Progress under Borthwick 2021/22

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Progress under Borthwick 2021/22

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

New season and things are looking up. Cracking effort by the lads to dispatch Exeter and Glos in the opening 2 rounds and scoring a perfect 10 and 9 tries in the process. Lots still to work on but lots of positives.

For me the players that have really put their hands up so far are Genge, Dolly, Potter, Nadolo and Steward. Lots of others have been very solid (Wells, Liebenberg as always, Reffell, Martin to name but a few).

Captain Genge - 2 wins from 2 and looks really up for the challenge. Great choice of captain and has impressed me so far.

Dolly - 4th choice hooker.. wouldn't have known it from his performances. 3 tries in 2 games. 9/10 lineout success vs Exeter and 13/15 against Exeter. Has missed a few strikes in the scrum but aside from this he has been exceptional imho. Montoya still number one for me but it's going to be a tough call for the 16 jersey this season with 3 very worthy candidates.

Potter and Nadolo - great wing pairing and they have really shown moments of magic in the last 2 matches. Nadolo's bulldozing runs and Potters footwork, side steps and that try against Glos.. wow! First choice 11 & 14 for me but with Saumaki and Murimurivalu waiting in the wings (literally) we are really well stocked. Yes we might lack the searing pace of LRZ or Radwan but after Potter's display against Glos I'm slightly less concerned about this.

Steward - outstanding. Has put his hand up not just as Tigers first choice 15 but potentially as England's. So much talent and so much potential. Outstanding under the high ball and really solid at the back. Seems to link well with Nadolo and Potter too and they bring out the best in each other's games under this new coaching set up.

Sinfield - Has worked wonders already but I do think we need to tighten up on our discipline. Too many silly penalties still and 2 yellow cards in 2 matches. Need to try and lower the penalty count.. BUT... he has had a huge impact already and our defence has looked gritty and dogged and Exeter leaving MWWR with nothing epitomises that perfectly.

Half back pairings - Youngs, JvP and Ford, Burns. Some real talent here and we will be well covered during the International windows if we lose Youngs and Ford. Although the way Eddie Jones is going we may have Ford for more games than expected.

Players yet to feature who will be first choice imho - Montoya, Van Staden, Wiese, Moroni are all yet to feature! Very exciting and what great strength in depth.

I know SB doesn't seem to like a nailed on starting XV but we have seen less rotation this season than previously so maybe we are starting to go down this route. For me we have 2 pretty solid XVs:

1. GengeVan/Wyk
2. Montoya/Youngs/Clare/Dolly
3. Cole/Heyes
4. Wells/Henderson
5. Snyman/Green
6. Liebenberg/Martin
7. Van Staden/Reffell
8. Wiese/Brink
9. Youngs/JvP
10. Ford/Burns
11. Nadolo/Murimurivalu
12. Scott/Kelly
13. Moroni/Porter
14. Potter/Saumaki
15. Steward/Hegarty

With the likes of Leatigaga, Chessum, Lancaster and Socino adding cover.

Things are definitely looking up and while we still have lots to work on I am extremely happy with the start we have made and Borthwick really seems to be making progress. Long may it continue :smt023
Last edited by OakhamTiger32 on Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Progress under Borthwick 2021/22

Post by markharbtiger »

OakhamTiger32 I think I'd have included Scott
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

markharbtiger wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:46 am OakhamTiger32 I think I'd have included Scott
Yep, just missed him off but good spot
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

I don’t know about everyone else but I actually believe that we can win games now especially at home
A2O
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

This coming weekend is a bigger test, win that one and I believe sides will again have that fear of coming to Welford Road, and the word fear has been quoted by visiting players in the past, we need that back again and the Welford Road crowd lifting the sides to greater heights.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Clowbeck
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Clowbeck »

Only two game in I know, but this is the point in the season where in recent seasons we have put most palms to face, be it missed passes, tackles, lineouts. Can't fault the effort of the Tigers right now, even if we had lost the past two games, a massive effort in comparison to past three or four seasons. Long may the togetherness and tenacity continue, the by-product will be points and lots of them.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

I agree the squad is looking stronger than it has done for years and most of the credit has to go to SB and maybe some to the new structures above and behind him.
Obviously we have the Autumn international period and 6 nations to get through yet. We will have more England players than for years and we also have to consider SA and Argentina are both involved still. This could prove very tricky and really test the depth.
One position that worries me in particular is Full Back .. I was not convinced by Hegarty when I saw him pre season. I know KM can also play there but he is most likely to be needed on the wing.
I prefer Lady Ga Ga to Van Wyk as Gengy’s deputy although he seems to be seen as a tighthead replacement this season not LH. I would also like to see more of Whitcome and Hurd (hopefully the cup will give us the opportunity to see more of them, I think they could both be good and potentially better than our current bench options)
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

mightymouse wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:26 am I agree the squad is looking stronger than it has done for years and most of the credit has to go to SB and maybe some to the new structures above and behind him.
Obviously we have the Autumn international period and 6 nations to get through yet. We will have more England players than for years and we also have to consider SA and Argentina are both involved still. This could prove very tricky and really test the depth.
One position that worries me in particular is Full Back .. I was not convinced by Hegarty when I saw him pre season. I know KM can also play there but he is most likely to be needed on the wing.
I prefer Lady Ga Ga to Van Wyk as Gengy’s deputy although he seems to be seen as a tighthead replacement this season not LH. I would also like to see more of Whitcome and Hurd (hopefully the cup will give us the opportunity to see more of them, I think they could both be good and potentially better than our current bench options)
I'm less concerned about Fullback. Besides having one the beat in the league

Kini is Fiji's current 15, so pretty competent replacement, yes he may be needed on the wing, but with Potters progression & Samukai coming in, I think less so, plus Nadolo is looking fitter than he was last year, think Aled had his preseason spot on.

I think Hegarty showed promise, preseason after swapping continents isn't where to finally judge a player.

Plus if Ford is out of the England reckoning then I suspect we'll see Burns play 15 a few times in the international breaks.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Two games gone.We win nothing tangible after two games.Yes progress and good progress - we should be grateful considering where we were , but feet on the ground ,realism and hard work are the way to move forward for both fans and The Club alike , I believe.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

It's obvious we're doomed. Stuart Barnes says we'll beat Sarries tomorrow and we are title contenders. Kiss of death :smt005
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Old Hob wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:37 am It's obvious we're doomed. Stuart Barnes says we'll beat Sarries tomorrow and we are title contenders. Kiss of death :smt005
I thought the same myself when i read the article in the paper (sorry, its behind The Times paywall). Barnesy even put his hand up to "commentator's curse" :smt005
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Cagey Tiger wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:59 am
Old Hob wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:37 am It's obvious we're doomed. Stuart Barnes says we'll beat Sarries tomorrow and we are title contenders. Kiss of death :smt005
I thought the same myself when i read the article in the paper (sorry, its behind The Times paywall). Barnesy even put his hand up to "commentator's curse" :smt005
if the Tigers do in fact beat Sarries tomorrow (I believe they can) then it is another good step forward. Typical of Barnes to come out with such a loose prediction so early in the season. IMO, right now the Tigers are way off being a title contending side but with the continued hard work that is being put in by all, come next Feb we should know it a title shot is on. My glass is half full as always.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Good article in the Times about Kevin Sinfield. Summary: He's a very nice chap
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Quite a few really good articles

So we are going to get thrashed.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Nope. Half B team, played rubbish, won. Welcome back to 2008.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.