Super User
Super User

Re: Saints Away - 30th October 2021

Post by sam16111986 »

Scott1 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:14 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:08 pm
Dangerous4 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:22 pm

Completely agree Scott.
Can't say I agree. Heggarty isn't primarily a flyhalf like Burns so I'd not say they are similar as options at 15. He's nothing like Ford. From what I saw in pre season Heggarty is the closest we have to a like for like replacement to Steward. The fact he's played some games at 10 in the past I think (happy to be corrected) was as cover as he's a good all round footballer. I think he'll offer better aerial security and defence which we'll need to weather the initial storm the high tempo Saints are likely to bring.

I'm a big fan of Kini and was very happy when he joined but given how we play and the aerial challenge that Biggar provides that he is the ideal option at 15. I'd like to see him come off the bench Vs tired legs. Saints have tended to stack the bench with forwards because their forwards tire in games due to the high tempo workload. That will only be worse for them with Lawes and Ludlum unavailable. The lack of first choice backs could also open things up for a fresh legged Kini to hopefully run riot.
Ford will play almost the full 80 minutes bar an injury or if we are comprehensively winning. If Burns starts at 15 and Hegarty at 23 that’s a like for like if he replaces Burns or he could go to 15 if Burns replaces Ford at 10. But what about an early injury at 11,13 or 14? Porter covers all 3 and Muri can cover 11,14 and 15 as well as 13. I’m not going to say SB won’t do it,he’s surprised us before with his picks including the first time he started Steward on the wing. But for me all 3 in the 23 has no balance and you lose too much cover elsewhere.
9. JVP
10. Ford
11. Nadolo
12. Scott
13. Moroni
14. Potter
15. Heggarty

21. Wigglesworth, 22. Burns, 23. Murimurivalu

How does that give us less cover that what we had last weekend? You could argue if Scott gets injured then Moroni goes into the unfamiliar role of 12 but we could also move Nadolo into 12 where he played internationally albeit some time ago. That's the only position we'd be potentially short.

Porter hasn't been in the squad since he went off injured Vs LI, he'd be the only option to include that would offer more over all cover to the squad but I'm not sure he's fit.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

sam16111986 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:27 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:08 pm

Can't say I agree. Heggarty isn't primarily a flyhalf like Burns so I'd not say they are similar as options at 15. He's nothing like Ford. From what I saw in pre season Heggarty is the closest we have to a like for like replacement to Steward. The fact he's played some games at 10 in the past I think (happy to be corrected) was as cover as he's a good all round footballer. I think he'll offer better aerial security and defence which we'll need to weather the initial storm the high tempo Saints are likely to bring.

I'm a big fan of Kini and was very happy when he joined but given how we play and the aerial challenge that Biggar provides that he is the ideal option at 15. I'd like to see him come off the bench Vs tired legs. Saints have tended to stack the bench with forwards because their forwards tire in games due to the high tempo workload. That will only be worse for them with Lawes and Ludlum unavailable. The lack of first choice backs could also open things up for a fresh legged Kini to hopefully run riot.
Ford will play almost the full 80 minutes bar an injury or if we are comprehensively winning. If Burns starts at 15 and Hegarty at 23 that’s a like for like if he replaces Burns or he could go to 15 if Burns replaces Ford at 10. But what about an early injury at 11,13 or 14? Porter covers all 3 and Muri can cover 11,14 and 15 as well as 13. I’m not going to say SB won’t do it,he’s surprised us before with his picks including the first time he started Steward on the wing. But for me all 3 in the 23 has no balance and you lose too much cover elsewhere.
9. JVP
10. Ford
11. Nadolo
12. Scott
13. Moroni
14. Potter
15. Heggarty

How does that give us less cover that what we had last weekend? You could argue if Scott gets injured then Moroni goes into the unfamiliar role of 12 but we could also move Nadolo into 12 where he played internationally albeit some time ago. That's the only position we'd be potentially short.

Porter hasn't been in the squad since he went off injured Vs LI, he'd be the only option to include that would offer more over all cover to the squad but I'm not sure he's fit.
Yes I’m going off Porter being fit. And there has been occasions this season where we have already had Steward,Ford and Burns in the same 23 only difference being Steward is an out and out FB (ok I know he’s played at wing) But if it was me,as I’ve said already a couple of times,I wouldn’t have all 3 in the 23 plus we are going off the idea that Burns is starting at 15 anyway.If Muri starts at 15 then you definitely don’t need Hegarty in the 23 because Burns will cover 10/15 from the bench. Then we could see Scott,Moroni,Kelly,Van Wyk,Porter or Socino at 23.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

To further spice things up,what about a 6/2 split if we go Ford and Burns? It’s an option
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Scott1 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:59 pm To further spice things up,what about a 6/2 split if we go Ford and Burns? It’s an option
I wouldn’t personally. Saints will, especially as their backs are pretty thin on the ground but I reckon SB will stick to the 5/3 split. Can see a centre taking the 23 jersey. Maybe Scott or Kelly, whichever doesn’t start
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/spor ... rs-6113092

Leicester Tigers look set to retain the services of their non-England internationals for this weekend's trip to Northampton Saints.

Steve Borthwick will be without Freddie Steward, Ben Youngs, George Martin, Ellis Genge and Nic Dolly for the East Midlands derby as they participate in England's Jersey-based training camp before the Autumn tests.

But the Tigers head coach suggested he will be able to select Springboks duo Jasper Wiese and Marco van Staden, his Argentinian stars Julian Montoya and Matias Moroni, Scotland's Matt Scott and Hosea Saumaki - who could line up against England for Tonga on Saturday, November 6.

Borthwick said: "It's not Regulation 9 this weekend, other than England players, other players are not released for international duty this weekend."

