Progress under Borthwick 2021/22

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

fentiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Progress under Borthwick 2021/22

Post by fentiger »

jgriffin wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:14 pm Nope. Half B team, played rubbish, won. Welcome back to 2008.
:smt044 Groundhog day :smt023
Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postiger2 »

How quickly he's managed to instill a mental strength and resilience in a previously hapless side is really impressive.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

jgriffin wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:14 pm Nope. Half B team, played rubbish, won.
A more Tigers like finale than Geordie Murphy scuffing a DG over at the death at Vicarage Road (though that was 2012 but equally welcome).

Scrabbling a win, love it.

Well done Mr B, you appear to have returned the Dog to the Kennel.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

First 2 matches we score 9 tries and notch up a maximum 10 points. Today, horrendous conditions against the best side in the league and we were well under full strength and we found a way to get the win despite being behind for 83 minutes and not playing particularly well. Progress continues and the signs are promising with some big names coming back soon
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
TiltonTiger

Post by TiltonTiger »

The Tigers are back!
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Don't wish to temper the excitement and joy from the weekend too much but I think some is needed. I think against Exeter we were excellent but I think we made some errors in the Gloucester game that almost cost us and 9 times out of 10 we would have lost that Saracens game. I also notice Boyd apologising for Saints win yesterday. And if we'd both lost how would the table look.

On the flip side I am confident that Borthwick and Sinfield especially will be seeing things the way they are, looking at performance rather than results/table. And there is certainly a lot to be positive about - much that has been talked about, the young players coming through, about from the odd 5 minutes defence is looking good, set piece looking very good, the Genge/Hanro leadership, etc.

I feel it's going to be a good season for us but there is still a bit of work to do.

PS: All this talk of who has a weakened team is fluff, when Chiefs/Sarries were top of their games not so long back they were playing 3rd/4th choice players and still churning out wins. If you are going to be winning stuff that's just what you do/have to do.
PLATYPUSTIGER

Post by PLATYPUSTIGER »

New to Forum but supporter of over 70 years. As I left Leicester in 1965 my visits to Welford Road have been regular but limited.
Great to see us back where we belong and agree all the comments of strength in depth and progress under SB. Easy to select a team using alternatives but what do you all consider to be our strongest team assumimg all fit and available?(Accepting that we have yet to see sufficient of the new guys and ignoring the tacticts of retaining a strong bench of 'Finishers'?). Not so easy. Over to you SB!.
Socino in his brife appearance looked promising. Look forward to seeing more of Saumaki and Dolly has been a revelation!

Platypustiger
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

PLATYPUSTIGER wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:31 pm New to Forum but supporter of over 70 years. As I left Leicester in 1965 my visits to Welford Road have been regular but limited.
Great to see us back where we belong and agree all the comments of strength in depth and progress under SB. Easy to select a team using alternatives but what do you all consider to be our strongest team assumimg all fit and available?(Accepting that we have yet to see sufficient of the new guys and ignoring the tacticts of retaining a strong bench of 'Finishers'?). Not so easy. Over to you SB!.
Socino in his brife appearance looked promising. Look forward to seeing more of Saumaki and Dolly has been a revelation!

Platypustiger
Welcome to the Forum PLATYPUSTIGER. Lots of strength in depth and players seem to be stepping up to the plate at the moment so hard to call (Dolly as you say has been immense) but I would say:

1.Genge (c)
2.Montoya
3.Cole
4.Wells
5.Green
6.Liebenberg (vc)
7.Reffell
8.Wiese
9.Youngs
10.Ford
11.Nadolo
12.Scott
13.Moroni
14.Potter
15.Steward

Finishers: 16.Youngs 17.Leatigaga 18.Heyes 19.Martin 20.Van Staden 21.JvP 22.Burns 23.Porter

It's tough as Chessum, Henderson, Snyman, Kelly, Murimurivalu have all been solid too and Saumaki and Socino look very exciting and I think will both play a big part this season. For what it's worth that would be my match day 23 :smt023
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Really starting to find some form.. grit, determination, dogged defence and a few nice tries from the backs thrown in there too. 4 wins from 4 this season is an impressive return but equally if you look back over the last 9 Premiership games we have played we have W7 and L2.. those losses were the controversial last minute loss to Bristol and an away loss to Sale. In the 7 wins we have beaten Wasps, Irish, Worcester and Glos away and Exeter, Sarries and Quins at home.

