Tigers vs Exeter - Saturday 18th September 2021 - 1500

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers vs Exeter - Saturday 18th September 2021 - 1500

Post by Scott1 »

Can anyone tell me what our red zone strike rate was like? Only watched the highlights but looked very good on there,that was our biggest problem last season imo.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

Big Dai wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:06 pm
Crofty wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:23 am
Didn't feel like we had the rub of the green from where we were standing, we just played well enough to not need it.
Rub of the green moments? When Wellard crawled on his knees and was rightly pinged.... But I've seen them given, against us, at Bath?

Two Cole rips that could (should) have been given as playing the ball on the deck?

Tempest making a lovely block on their 9s pass?

From a couple of these incidents we get the ball back, go up the other end and score. Rub of the green? Sir getting it right? (for once 😊) Sir getting it wrong and benefitting us?

You're right I think when you say we played well enough not to need it. We've often been the dishevelled mob on the recieving end. We were far from that yesterday. Painting a good picture for sir..... I think the pundits say.
You can't count the TMO correcting an incorrectly given try at the very last minute the rub of the green, you're reaching there.

As for the rips, how many times did Exeter hold on when we had a jackaler on the ball for far longer than the one that was given against us? How many time did Exeter come flying into the ruck off feet that got ignored, how short was their first "try" (looked shorter than Austin Healy to me)?

And, of course, there was the turnover we won deep in our own half, got a clean break from and Tempo blew up because, well, that will be a mystery for the ages, but it swapped our clean break for a scrum...
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:41 pm Can anyone tell me what our red zone strike rate was like? Only watched the highlights but looked very good on there,that was our biggest problem last season imo.
In the 22 it was very good on the whole, that said we did mess up a couple promising opportunities from further out
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

kpj tiger wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:57 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:41 pm Can anyone tell me what our red zone strike rate was like? Only watched the highlights but looked very good on there,that was our biggest problem last season imo.
In the 22 it was very good on the whole, that said we did mess up a couple promising opportunities from further out
Thanks 👍
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:02 pm
Thanks 👍
Far less handling errors in the red zone yesterday than previously. Our handling was incredible at times and some of the offloading was top class. Great progress in this department for me :smt023
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:06 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:02 pm

Thanks 👍
Far less handling errors in the red zone yesterday than previously. Our handling was incredible at times and some of the offloading was top class. Great progress in this department for me :smt023
Agreed. The attacking skills on display were light years ahead of what we saw last season. Hoping to see an encore on Friday Vs Glaws.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Must admit that was not previously impressed by Nemsi’s fitness but he looked very good yesterday and more involved
A2O
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

There seemed a far clearer intent to promote the ball yesterday, through offloads, both upright but also it was clear to see players hitting the deck and first instinct was to try and identify support runners to pop
up to. Equally it was evident we were regularly pushing passes beyond/behind the first receiver to put width on the play. Pleasing to see a step away from the one out arm wrestle we’ve been seeing over the last few seasons.
As for Exeter ‘fluffing their lines’, I’d say that was largely down to the intensity of Tigers defence. Not only the line speed and fast reload, but also a number of well executed two man tackles that either dislodged the ball, or else forced the resulting breakdown back past the gain line. This was a collective effort too, not just the usual suspects dominating collisions. Impressive.
Borthwick was very pragmatic in his post match press interview, commented on it not being Exeter’s first choice team, but the reality is you can only control your own actions, and we played smart rugby with real intensity and ambition. Good start.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Reffell with 18 tackles 1 missed
Dolly and Wells with 16 tackles 1 missed each
Hanro with 13 tackles 1 missed
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:26 pm Reffell with 18 tackles 1 missed
Would have thought Martin would have been top
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

kpj tiger wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:22 pm
He was on 9 with 0 missed.
Couple thing don't know how they count double tackles (Seem to be in plenty of them) he was also taken off with 20 to go compared to the others who played 70 - 80 minutes.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:28 pm
kpj tiger wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:22 pm
He was on 9 with 0 missed.
Couple thing don't know how they count double tackles (Seem to be in plenty of them) he was also taken off with 20 to go compared to the others who played 70 - 80 minutes.
Yeah that makes sense, I would imagine he made the most dominant hits which is why it stuck in my head
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Crofty wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:49 pm
Didn't feel like we had the rub of the green from where we were standing, we just played well enough to not need it.
Rub of the green moments? When Wellard crawled on his knees and was rightly pinged.... But I've seen them given, against us, at Bath?

Two Cole rips that could (should) have been given as playing the ball on the deck?

From a couple of these incidents we get the ball back, go up the other end and score. Rub of the green? Sir getting it right? (for once 😊) Sir getting it wrong and benefitting us?

You're right I think when you say we played well enough not to need it. We've often been the dishevelled mob on the recieving end. We were far from that yesterday. Painting a good picture for sir..... I think the pundits say.
You can't count the TMO correcting an incorrectly given try at the very last minute the rub of the green, you're reaching there.

As for the rips, how many times did Exeter hold on when we had a jackaler on the ball for far longer than the one that was given against us? How many time did Exeter come flying into the ruck off feet that got ignored, how short was their first "try" (looked shorter than Austin Healy to me)?

And, of course, there was the turnover we won deep in our own half, got a clean break from and Tempo blew up because, well, that will be a mystery for the ages, but it swapped our clean break for a scrum...
I think you misunderstand me. When you're not the dominant side these things go against you.

Like at Bath.

When you're the dominant side you seem to get the calls.....
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

We’ll done Crofty. You’ve won the green tinted glasses of the match award for this week. 👓
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Dokie wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:44 pm

We’ll done Crofty. You’ve won the green tinted glasses of the match award for this week. 👓
Or perhaps is Crofty a realist and you win the pessimist of the week award Dokie? :smt012

For me the officials had a good game. Exeter got away with plenty too but I thought Tempo did a decent job. Yes, perhaps a yellow card might have come a little sooner with a different referee but why do so many people seem desperate to dwell on these things and not just enjoy a dogged gritty Tigers win against a side we hadn't beaten in the previous 7 meetings?

Feet on the floor.. yes Exeter were under strength but so were we, yes we had a few decisions go our way but so did Exeter. No way I'm buying the we were lucky and got the rub of the green. We played better, were more clinical and took our chances and deserved the win.
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!