Exeter's woes

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Exeter's woes

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

They've not had the best start to the sesosn on the field and it appears that their lack of a main shirt sponsor has been resolved, albeit that there is some mystery about it all with the company lined up as the sponsor being West Exeter Business Park. An entity which failed to get planning permission to build said business park and whose directors are the Rowe family! https://twitter.com/SunJonnyFordham/sta ... 39297?s=19
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Re: Exeter's woes

Post by Old Hob »

Something curious going on. There was that rant by Rowe (on another thread below) against the press. Is it that behind the scenes disquiet is affecting performances on the field?
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

I understand that the whole sports team sponsor landscape is very uncertain at the minute. I was at a football game yesterday who got their new shirt sponsor at the 11th hour from a very left field option. The company had no history in football sponsorship particularly and to go straight in at Championship level was a surprise apparently to most their staff. As an aside the fans are happy as it's not another betting company meaning the kids shirts actually represent what the team wear as you can't put betting company logos on junior shirts (I didn't realise that but it makes sense).

Doesn't surprise me then that Chiefs couldn't find a sponsor willing to stump up what Rowe was willing to. Highlights the excellent work our team at Tigers have done.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Have been pointing out that all hasn't been great at Chiefs for a while. Lots of interest in the monerati now embedded in the club as to where the club goes as Napoleon's hold weakens (he's not a well man); there is also pressure on Baxter now, some in the clubhouse rich set think a new coach(s) is needed to rival the success of Leinster etc, after failing to win the Prem and Euro.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Maybe those at Exeter should look at the example in Wendyball of Blackburn Rovers as a tale of what can go wrong after a rise to the top, driven by one man's benevolence.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

Just a point but the site did get planning approval on appeal.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

jgriffin wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:30 pm Have been pointing out that all hasn't been great at Chiefs for a while. Lots of interest in the monerati now embedded in the club as to where the club goes as Napoleon's hold weakens (he's not a well man); there is also pressure on Baxter now, some in the clubhouse rich set think a new coach(s) is needed to rival the success of Leinster etc, after failing to win the Prem and Euro.
That football mentality doesn't really have previous notable levels of success in Prem rugby. The biggest success stories in Europe for English clubs being us and Sarries came with long term appointees in charge. It would be a very high risk move to change Baxter for anybody else. Recruiting a better assistant to freshen up the coaching staff might be a better option.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Rightly or wrongly. The stance Exeter are taking with branding is making it tough to find sponsorship money from companies who aren't associated with them or their owners.

The club I think have "misread the room" a bit on this one. At a time when all American clubs with similar types of branding are going through major rebrands, Exeter chose to ignore and now it is a PR nightmare for the club.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

I believe it is a little early to write an obituary on Exeter with only two matches gone this season , however for their supporters it is a disappointing start - especially the home defeat by Northampton.At full strength they will be a match for anyone on field but it may be true to say that they not adapted or advanced in the manner in which they had hoped over the past couple of seasons.The more you play in a certain manner the easier it becomes to both predict it and combat it and some of the 'new stars' have not exactly shined brightly.Tinkering rather than major surgery I tend to believe is necessary and Rob Baxter is capable of keeping them there or thereabouts.
Off the field they are very much controlled by Tony Rowe and he sets both direction and tone and for me , and in terms of manner and attitude, there is as much to question in him as there is in Nigel Wray. Nothing implied here except that there is far more to both him and his character than is known to the public - just like many other successful men .
Personally expect to see more from Exeter and hear more from Tony Rowe as the season progresses.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

As you say, early days. A couple of bad results doesn't make them a bad team and with a better rub of the green they could have won both games. It's a long season so let's concentrate on what we are doing rater than speculating about the Chiefs.
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

The key sponsors in rugby are:

The commercial sponsors who see a business advantage to being assosciated with a sports club from a marketing or client angle.

The others are the Sugar Daddy type who use their companies to sponsor their team even though the commercial arguament is not matched by the advertising benefit. Sometimes they may chose to use their sponsorship to increase awareness and get indirectly political to support projects.

Sides probably need a lot of the first or they are going to be very dependent on the second.

Given that crowds are small at many Premiership sides it is hard to justify large payments solely for that and then you rely on that side getting their matches televised but even then compared to soccer the viewing figures are small.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Interesting to read on the Exeter unofficial forum that fans are talking about there's no fun any more and they have not renewed their season tickets................after only two games.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

Much too early to write their season off. They are a good club with a solid support base, Some great players and top coaches.
Above all, their director of rugby is a great man and would walk into any job he wanted. A total shoe-in to replace Eddie Jones.
Although they lost the first game against Tigers, it was far from a belting and they fought hard to the last.

I'm sure I can't be the only one on this site noting the irony of the present situation and remembering the year when our first game of the season at Sandy Park resulted in the sacking of our coach!?!?
A life long Tiger
Coops
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Coops »

tigerburnie wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:07 pm Interesting to read on the Exeter unofficial forum that fans are talking about there's no fun any more and they have not renewed their season tickets................after only two games.
Just had a look at some comments following their game vs Saints:
I have waited a couple of hours after the final whistle to post.

IMO the players have been coached in our one game plan they are unable to play what’s in front of them, and this is squarely the fault of the coaches. We are unable to adapt to what’s happening on the pitch.

We promote coaches from within the club (ex players) who have also been coached this way and can not see other options. We should be looking for coaches from outside the club who can bring a different perspective to the team, for example Rugby league coach.

Today’s performance was not a shock to anyone today, and this season will be a hard one for the club. I thought the forwards today played well, but what has disappointed me is the backs play. In the last couple of games we have been near full strength in the backs, but there has been no cutting edge or threat to the opposition. The whole team looked very slow getting into the defensive line and Northampton where already set ready to defend for 2-3 seconds before we got the ball out to the backs in attack.

A very bad day at the office and I can’t see it improving
Sounds a little familiar.