his preferred and best position (imho). First choice half back pairing with the electric JvP on the bench.

Borthwick obviously wanting some big hitters on the bench which is incredibly strong..Genge, Leatigaga, Wells, Henderson, JvP, Socino and Steward will all add a considerable amount and our bench is definitely the stronger of the 2.

Would like to have seen Murimurivalu in place of Kobus Van Wyk as I have been very unimpressed by him but perhaps Kini is injured?

Should be an interesting game and perhaps the poor forecast has impacted team selection with 2 kicking options in the backs and some big impact on the bench.

COYT :smt041
Last edited by OakhamTiger32 on Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Gulp! Like most here, I'm a little startled by the selection but I'm 200 miles away so what do I know?
I B W T. (In Borthwick we trust)
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

What are people’s thoughts on the Lions players playing? It seems to me that players want to have their cake and eat it- demanding more rest but suddenly they don’t want to rest they want to play? I know Farrell has hardly played this year but it must make the job of a RPA very difficult when negotiating.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

The thing I'm most looking forward to in this is Kelly and Porter as a centre partnership.

That partnership if it works can be a key combo for us for years to come.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Tigers86asw wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:27 pm What are people’s thoughts on the Lions players playing? It seems to me that players want to have their cake and eat it- demanding more rest but suddenly they don’t want to rest they want to play? I know Farrell has hardly played this year but it must make the job of a RPA very difficult when negotiating.
I'm torn by it, the protocols are there to protect from overplaying, therefore the fact they only had half a season means that I'm less concerned about it with the Sarries players than at other clubs...
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Tigers86asw wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:27 pm What are people’s thoughts on the Lions players playing? It seems to me that players want to have their cake and eat it- demanding more rest but suddenly they don’t want to rest they want to play? I know Farrell has hardly played this year but it must make the job of a RPA very difficult when negotiating.
Appears that player welfare isn't at the forefront of the decision making process then. The rules are in place for a good reason but a few managers kick up a fuss and all of a sudden the mandatory 10 week rest period is discarded. On the flip side some of the players haven't played much rugby as you say so perhaps we should view it as a breath of fresh air to have some flexibility and common sense in the decision making process. I haven't done the maths to know how many games the likes of Farrell and Vunipola will end up playing this season but if it's on par with the rest of the players I think it's fair enough
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Strong Tigers side, don't see those Lions adding much, they will be rusty and off the pace
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.