Borthwick currently has a win % of 63% which is second only to Cockers on 64% of all managers we have had in the last 15 years. Given his first 11 games in charge were W6 L5 it makes his stats post the initial settling in period even more impressive.

A way to go still but the signs are promising :smt023
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Does anyone ,know what our best team is now? Everyone is sticking their hand up,the squad strength is superb!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:15 pm Does anyone ,know what our best team is now? Everyone is sticking their hand up,the squad strength is superb!
As you say it's very tough.. for my money I'd say:

1.Genge (nailed on for me)
2.Montoya nailed on first choice for me although Dolly has been superb and Clare and Youngs are always solid options
3.Cole although notable mention to Heyes who will eventually become the starting TH
4.Wells (nailed on for me)
5.Green although I highly rate Henderson and Chessum and Snyman has looked impressive when he's featured
6.Liebenberg (nailed on for me)
7.Reffell deserves it as he's been superb but expect a scrap with MvS for the starting 7 jersey
8.Wiese (nailed on for me)
9.Youngs although on current form perhaps JvP deserves the spot but I think Youngs still gets the 9 shirt for me
10.Ford (nailed on for me)
11.Nadolo (nailed on for me)
12.Scott although Kelly has been impressive also
13.Moroni (nailed on for me)
14.Potter (nailed on for me)
15.Steward (nailed on for me)

It's tough as Dolly, Heyes, Chessum, Henderson, Snyman, Kelly have all been solid too. For what it's worth that would be my starting XV
chappie
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by chappie »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:26 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:15 pm Does anyone ,know what our best team is now? Everyone is sticking their hand up,the squad strength is superb!
As you say it's very tough.. for my money I'd say:

1.Genge (nailed on for me)
2.Montoya nailed on first choice for me although Dolly has been superb and Clare and Youngs are always solid options
3.Cole although notable mention to Heyes who will eventually become the starting TH
4.Wells (nailed on for me)
5.Green although I highly rate Henderson and Chessum and Snyman has looked impressive when he's featured
6.Liebenberg (nailed on for me)
7.Reffell deserves it as he's been superb but expect a scrap with MvS for the starting 7 jersey
8.Wiese (nailed on for me)
9.Youngs although on current form perhaps JvP deserves the spot but I think Youngs still gets the 9 shirt for me
10.Ford (nailed on for me)
11.Nadolo (nailed on for me)
12.Scott although Kelly has been impressive also
13.Moroni (nailed on for me)
14.Potter (nailed on for me)
15.Steward (nailed on for me)

It's tough as Dolly, Heyes, Chessum, Henderson, Snyman, Kelly have all been solid too. For what it's worth that would be my starting XV
Just a couple of changes for me but a very similar team.
I would play Hanro in place of Wells and Brink would fill Hanros place and then I start with MVS at 7, that is one meaty back row with a tad of spice and let’s not forget Martin :smt023
Franck Tournaire Number 1 fan.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Crazy to think a player as good as Martin might not even make the XV! Would anyone like to see him at 8 again?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
aslongaswebeatsaints
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by aslongaswebeatsaints »

Can’t wait to see our pack with Weise, Van Staden and Montoya all back and reintegrated. Mouthwatering.

I’d differentiate selection based on “first XV” now and later in the season. The younger end are flourishing and I can’t help thinking the likes of JVP, Kelly, Martin, Chesham, Potter etc may have fully supplanted their “number 1s” as Freddie Steward has already done. Though obviously injury plays a part.

Which is a fantastic place to be in.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »