Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Re: Saints Away - 30th October 2021

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

sapajo wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:25 pm
OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:15 pm
chipnchase wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:55 pm No Kobus Van Wyk?
Not sure I’d have him in the team, especially when Potter, Nadolo and Murimurivalu are all available and in much better form
I think he has cooked his own goose with Borthwick. For me has done didly squat to earn a start let alone coming off the bench. Very disappointing when he came with such great expectations from us supporters.
Agreed. I had high hopes after seeing some of his previous performances but have been very disappointed
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:53 pm Will be interested if Borthwick goes Burns at 15.
It seems to be a tactic he likes having a 10 at 15.
Would certainly fit with the Heggarty signing. He seemed to be a favourite in pre season but hasn't been given a chance yet.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Saints fans seem to think they could field something like:

1.Waller/Auterac
2.Matavesi
3.Hill
4.Ribbans
5.Rutuniyarawa
6.Augustus
7.Wood
8.Harrison

9.Mitchell
10.Biggar

11.Naiyaravoro
12.Proctor
13.Dingwall
14.Skosan
15.Tuala

16.Haywood
17.Iyogun
18.Painter
19.Coles
20.JJ Tonks
21.Lomani
22.Grayson
23.Hutchinson

Some discussion that Auterac might play ahead of Waller given that Waller can be targeted at the scrum, with Cole and Heyes at TH Tigers will be looking to dominate there.

That's if Francis is out but Proctor available. Sleightholme's fitness seems uncertain. They are pretty short at 15 without Furbank and Freeman though.

Apparently Naiyaravoro was training last week and expected to be back. A shame that he and Nadolo both play left wing as that would be some collision!
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Just a shame this game is going to be between two depleted sides.

It would be absolutely mouthwatering with everyone present.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:29 pm
sapajo wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:25 pm
OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:15 pm

Not sure I’d have him in the team, especially when Potter, Nadolo and Murimurivalu are all available and in much better form
I think he has cooked his own goose with Borthwick. For me has done didly squat to earn a start let alone coming off the bench. Very disappointing when he came with such great expectations from us supporters.
Agreed. I had high hopes after seeing some of his previous performances but have been very disappointed
On the positive side, he’s in the best place to improve and come back a better player.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Proctor is going to be out for a while more I believe.
Although Hutchinson is a great player also,
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Looking forwards to seeing the selection. Do we lose a lineout option and go for Reffell and MVS on the flanks as Saints like to play a quicker game? Assuming Liebenberg is rested, I’d go for:

Van Wyk Montoya Heyes
Wells Snyman
Reffell Wiese MVS
JVP Ford
Kelly Moroni
Nadolo Hegarty Potter

TCD Leatigaga Cole Henderson Chessum Wigglesworth Burns Muri
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:07 am Looking forwards to seeing the selection. Do we lose a lineout option and go for Reffell and MVS on the flanks as Saints like to play a quicker game? Assuming Liebenberg is rested, I’d go for:

Van Wyk Montoya Heyes
Wells Snyman
Reffell Wiese MVS
JVP Ford
Kelly Moroni
Nadolo Hegarty Potter

TCD Leatigaga Cole Henderson Chessum Wigglesworth Burns Muri
Liebenberg is very unlikely to figure as he went off injured against Sale
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

I'd like to see Kini start at 15. He is great over the ball at the breakdown which is a real bonus and would be very useful against Saints. Hegarty hasn't played enough this season so I'd start Kini at 15 with Porter on the bench at 23 as centre/wing cover. Burns would offer the full back cover if required.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:48 am I'd like to see Kini start at 15. He is great over the ball at the breakdown which is a real bonus and would be very useful against Saints. Hegarty hasn't played enough this season so I'd start Kini at 15 with Porter on the bench at 23 as centre/wing cover. Burns would offer the full back cover if required.
Same here,Ford/Burns/Hegarty in the same 23 is overkill and unbalanced
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:00 pm
OakhamTiger32 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:48 am I'd like to see Kini start at 15. He is great over the ball at the breakdown which is a real bonus and would be very useful against Saints. Hegarty hasn't played enough this season so I'd start Kini at 15 with Porter on the bench at 23 as centre/wing cover. Burns would offer the full back cover if required.
Completely agree Scott.
chipnchase
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chipnchase »

I disagree, he never had a chance to show what he can do in the Saracens game due to the horrendous weather. We're blessed out wide at the moment and he could add something different when given the chance.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Didn’t know where to put this but does anyone recall who went to openside v Sarries for the last half an hour,Wells or Martin? Or was it Liebenberg but he just packed down at 8?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Dangerous4 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:22 pm
Completely agree Scott.
Can't say I agree. Heggarty isn't primarily a flyhalf like Burns so I'd not say they are similar as options at 15. He's nothing like Ford. From what I saw in pre season Heggarty is the closest we have to a like for like replacement to Steward. The fact he's played some games at 10 in the past I think (happy to be corrected) was as cover as he's a good all round footballer. I think he'll offer better aerial security and defence which we'll need to weather the initial storm the high tempo Saints are likely to bring.

I'm a big fan of Kini and was very happy when he joined but given how we play and the aerial challenge that Biggar provides that he is the ideal option at 15. I'd like to see him come off the bench Vs tired legs. Saints have tended to stack the bench with forwards because their forwards tire in games due to the high tempo workload. That will only be worse for them with Lawes and Ludlum unavailable. The lack of first choice backs could also open things up for a fresh legged Kini to hopefully run riot.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

sam16111986 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:08 pm
Dangerous4 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:22 pm

Completely agree Scott.
Can't say I agree. Heggarty isn't primarily a flyhalf like Burns so I'd not say they are similar as options at 15. He's nothing like Ford. From what I saw in pre season Heggarty is the closest we have to a like for like replacement to Steward. The fact he's played some games at 10 in the past I think (happy to be corrected) was as cover as he's a good all round footballer. I think he'll offer better aerial security and defence which we'll need to weather the initial storm the high tempo Saints are likely to bring.

I'm a big fan of Kini and was very happy when he joined but given how we play and the aerial challenge that Biggar provides that he is the ideal option at 15. I'd like to see him come off the bench Vs tired legs. Saints have tended to stack the bench with forwards because their forwards tire in games due to the high tempo workload. That will only be worse for them with Lawes and Ludlum unavailable. The lack of first choice backs could also open things up for a fresh legged Kini to hopefully run riot.
Ford will play almost the full 80 minutes bar an injury or if we are comprehensively winning. If Burns starts at 15 and Hegarty at 23 that’s a like for like if he replaces Burns or he could go to 15 if Burns replaces Ford at 10. But what about an early injury at 11,13 or 14? Porter covers all 3 and Muri can cover 11,14 and 15 as well as 13. I’m not going to say SB won’t do it,he’s surprised us before with his picks including the first time he started Steward on the wing. But for me all 3 in the 23 has no squad balance and you lose too much cover elsewhere.