Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: We are BACK! Week 1 match thread - 2021/2022

Post by Scott1 »

kpj tiger wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:03 am
Scott1 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:02 am
kpj tiger wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:01 am I really don't think this is that bad, its Weise's back that makes contact with Kerevi's head as he comes through
Really? Because it's one of ours?
Clearly the ref agreed that it wasn't serious
He wanted to give a red for an earlier incident that had to be put right by the TMO lol,they don't always get it right. Let's see what the citing officer has to say. Either way it's mindless,and Weise has form.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

kpj tiger wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:01 am I really don't think this is that bad, its Weise's back that makes contact with Kerevi's head as he comes through
That’s just mindless. Shoulder to the head with no attempt to wrap. Should be upgraded to the red it deserved. It was more dangerous than the red he got for us last season.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Dokie wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:10 am
That’s just mindless. Shoulder to the head with no attempt to wrap. Should be upgraded to the red it deserved. It was more dangerous than the red he got for us last season.
After the whistle too so premeditated. Not good mate
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Well it might mean we get him early…

Not that I would ever condone Wiese’ actions today of course.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:14 am

He was committed and in motion before the whistle. As the ref clearly said on the mic he was driving through and across the player rather than into him so was looking to free the ball and not target the man. Weise's arms are targeted the jacklers arms rather than the man he isn't aiming to move but merely cut off from the ball. Thankfully the ref watched it and thought about it more than some of the posters on here.

If Weise was looking to hit the guy he could have easily gone with the other shoulder and connected flush putting the Australian directly into hospital. The fact the contact was the top of the back/shoulder blade clearly emphasised the ref's point. Good decision referee.

From a sporting perspective what do people want Weise to do in that situation? The jackler is practically Superman with his arms that far forward, there's no body to target the options are aim for the arms which he did or stand there and let the turnover happen. It's a pivotal moment in the match any supporters would be furious if their backrow just stood and looked at a ruck because it was a bit risky to go in and accepted that meant they lost the game. Mind you if either of the two previous Boks attempts at removing the jackler had been competent then Weise wouldn't have had to go in though as the second included a clear neck roll attempt then sir was going to be hard pressed not to ping the Boks.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

sam16111986 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:08 am
He was committed and in motion before the whistle. As the ref clearly said on the mic he was driving through and across the player rather than into him so was looking to free the ball and not target the man. Weise's arms are targeted the jacklers arms rather than the man he isn't aiming to move but merely cut off from the ball. Thankfully the ref watched it and thought about it more than some of the posters on here.

If Weise was looking to hit the guy he could have easily gone with the other shoulder and connected flush putting the Australian directly into hospital. The fact the contact was the top of the back/shoulder blade clearly emphasised the ref's point. Good decision referee.

From a sporting perspective what do people want Weise to do in that situation? The jackler is practically Superman with his arms that far forward, there's no body to target the options are aim for the arms which he did or stand there and let the turnover happen. It's a pivotal moment in the match any supporters would be furious if their backrow just stood and looked at a ruck because it was a bit risky to go in and accepted that meant they lost the game. Mind you if either of the two previous Boks attempts at removing the jackler had been competent then Weise wouldn't have had to go in though as the second included a clear neck roll attempt then sir was going to be hard pressed not to ping the Boks.
Come on ,the prone player was smiling and celebrating the turnover penalty! Its only because its one of ours that folk are sticking up for him and that grinds my gears,I just call it as I see it! And he's got form too,premeditated for me and if he gets away with a ban he's very lucky!
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

I’ve just watched it back because your post made me doubt myself. However, what it has confirmed is that your account of the incident bears no resemblance to what happened. Wiese flew in, off his feet and out of control, making contact with his shoulder to the head of a player who had been taken off his feet and was no longer contesting the ball. How much more red do you want it to be?
I can only think you’re defending the indefensible because he’s ‘our boy’. If not, the best advice I can give you is that Specsavers in Wigston is open all day Saturday and Sunday.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Dokie wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:45 am

I’ve just watched it back because your post made me doubt myself. However, what it has confirmed is that your account of the incident bears no resemblance to what happened. Wiese flew in, off his feet and out of control, making contact with his shoulder to the head of a player who had been taken off his feet and was no longer contesting the ball. How much more red do you want it to be?
I can only think you’re defending the indefensible because he’s ‘our boy’. If not, the best advice I can give you is that Specsavers in Wigston is open all day Saturday and Sunday.
Yes,upon rewatching it gets worse. Shoulder definitely hits head while the player is smiling and celebrating winning the turnover penalty.
What makes me laugh is I consistently get called out on my rugby incidents/accidents "we need to stamp head contact out of the game regardless" etc yet some are happy to let this go which for me is THE worse part of our game. It baffles me!
Last edited by Scott1 on Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Of course he is defending “our boy “ because that is what supporters do and not take every opportunity to berate them which is what keyboard warriors do.
A2O
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

ay2oh wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:51 am Of course he is defending “our boy “ because that is what supporters do and not take every opportunity to berate them which is what keyboard warriors do.
Hahahaha I'll facepalm myself for you!
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Grow up Scott
A2O
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

ay2oh wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:56 amGrow up Scott
Well youre OKing foul play because its "one of our own" so have a look in the mirror!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

And yet the match officials agree with me. Wigston is also not close to where I live so that would be a doubly unnecessary journey.

I didn't defend him because he is one of ours, I defended him because that is my opinion of the incident. I similarly agreed with the officials when they chose not to card Ludlum for his hit on Kelly last season when most on hear were screaming for red. I'm more than happy for my opinions to differ to others it would be boring if we all agreed.

I like the fact the ref looked at the incident in detail and more than shoulder makes contact with head equals red which is what some of the fans are doing. There was mitigation and I say well done ref, there was plenty of pressure on him to go for the other colour.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

sam16111986 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:37 pm

And yet the match officials agree with me. Wigston is also not close to where I live so that would be a doubly unnecessary journey.

I didn't defend him because he is one of ours, I defended him because that is my opinion of the incident. I similarly agreed with the officials when they chose not to card Ludlum for his hit on Kelly last season when most on hear were screaming for red. I'm more than happy for my opinions to differ to others it would be boring if we all agreed.

I like the fact the ref looked at the incident in detail and more than shoulder makes contact with head equals red which is what some of the fans are doing. There was mitigation and I say well done ref, there was plenty of pressure on him to go for the other colour.
Carley was wrongly going to give a red out earlier until his TMO rightly talked him down so basing an opinion on an officials decision doesn’t hold much weight I’m afraid
Qbec
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Qbec »

First point I will make; The thread is Our match thread! The second point is everyone is entitled to an opinion which I think sam16111986 was & did make so Scott1 you also have an opinion also, So I suggest accept that both have that opinion.
Pls next time place your posts in the right place
Tigers The Home Of World Class Rugby

11th Premiership Rugby Champions 2022