Tigers @ Gloucester - Friday 24th September 2021 - 1945

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers @ Gloucester - Friday 24th September 2021 - 1945

Post by trendylfj »

I think to say GF had a bad game is ridiculous. Not at his best - YES - but poor - NO NO NO!. He stood his ground in defence, made his tackles, guided us to the win, not his best game off the tee, excellent out of hand but a poor game, not in a million years
Hehehehehehehehe
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

markharbtiger wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:37 am There is a lot more to a 10 than kicking at the posts...
Agreed but sadly that is often what people focus on.. his kicking from the tee has been pretty average (4 from 7 against Exeter and I think he was 5 from 9 against Glos) but he has so much more to his game. His kick from way out to the 5m line when the Glos kicker only hitting about 10m from much closer epitomises his calibre. Spiral bombs gaining advantage once again and some good tactical kicking. Sky Sports headline "Ford helps Tigers to win over Glos", praised by Healey and Biggar.. no doubt for me that he had a good game and I'm sure his accuracy off the tee will be back up to his usual standards shortly
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

I’d have been happy with a win of any kind so to get the bonus point as well is a great result.
Sarries next week will be the sternest test yet as their “wolfpack” defence will take some breaking down.George Ford still not kicking from the T to his high standards but his running of the game was, in my opinion, very good indeed.
JVP was great in terms of his passing, breaks from the back of the scrum but his kicking from hand was mixed. Dolly again really stepped up.
I think v Sarries the forwards will need to take their performances to an even higher level than these last two games.
Think Barnes was very sensible on the TMO decisions. Ford wouldn’t have stopped their try so Twelvetrees did us a favour by getting him out of the steamrollering he would have got!! In another game Reffell might have got carded but again Barnes dealt with it sensibly.
Hope Barnes is ref next week.
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

Dr H Flashman MBE wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:51 am
Robespierre wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:51 pm
northerntiger wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:29 pm

It depends on the wine. The less mature it is, the tougher it will be so the more oxygen it needs. An older wine should be decanted and served pretty much straight away.
For ordinary day to day wines, I never decant them. I open the bottle and leave it for 15/20 minutes before pouring. Those that I do decant I try to leave for an hour or two before pouring - if I am patient!
Cheers for the wine advice. Like to have my weekly treat tasting it’s very best..much like last night.
If this board would have been offered 10 points at the start of the season from our first two games we would have snapped the hand off. Or not believed it was possible.
Ford had an off day with the tee. That made it more edgy than it should have been. But if you take his kick to the corner into consideration, he has some money in the bank!,
Dolly is a find. Seems to get the rolling maul and how to score from it.
I like that the players seem to know they can do better, which is a class sign.
All in all we deserved it and we were the cause of our stress.
Decanting is very much a thing of the past. Apart from my modest weekend tipple I have over the years been lucky enough to have had some very good red wines served to me in top restaurants and never has the wine been decanted. Reds do benefit from a little oxygenation but this can be achieved by serving in a wide mouth glass and giving it a good swirl around before drinking.

Of course beating Glaws also makes it taste better :smt030 :smt030 :smt030
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Pretty sure most 10s spend hours practicing kicking from the Tee, what we have to remember is that George is coming back from an injury.

1. Is he at a point when he can put in his normal level of practice, or are they limiting his practice time till 100% (if he isn't 100% it also explains his omission from the training squad)

2. Even if he can practice fully now, he may not have been practicing for many weeks.

3. One of the misses was due to falling off the tee. All the others were fairly tight angles, yes he'd have expected more, but certainly if he's not able to practice they weren't terrible misses
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

It's also only 2 games with regards to Ford's goal kicking. That's a very small sample size. He was excellent last season and for a while before that too.

I do think Burns should have got game time last night with Ford's form in the second half though.

That said we got over the line eventually with a TBP win on the road despite making it hard for ourselves!
Voyager1
Tiger Cub

Post by Voyager1 »

Not sure about George at the moment, I’ve noticed that since the start of the season his body language hasn’t look good. He was very low profile leading up to the resumption of the season which led to certain media speculation regarding his future at Welford Road since the departure of his father. In my opinion he’s too grown up for that.

