Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Saints pinch the Lightning!

Post by kpj tiger »

https://www.northamptonsaints.co.uk/new ... -lightning

Northampton Saints have announced a new partnership with the Loughborough Lightning, the lightning with remain the Loughborough Lightning but will wear Saints badges. Not sure how we've allowed this to happen to be honest....

and the thought of Emily Scarratt wearing a Saints badge :smt009
Coops
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Saints pinch the Lightning!

Post by Coops »

....because we agreed a deal with Lichfield and left Loughborough on their own.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Well that's but a real downer on the day.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I prefer our deal with Lichfield tbh, can grow more organically.

Also how in the world could we have not allowed this lol?
It was either Lichfield or Loughborough, reality is we helped give Lichfield a lifeline to the top flight since for whatever reason (Guess size) the RFU wanted them to have no involvement in it.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

kpj tiger wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:11 pm https://www.northamptonsaints.co.uk/new ... -lightning

Northampton Saints have announced a new partnership with the Loughborough Lightning, the lightning with remain the Loughborough Lightning but will wear Saints badges. Not sure how we've allowed this to happen to be honest....

Personally I think this seals the fact Emily will not remain there long term and will join our partnership
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Am I out of touch, I thought Emily played for Lichfield?

If she is at Loughborough and Saints, she will team up with coach Sam Vesty.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

LE18 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:29 pm Am I out of touch, I thought Emily played for Lichfield?

If she is at Loughborough and Saints, she will team up with coach Sam Vesty.
She moved from Lichfield to Lightning in 2017 I think
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

One wonders if our lack of input & interest previously is the reason for the outcome?
To win is not as important as playing with style!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Considering Saints isn't even going to be in the Loughborough name yet I suspect that might be a reason.
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

RagingBull wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:15 pm I prefer our deal with Lichfield tbh, can grow more organically.

It was either Lichfield or Loughborough, reality is we helped give Lichfield a lifeline to the top flight since for whatever reason (Guess size) the RFU wanted them to have no involvement in it.
It'll be interesting to see how this grows. Do any other Clubs have a women's team that isn't in the top flight?
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Failed to see 'our' Lichfield deal coming, this one however was a different story.Much was rumored to have be going on behind the scenes prior to our initial announcement but the subsequent Saints - Loughborough parnership was a natural repercussion and consequence of our own move.From the outside looking in I am a little disappointed to lose the 'association' with Lightning but the exact nature of what transpired between Leicester and Loughborough ( and there were discussions of a possible formal tie up) I am not privy to so really can't comment further other than to wish both partnerships the best of fortune in the future.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Lichfield were badly shafted by the authorities when the Women's Premier league was created, we have recognised that there is not a great number of local ladies ready to play at the higher level and appear to be taking a long term view. Good luck to Lightening on there association with Saints, it will be interesting to see how it develops in the future, hopefully with two teams getting support from a professional club it will aid the expansion of the women's game.
Mo Leicester

Post by Mo Leicester »

Always slightly disappointing to see "Tigers" (local players) associated with Northampton - but that's professionalism I guess.

I hope both Sam and Emily remember that they are from Desford not Desborough and return to their roots in the future.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

kpj tiger wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:11 pm https://www.northamptonsaints.co.uk/new ... -lightning

I saw we hitched up with Lichfield, and just don't understand it. Crazy idea, and a missed opportunity imo. :smt102
GETHIN EXILE

Post by GETHIN EXILE »

Cardiff Tig wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:14 am
RagingBull wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:15 pm I prefer our deal with Lichfield tbh, can grow more organically.

It'll be interesting to see how this grows. Do any other Clubs have a women's team that isn't in the top flight?
Bath Ladies are at the same level as Lichfield