Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tigers vs Exeter - Saturday 18th September 2021 - 1500

Post by Dokie »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:03 pm
Dokie wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:44 pm
Crofty wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:49 pm

You can't count the TMO correcting an incorrectly given try at the very last minute the rub of the green, you're reaching there.

As for the rips, how many times did Exeter hold on when we had a jackaler on the ball for far longer than the one that was given against us? How many time did Exeter come flying into the ruck off feet that got ignored, how short was their first "try" (looked shorter than Austin Healy to me)?

And, of course, there was the turnover we won deep in our own half, got a clean break from and Tempo blew up because, well, that will be a mystery for the ages, but it swapped our clean break for a scrum...
We’ll done Crofty. You’ve won the green tinted glasses of the match award for this week. 👓
Or perhaps is Crofty a realist and you win the pessimist of the week award Dokie? :smt012

For me the officials had a good game. Exeter got away with plenty too but I thought Tempo did a decent job. Yes, perhaps a yellow card might have come a little sooner with a different referee but why do so many people seem desperate to dwell on these things and not just enjoy a dogged gritty Tigers win against a side we hadn't beaten in the previous 7 meetings?

Feet on the floor.. yes Exeter were under strength but so were we, yes we had a few decisions go our way but so did Exeter. No way I'm buying the we were lucky and got the rub of the green. We played better, were more clinical and took our chances and deserved the win.
That’s a bit of an oxymoron Oakham. You praise the officials, which I concur with; and then back Crofty, who has laid into them!
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Dokie wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:17 pm
We’ll done Crofty. You’ve won the green tinted glasses of the match award for this week. 👓
Or perhaps is Crofty a realist and you win the pessimist of the week award Dokie? :smt012

For me the officials had a good game. Exeter got away with plenty too but I thought Tempo did a decent job. Yes, perhaps a yellow card might have come a little sooner with a different referee but why do so many people seem desperate to dwell on these things and not just enjoy a dogged gritty Tigers win against a side we hadn't beaten in the previous 7 meetings?

Feet on the floor.. yes Exeter were under strength but so were we, yes we had a few decisions go our way but so did Exeter. No way I'm buying the we were lucky and got the rub of the green. We played better, were more clinical and took our chances and deserved the win.
That’s a bit of an oxymoron Oakham. You praise the officials, which I concur with; and then back Crofty, who has laid into them!
It was more the sentiment I was backing. The fact that there were plenty of decisions that Exeter got away with too which many seem to have overlooked. Lots of people saying we got the rub of green or even lucky to get the decisions but I saw decisions go both ways. Overall yes I thought the officials were good and yes we probably got slightly better decisions from the referee overall but fully deserved the win and we earned all 5 of those points through dogged defense and determination
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

I'm afraid I started the "the rub of the green" hare running and I did not make my intention clear. I think we overwhelmingly deserved the win and was only referring to a couple of incidents (the bounce of Freddie Steward's kick for example) as to how things went right for us that may well have gone wrong on another day.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Old Hob wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:23 pm I'm afraid I started the "the rub of the green" hare running and I did not make my intention clear. I think we overwhelmingly deserved the win and was only referring to a couple of incidents (the bounce of Freddie Steward's kick for example) as to how things went right for us that may well have gone wrong on another day.
Thanks for clarifying Old Hob. My post wasn't aimed at you in particular just a general feeling I'd picked up
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

Good to see your grip on reality is as firm as ever Dokie, where have I laid into the ref? I countered worryingly common inference that Tempo was favouring us by pointing out many decisions that didn't go our way...
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

Crofty wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:54 pm

Good to see your grip on reality is as firm as ever Dokie, where have I laid into the ref? I countered worryingly common inference that Tempo was favouring us by pointing out many decisions that didn't go our way...
Well, you’ve laid in with the criticism that we weren’t given penalties for Exeter holding on and also for them flying in off their feet. And then there’s the clean break that Tempest called back for a scrum. Your words, not mine.
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

Dokie wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:20 pm
Well, you’ve laid in with the criticism that we weren’t given penalties for Exeter holding on and also for them flying in off their feet. And then there’s the clean break that Tempest called back for a scrum. Your words, not mine.
In response to those laying in to him for not yellow carding one of ours earlier, not blowing up for jackalers playing off feet and, most perversely, correctly scrubbing off their crawl in try, about whom you were oddly silent...
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

non possumus capere
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

Crofty wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:30 pm

In response to those laying in to him for not yellow carding one of ours earlier, not blowing up for jackalers playing off feet and, most perversely, correctly scrubbing off their crawl in try, about whom you were oddly silent...
Why was I oddly silent in not commenting on something that I agreed with?
We seem to have crossed wires here.
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

Dokie wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:43 pm
Crofty wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:30 pm
Why was I oddly silent in not commenting on something that I agreed with?
We seem to have crossed wires here.
You were balling me out for laying into the ref (when I wasn't) but agreed with others laying into him?
No, not that one!

non possumus capere
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Good job we didn’t lose ay 😂
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Greenwhiteandred
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Greenwhiteandred »

Regardless - perhaps we can all agree we were the better team on the day and deserved the win ???
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bunchy »

Scott1 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:56 pm Top Chiefs 15,even missing their players. But we have the stronger bench,with their backline though still favourites for me,Chiefs by 11-20.
This didnt age well !!!
Less is more....
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

What a great game! We played out hearts out from 1-23.

I normally try to avoid listening to the little runt (even though I hate to admit that there are times when he is right, albeit rarely yesterday) and Ben Kay on commentary, but this time I had little choice. It really wound me up when they kept on about Exeter losing so many of their "key players" but they would not acknowledge that we were also short of quite a few important players. They try so hard not to seem biased for Tigers, they actually go too far the other way far too often.

We were playing our 3rd /4th choice hookers, with arguably the best hooker, if not one of the best hookers in the world, Montoya, missing. We were missing arguably our best ball carrier, Wiese, as well as Van Staden, who also cant be sniffed at. Moroni is also a world class 13, IMHO. We also have some of our maybe 2nd choices missing like Brink, OTY... On the positive side, it just shows how incredibly strong our squad is now.

Tempest was random as usual, although given the current standard of premiership referees, really not too bad.
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

mol2 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:11 pm
TigerMac3 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:58 pm Anyone know the official attendance? Great to be back today, the lads left it all out there, and the atmosphere was great, but seemed to be a lot of empty seats…
Yes I am always sceptical on these attendances is it 1) Season ticket tickets + match tickets or 2) Turnstile swipes ?
I spoke to one Supervisor and he told me 12,500 expected but I think there were more than that in the last minute rush but for a top team like Exeter there were an awful lot of empty seats, perhaps the restart momentum will kick in based on our results.
And the ABC bar will open and have some hand pulled Tiger Copper beer, or even have some beer after Saturdays problems!
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Tempest was random as usual, although given the current standard of premiership referees, really not too bad.
That's a sad indictment on most of the rest of them :smt003

At least between him and the TMO they got to the right decisions on the 2 Exeter disallowed "tries".
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!