Tigers @ Gloucester - Friday 24th September 2021 - 1945

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Team thoughts for Glaws on Friday?

Post by tigerburnie »

I am kind of expecting a fair amount of rotation as per last season for this away game, though whilst I understand the long term gain from this policy, I would like to see the core of the side that won't be away for the AI's getting more game time to get us through that period. We need to rest any players carrying a knock, but I hope we put out a very strong side as I feel Glaws are there for the taking after last weeks display by us against Exeter.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
iceman_19
Silver Member
Silver Member

Tigers @ Gloucester - Friday 24th September 2021 - 1945

Post by iceman_19 »

I couldn't see a thread for this yet so I thought I'd churn one up.

Put bluntly, it would take a hell of a lot of shine off the Exeter win if we do not follow that up with a good display at Kingsholm. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that it would simply add it to the growing list of false dawns we've had over the past few years.

That said, I can't see us making the mistake as we did when we went to London Irish last year. I think we'll be right up for it again, and it will be interesting to see how some of our young lads (and older heads who only arrived during the pandemic) face up to one of the most hostile atmospheres in the league. I don't think much of this Gloucester side (save for their outside backs) on paper, but in front of the Shed they'll be a different beast.

Any changes? No new injuries as far as I'm aware. Unless OTY is able to come back into the squad, the only players who may be rotated in could be Snyman or Porter/Saumaki for Potter. Maybe Heyes onto the bench.

Myself and Elliot have previewed the game in our Rolling Maul podcast (Tigers Fans' podcast) along with a wildly excited review of the Chiefs game - it can be found on the usual directories:

- Apple (https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/t ... 1583870237)
- Spotify (https://open.spotify.com/show/50xCMrQEsOrr0G5Qpj0p5q)
- Google (https://tinyurl.com/4z7na38v)
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tigers @ Gloucester - Friday 24th September 2021 - 1945

Post by Bunchy »

As long as Tait is playing, I will be happy..................
Less is more....
bendy

Post by bendy »

I'm enjoying the podcast. Good work!

Call me old fashioned, but I can't see any reason for rotation or squad management yet - we've only played one game. I'd much rather Borthwick be sending a message that the shirt is yours if you're playing well. On that basis, it would be the same starting 15 for me. Maybe some variation on the bench - Muri in to give him some game time before we lose Freddie for the AIs? Saumaki too perhaps? OTY rather than TCD, but on the whole, no need to do too much tinkering!
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

I agree but I think that it is Borthwick’s policy to rotate and to pick the strongest side for home games. I hope I’m wrong but we will see tomorrow.
A2O
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

iceman_19 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:21 pm I couldn't see a thread for this yet
You mean apart from the one started 10 minutes earlier :smt002 :smt003

I expect to see some changes. No idea who though.

What I hope to see is no change in the performance. And Gloucester aren't all that right now I would say so expecting a W.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

If Tom Youngs is available I'd bring him onto the bench. Ditto with Heyes. Otherwise maybe more of a strike option than Porter. Not sure there's a need to adjust the starting XV.

Depends what the game plan is I suppose. Van Wyk, two locks on the bench and Porter pointed to his expecting a tough and physical game against Chiefs. Glaws will pose a different problem so we might cater towards their tendency to player looser and give ourselves a little more pace in the squad. Heyes getting around the park the way he does will help that and Leatigaga can then cover loosehead. Perhaps Evans will get a go against his former club.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Plastic pitch to take into account as well.....
To win is not as important as playing with style!
iceman_19
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by iceman_19 »

ourla wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:17 pm
iceman_19 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:21 pm I couldn't see a thread for this yet
You mean apart from the one started 10 minutes earlier :smt002 :smt003

I expect to see some changes. No idea who though.

What I hope to see is no change in the performance. And Gloucester aren't all that right now I would say so expecting a W.
It wasn't there when I started, which is just a sad indication of how slow my typing skills are!
Tigers till I die

www.ruckedover.blogspot.com
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Borthwick rotated well last season. Moroni, Scott and Kelly all started 10 games apiece for instance. I expect similar this season.

The difficult area to rotate just now is the back row with Wiese, van Staden and Brink all unavailable. I could see Chessum getting a start in the back row over the next couple of games to rotate Martin.

1.Genge (c)
2.Dolly
3.Heyes
4.Wells
5.Green
6.Chessum
7.Reffell
8.Liebenberg

9.JvP
10.Ford

11.Murimurivalu
12.Scott
13.Porter
14.Potter
15.Steward

16.Youngs
17.Leatigaga
18.Cole
19.Snyman
20.Martin
21.Youngs
22.Burns
23.Nadolo

Something like that I'd guess at.
Faulks04
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Faulks04 »

Can see saumaki possibly coming in for nadolo. Maybe hegarty in for steward and maybe kini in at wing or centre . Not wholesale changes but certainly a few
JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: Team thoughts for Glaws on Friday?

Post by JP14 »

Personally I don’t think the away game selection policy will be continued this year.

Not expecting too many changes, perhaps Porter swapping with Potter, Chessum and JVP to start?
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
LE18
Super User
Super User

Re: Team thoughts for Glaws on Friday?

Post by LE18 »

tigerburnie wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:10 pm I am kind of expecting a fair amount of rotation as per last season for this away game, though whilst I understand the long term gain from this policy, I would like to see the core of the side that won't be away for the AI's getting more game time to get us through that period. We need to rest any players carrying a knock, but I hope we put out a very strong side as I feel Glaws are there for the taking after last weeks display by us against Exeter.
If Tigers adopt that policy then you are just increasing the length of time we are without our stars, so sorry cannot agree with you we want maximum use of them, so Beit if they get injured that's England's problem, we need to build on last week and secure a cushion going into the period when other teams will also be losing players.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Faulks04 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:36 pm Can see saumaki possibly coming in for nadolo. Maybe hegarty in for steward and maybe kini in at wing or centre . Not wholesale changes but certainly a few
One of the few players Borthwick didn't rotate with any regularity was Steward. I can see maybe one change in the back three but I'm not sure we'll see a whole different back three. Nadolo is the most likely to be rotated given his hamstring issues previously, the plastic pitch and the speed of the Glaws back three. Saumaki or Kini could come in.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Chance Harris & LRZ might be available for Glaws.
To win is not as important as playing with style!