Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers vs Exeter - Saturday 18th September 2021 - 1500

Post by Scott1 »

Any highlights (for now) anywhere please? Thanks 👍
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
ancientmariner

Post by ancientmariner »

Interesting (and very fair) report on the Exeter website - amongst other things crediting Kevin Sinfield with our tight defence.
Ancient Mariner
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

Enjoyable day …Steward just gets better, Dolly rose to the occasion …
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

TigerMac3 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:58 pm Anyone know the official attendance? Great to be back today, the lads left it all out there, and the atmosphere was great, but seemed to be a lot of empty seats…
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Only just watched as away with work but managed to avoid finding out the score and watched the full match..

Firstly I thought that the officials, in particular Tempest were excellent. I particularly liked him telling Exeter ‘if you ask for a yellow card it’ll be you that gets one!’

What a good game. Great intensity, great attacking in the first half and really solid dogged defense. Missing our 3 first choice hookers (Montoya, Youngs, Clare) seemed to cost us in the scrum but thought Dolly did very well otherwise. Otherwise we have a really good base to build on. Sinfield seems to have worked wonders and Nadolo and Potter I thought had good games. Steward and Liebenberg were exceptional as was Martin. Like the look of Snyman. Ford top class with his delayed passes and kicking to touch.

Tigers are back and got a 5-0 over Exeter which given the fact the last 7 head to heads have all been won by Exeter is no mean feat. Yes Exeter are missing a raft of players but we are too (Montoya, Youngs/Clare, Van Staden, Wiese and Moroni).. great performance all round... yep.. enjoyed that one! :smt041 :smt041 :smt041
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:50 pm Any highlights (for now) anywhere please? Thanks 👍
https://www.premiershiprugby.com/watch/ ... tch-180921

Full match replay here
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Feet on the ground and keep things in proportion but could not wish for a better start....
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

kk20gb30 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:31 am Feet on the ground and keep things in proportion but could not wish for a better start....
Agreed. If we can keep up that energy level it looks good. The energy and the intent were what pleased me most. They looked like a team not individuals and they looked hungry for a win. Mistakes? Sure. Rub of the green ? Yes. Exeter fluffing their lines? Also true, but overwhelmingly a Tigers' side with heart. Excellent!
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Ohhhh me head!

Had this ruddy strange dream last night that we beat last year's finalists. Backs and forwards scoring tries and the fullback caught everything.

........very odd!
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:08 am
Scott1 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:50 pm Any highlights (for now) anywhere please? Thanks 👍
https://www.premiershiprugby.com/watch/ ... tch-180921

Full match replay here
Thanks TFS 👍
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

Old Hob wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:04 am
kk20gb30 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:31 am Feet on the ground and keep things in proportion but could not wish for a better start....
Agreed. If we can keep up that energy level it looks good. The energy and the intent were what pleased me most. They looked like a team not individuals and they looked hungry for a win. Mistakes? Sure. Rub of the green ? Yes. Exeter fluffing their lines? Also true, but overwhelmingly a Tigers' side with heart. Excellent!
Didn't feel like we had the rub of the green from where we were standing, we just played well enough to not need it.

Equally, Exeter fluffing their lines was, in no small part to our performance absolutely rattling them, our boys were immense and they weren't expecting that.

Are we the finished article, of course not, no team in sport ever is, that's how you stay on top, but my goodness me how quickly has this ship turned so far!
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Crofty wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:23 am
Old Hob wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:04 am
Didn't feel like we had the rub of the green from where we were standing, we just played well enough to not need it.

Equally, Exeter fluffing their lines was, in no small part to our performance absolutely rattling them, our boys were immense and they weren't expecting that.

Are we the finished article, of course not, no team in sport ever is, that's how you stay on top, but my goodness me how quickly has this ship turned so far!
Spot on for me Crofty :smt023

Exeter rarely make mistakes, you have put them under pressure, get in their faces and play them at their own game. We did that perfectly. They had won all of the previous 7 H2H meetings and have made the last 6 Prem finals, not to mention have been more than impressive in Europe. Yes they were under strength but so were we (Montoya, Youngs, Clare, Wiese, Van Staden, Moroni to name just a few..) Could the referee have produced a yellow slightly earlier than he did? Yes probably but I think the officials were pretty much spot on all afternoon and I think your post hits the nail on the head :smt023
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Crofty wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:23 am

[/quote]

Rub of the green moments? When Wellard crawled on his knees and was rightly pinged.... But I've seen them given, against us, at Bath?

Two Cole rips that could (should) have been given as playing the ball on the deck?

Tempest making a lovely block on their 9s pass?

From a couple of these incidents we get the ball back, go up the other end and score. Rub of the green? Sir getting it right? (for once 😊) Sir getting it wrong and benefitting us?

You're right I think when you say we played well enough not to need it. We've often been the dishevelled mob on the recieving end. We were far from that yesterday. Painting a good picture for sir..... I think the pundits say.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Voyager1
Tiger Cub

Post by Voyager1 »

The defence was awesome, but what do you expect when we have probably the finest Rugby League player of our era as defence coach. Definitely one of the Tigers best signings in the last few decades, with possibly, the exception being, Tim Stimpson, the hero of Paris 2001.
What noise annoys an oyster
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Voyager1 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:22 pm The defence was awesome, but what do you expect when we have probably the finest Rugby League player of our era as defence coach. Definitely one of the Tigers best signings in the last few decades, with possibly, the exception being, Tim Stimpson, the hero of Paris 2001.
Good players don't always make good coaches. I was however, very impressed by Sinfield's defence. I expected the line speed but how quickly he had the lads drilled to reload was impressive. So many players were involved in back to back rucks or every other ruck which left very little space for Chiefs and often left us in a good position to contest the breakdown. Contesting the breakdown has come on as well, other than some players being slow to roll away we gave away very little in terms of penalties.

If we can have a little more restraint close to the line then our defence could be a real weapon this season.