World Rugby Regulation 9 covers the availability of players for international involvement and as this week falls out of the international window, Tigers are not obliged to release their non-England players called up by their countries.

Tigers, however, will be sweating on the services of another South African back row in the form of Hanro Liebenberg, who went off injured against Sale Sharks with a shoulder concern. The vice-captain has started all of Leicester Tigers' last 10 games, stretching back to the end of the 2020/21 campaign, across every back-row position.

Update on Hanro:

Borthwick provided this update on Monday: "As he scored the try, he took his try brilliantly, he felt some pain, so we did a quick investigation on the field and the decision was at that point in time, the right thing to do was to remove him from the game.

"He's good, he's just getting investigated properly today."

Update on Clare:

With Dolly away with England and Tom Youngs on indefinite leave to care for his wife Tiffany, Tigers are short on hooker options with Montoya set to team up with the Pumas after Saturday's encounter.

Borthwick did hint that Charlie Clare, who hasn't featured yet this season, is getting closer to a return to action.

"He's progressing well," he said. "He was running well this morning, he looks in good shape. He's used this injury break to really focus on coming back stronger and fitter than he was before."

Update on Cyle Brink:

Another player who hasn't featured this season is Tigers' fourth South African back row, Cyle Brink. The 27-year-old hasn't played since his early substitution in the European Challenge Cup final defeat to Montpellier in May.

"He looks to have used this to work exceptionally hard, about his movement patterning, about his acceleration, I think he is going to come back an even better player than he was before."
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

https://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/spor ... wn-3431584

During the past three matches, Boyd has opted for a 6:2 split on the bench.

But injuries have really hit Saints during their past two games, against Wasps and, last Friday, against Worcester Warriors.

In both matches Saints have lost two backs to injury, with Matt Proctor and George Furbank forced off after first-half problems at Wasps and Ollie Sleightholme and Piers Francis sustaining injuries against Worcester.

Sleightholme was withdrawn with a hamstring issue last Friday, while Francis failed a head injury assessment, and both would appear likely to miss the game against Leicester.

And though Saints have felt having just two backs on the bench has offered more reward than risk, Boyd says the approach could alter against unbeaten Tigers this weekend.

"We'll probably have to revisit our 6:2 split because when you get an injury in your backs it makes it really difficult," Boyd said.

"Both sides will be affected by their England players being away and we took three or four knocks against Worcester that might be problematic for this week so it's going to test our depth further.

"But we'll go out there and we'll be trying, that's for sure."

So what is Boyd expecting from the clash with the current Gallagher Premiership table-toppers?

"It's going to be a bit different to last Friday's game," he said.

"We're looking forward to hosting the Tigers in front of what is going to be a sold-out stadium at the Gardens.

"We have enjoyed a reasonable amount of success against Tigers recently but they've found their DNA and they know what's good for them."
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Scott1 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:53 pm
9. JVP
10. Ford
11. Nadolo
12. Scott
13. Moroni
14. Potter
15. Heggarty

Yes I’m going off Porter being fit. And there has been occasions this season where we have already had Steward,Ford and Burns in the same 23 only difference being Steward is an out and out FB (ok I know he’s played at wing) But if it was me,as I’ve said already a couple of times,I wouldn’t have all 3 in the 23 plus we are going off the idea that Burns is starting at 15 anyway.If Muri starts at 15 then you definitely don’t need Hegarty in the 23 because Burns will cover 10/15 from the bench. Then we could see Scott,Moroni,Kelly,Van Wyk,Porter or Socino at 23.
Well yes you wouldn't have Heggarty in the 23 shirt but that wasn't my suggestion. I'd have him at 15 because I like having the solid option at the back and think he deserves a chance.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

sam16111986 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:11 pm
Scott1 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:53 pm

9. JVP
10. Ford
11. Nadolo
12. Scott
13. Moroni
14. Potter
15. Heggarty

Well yes you wouldn't have Heggarty in the 23 shirt but that wasn't my suggestion. I'd have him at 15 because I like having the solid option at the back and think he deserves a chance.
Agree, I'd put Hegarty at 15 and have the 3rd back replacement as a centre.

Moroni can cover the wing if there's an injury.
Burns on the bench covers fullback
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Do you think we could see Wells at 6 or perhaps Reffell and MVS starting together?
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Scott1 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:52 pm Do you think we could see Wells at 6 or perhaps Reffell and MVS starting together?
Personally I hope not. Wells is much better at lock and Chessum has been impressive and would be a better option at 6 imho. Not a fan of two natural 7s either really. Would go for

4. Wells
5. Snyman
6. Chessum
7. MvS
8. Wiese

That said whatever the big man goes for I’ll be happy with.. he knows far more about it than me!
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Slightly off topic, but on Van Wyk, I don’t think people factor in how some players find it difficult to settle and find their feet in a different country and environment. He signed in July 2020, so hadn’t been here long but did look good at the ‘Canes. He’s had a move, plus the pandemic disruption to deal with. Not making excuses for him, just that it doesn’t always pan out like you hope it will. I look at Toomua as an example...and Sopoaga at Wasps. Let’s hope Kobus can get back to his best and compete for a starting spot.
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
bendy

Post by bendy »

Does anyone know what time the supporters bus will be leaving WR? My booking email says timings will be confirmed a week in advance, but I've heard nothing so far...
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Northampton Saints v Leicester Tigers (cinch Stadium at Franklin's Gardens) - Live on BT Sport 3HD, with coverage starting at 2.30pm and kick-off at 3pm

Referee: Tom Foley

Assistant Referees: Jack Makepeace and John Meredith

TMO: Claire Hodnett

Citing Officer: Paul Hull
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Noggs wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:39 am Another view on team selection

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/spor ... rs-6123370
Can't argue with any of that.. Would be very happy to see that team sheet announced at midday tomorrow