Scarlets visit - Thursday 09th September 2021

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Re: Scarlets visit - Thursday 09th September 2021

Post by ay2oh »

Quite amusing how fickle some fans are. Lose one friendly with a much changed team and suddenly at all doom and gloom
A2O
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

ay2oh wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:03 pm Quite amusing how fickle some fans are. Lose one friendly with a much changed team and suddenly at all doom and gloom
Not forgetting those with a realistic, sporting, balanced outlook on matches. The holding, blocking, overrunning and sealing off that so many of our opponents get away with, time and again, when not a single Tigers player would ever dream of indulging in such practices.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

We shall see next Saturday where we are in reality & also arguably on Fri at 12 when the team is announced.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

JP14 wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:20 pm Well I feel partly to blame for two reasons:

1 - I had forgot to wash my lucky socks between Saturday and this evening
2 - Before I halftime I yelled at the Scarlets in jest to bring on some props who would bother to scrum properly, and they did…

Lineout was poor, to me it seems a lifting issue.

Overall, I’m not concerned it’s preseason, and given that everyone needs game time I will forgive the odd selections.
# I was more upset that the three officials wore red shirts and Scarlets dwelled on that several times. :smt002
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

ay2oh wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:03 pm Quite amusing how fickle some fans are. Lose one friendly with a much changed team and suddenly at all doom and gloom
I get how a comment of “that’s us doomed for the season” would be wide of the mark, but an honest appraisal of, albeit a friendly, is what it is, and you couldn’t dress that Scarlets game up any other way. To dismiss it as only pre season again is naive in my book, given the starting line up. You’d think that they’d be a bit more structure, given they’ve been training it for 2 months, even accounting for a match situation and the opposition. If it all comes good and we go up a few levels, vs Chiefs, make less errors and the attack fires then Happy days, but on that performance, it’s unlikely.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

westwinds31 wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:33 am
I get how a comment of “that’s us doomed for the season” would be wide of the mark, but an honest appraisal of, albeit a friendly, is what it is, and you couldn’t dress that Scarlets game up any other way. To dismiss it as only pre season again is naive in my book, given the starting line up. You’d think that they’d be a bit more structure, given they’ve been training it for 2 months, even accounting for a match situation and the opposition. If it all comes good and we go up a few levels, vs Chiefs, make less errors and the attack fires then Happy days, but on that performance, it’s unlikely.
Fantastic post, my point was just that on that performance we are looking at a 11-20 point loss to Chiefs. I don’t see anything wrong with that prediction. The set piece was my biggest worry,of that doesn’t drastically improve we are in big trouble!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

As one of the most "precious" people on this forum Scott that's a bit rich...

I have been underwhelmed by our past two games, but it is difficult to judge how "match" prepared we were, but some of the basics which should of been ok regardless were poor, full judgement reserved for next Saturday.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Dokie wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:35 pm
Not forgetting those with a realistic, sporting, balanced outlook on matches. The holding, blocking, overrunning and sealing off that so many of our opponents get away with, time and again, when not a single Tigers player would ever dream of indulging in such practices.
Nobody said that, but then you are soooo prickly if its the Welsh involved. The aforesaid ploys are endemic to Pro14, introduced strongly when the late Jerry Collins was around. In England, Chiefs have built their game on them. They are frequent since the old ruck practices were replaced by static displays.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

We looked pretty average, and that was dissapointing. Nothing great about the backs, and our defence looked pretty shaky. There's work to be , and it needs to be done pretty quickly.
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

jgriffin wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:54 pm
Nobody said that, but then you are soooo prickly if its the Welsh involved. The aforesaid ploys are endemic to Pro14, introduced strongly when the late Jerry Collins was around. In England, Chiefs have built their game on them. They are frequent since the old ruck practices were replaced by static displays.
On this occasion, this has nothing to do with any Welsh connection but purely me venting my frustration at the ignorance or blindness of fellow posters who bemoan referees for allowing and opposition players for undertaking such practices, with literally no reference to the fact that we do it just as much as any other team.
Exeter seem to be targeted on here more than anyone. So, I’m fully expecting next week that the forum will be flooded with accusations before the end of the warm up.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Dokie wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:12 pm
On this occasion, this has nothing to do with any Welsh connection but purely me venting my frustration at the ignorance or blindness of fellow posters who bemoan referees for allowing and opposition players for undertaking such practices, with literally no reference to the fact that we do it just as much as any other team.
Exeter seem to be targeted on here more than anyone. So, I’m fully expecting next week that the forum will be flooded with accusations before the end of the warm up.
If by some quirk of fate we manage to beat Exeter at the weekend I suspect there will be no such accusations. Seems some are convinced that Tigers defeats are either due to official incompetence or opposition cheating rather than our own shortcomings. Our fate is in our hands.
I'm not cynical just experienced
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Yes! It’s up to the players to take the ref out of the equation! That said, the debacle at the end of the Bristol game means it’s not always possible!
Injuries to Clare, Brink and maybe Reffel and Wells is worrying given the internationals that are away!
Still, it will be great to get behind the team on Saturday.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Dokie wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:12 pm
Chwarae teg but I guess you notice I am down on all the practices around the tackle area, as was Nigel a fortnight ago. Return to the Laws! However, it was certainly the all Blacks who initiate most of the hated practices, and Collins demonstrated those in Pro12. Once refs got sloppy, rugby was on a downhill path, and clubs should have been brought up short. Alas it usually takes a decade for them to do so - hence the longevity of the "I was just retreating, not disrupting" ploy that took a decade to get punished from the ABs demonstrating it on their late 90s tour.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

Old Hob wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:10 pm Quote from Sam about the referee...." I'd have been interested to hear more of what she was saying but a lot of the bland waffle in commentary covered it up..."

I think that during every televised game
And that commentary has a frustrating regularity in being Ally Eiken [sp?] saying, "now let's just listen to what [Referee's name] has to say, [co-commentator's name]" by which time the referee has finished what they were saying...
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

With the pre-season fixtures announced for this season pretty interesting looking back on this thread and what happened durring the season.