There may be underlying issues surrounding his dip in form, whether it’s personal or professional we will perhaps never know. What we do know is that the season is only two games old and George has been the saviour of the Tigers over many seasons. Still very much England class, he is player of immense capabilities and a player of his class doesn’t suddenly start to underperform for no apparent reason.

I believe we should cut him some slack at this time, because it is almost guaranteed that he will be firing on all cylinders very soon.

Be very cautious at casting the first stone !!
What noise annoys an oyster
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

https://www.premiershiprugby.com/match- ... statistics

9 tackles missed 129 made 98%
Gloucester
17 tackles missed 85 made 85%

Crazy
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:33 pm https://www.premiershiprugby.com/match- ... statistics

9 tackles missed 129 made 98%
Gloucester
17 tackles missed 85 made 85%

Crazy
Wow.. what a stat! :smt027
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Robespierre wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:59 am
Big Dai wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:21 am Madiran... The tannic monster of the south west!
Clearly a man of taste (and Welsh too?)
No..... .not Welsh...... Just exiled here.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

Voyager1 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:01 pm Not sure about George at the moment, I’ve noticed that since the start of the season his body language hasn’t look good. He was very low profile leading up to the resumption of the season which led to certain media speculation regarding his future at Welford Road since the departure of his father. In my opinion he’s too grown up for that.

There may be underlying issues surrounding his dip in form, whether it’s personal or professional we will perhaps never know.
What dip in form? Two games in, he was outstanding in the Exeter game, and apart from kicking from the tee, pretty good in this one. I think some people are taking two and two and adding it up to seven or eight
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Ford bashing getting a bit boring now. He missed a few kicks from the tee in the first few games but has been excellent in most respects and his tactical kicking has been outstanding. He has contributed more points in our 2 wins than anyone else with a tally of 22 points in 2 games.. give the poor lad a break. I mean.. the ball slipping off the tee at Glos accounted for one of those misses!

There’s far more to a 10’s game than just kicking the points but here are the stats for what it’s worth:

Premiership games only, Ford points per game:

Season 21/22 11 points average
Season 20/21 14.4 points average
Season 19/20 10.7 points average
Season 18/19 13.8 points average
Season 17/18 10.8 points average

Average premiership points over the last 4 seasons for Ford per game has been 12.4 so if a drop of 1.4 points per game on average during the first 2 BP wins he’s helped guide us to this season constitutes a dip in form there’s no hope! No he’s not been at his best all round but there’s maybe a bit of rust there after some time off. Personally I don’t think it’s any more than that
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Been what two people myself included who have said Ford had a poor game.

Hardly bashing…

By his high standards which I do judge upon him I don’t think the game management was on the same level as it was last week, it wasn’t as consistent.
Might seem harsh but as I say he has amazingly high standards which he set himself.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

northerntiger wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:51 pm
Voyager1 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:01 pm Not sure about George at the moment, I’ve noticed that since the start of the season his body language hasn’t look good. He was very low profile leading up to the resumption of the season which led to certain media speculation regarding his future at Welford Road since the departure of his father. In my opinion he’s too grown up for that.

There may be underlying issues surrounding his dip in form, whether it’s personal or professional we will perhaps never know.
What dip in form? Two games in, he was outstanding in the Exeter game, and apart from kicking from the tee, pretty good in this one. I think some people are taking two and two and adding it up to seven or eight
Because he was rehabbing an injury over the summer.

Second half Vs Glaws he dipped a bit in performance level but he was very good first half. I'm sure on a personal level he'll want more from himself but even if he plays better than he did Vs Chiefs he'd still be the same because that's his driven personality.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:12 pm Been what two people myself included who have said Ford had a poor game.

Hardly bashing…
“Having a mare”, “was awful”, “had a stinker”, “shocking”, “poor tonight”, “embarrassing”

Seems like a bit of a bashing to me for someone who actual played pretty well and scored 11 points.

Anyway.. we won, it’s a forum and everyone if entitled to their own opinion so I’m not pointing the finger at anyone in particular more a general sense that some of the comments seemed a bit harsh on the lad that’s all