The Hundred X Rugby

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: The Hundred X Rugby

Post by JP14 »

Can we just have a global calendar? Thanks.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

ads wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:19 pm To be honest though, that might not be such a bad thing for the clubs. At least they'd have a full squad to pick from for the full season. Obviously we want to see big name players playing for our clubs but we also want to be on a level playing field with all clubs being able to field a full squad of players, not players dissapearing for months on end and having to pay them anyway.

I don't think I like the 12's idea, but no idea what the rules will be. It would be a bit rich of the players to want to play in this tournament after many stating that there are too many games already though...
I can certainly see your point and I too would love to see a full squad of whatever level available all season to remove the inconsistancies caused by how many players are lost to internationals. The problem is not, however, with existing rugby fans. To expand and attract new supporters, especially kids, they want to see the international stars as to most, they are the only players that they see on TV etc. Look at county cricket without the test players, simply no interest outside of the die hard supporters.

Irrespective of whether this 12 a side is a good idea (I like some of the rule proposals like only one scrum reset then free kick), rugby is reaching a day of reckoning. Incomes are not increasing at anywhere near the levels of player wage demands and there has to be some give in one direction or the other. There also has to be a reduction in international demands on individuals. Whether this comes about in time before bigger named clubs start going under, only time will tell but there must be a few walking a pretty thin line at the moment.
VernonAtrium

Post by VernonAtrium »

One thing I enjoyed about the Hundred was seeing players shine who I previously knew nothing about - not the big star names. The bottom line will be money. It always is with professional sport. They will have to change the rules, of course, to provide a quicker, more exciting game - just like cricket have done. Here's a few ideas that came to mind, let's see if any end up in the 12s game:

1) Shorten game time. The Hundred has 100 balls bowled per team. 12s rugby could allow 100 passes per team. Once your 100 passes have been used, you have to kick and chase the ball.

2) Speed up play. No tackling allowed above the waist. No more than one player doing the tackling. Anyone tackling above the waist or two or more tacklers and the offending team has 7 points docked from their total score at that point in the game. If that takes them into minus figures, so be it.

3) Powerplay period. Each team can declare a ten-minute period in the game where opposition forwards are not allowed inside their (the team declaring's) 22. A similar period could apply to backs.

4) Putt-in. At scrum time, instead of handing the ball straight to their 2nd row, scrum halves must kick the ball in.

5) Scrum switch. If an infringement resulting in a scrum only involved backs, then only the backs from both teams form the reduced scrum, with the relevant hooker taking the scrum half role.

These ideas are all copyright (c) British-American Life, Leisure and Sport Associated Consulting Knowledge, PLC. Any parties interested in taking these forward are advised to contact the company via the usual channels, i.e. leaving a note behind the bar at Beerhouse, St. Mary's Road, Market Harborough, Leicestershire. A representative will be in touch, subject to appropriate remuneration.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Horrible idea,hope it doesn’t go ahead!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

I don't follow cricket enough - was The Hundred really just a way to get Twenty20 on the BBC? It doesn't seem like the format is that much different to Twnety20, just slightly shorter. Do Sky etc have all the other competitions locked up?
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Cardiff Tig wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:33 pm I don't follow cricket enough - was The Hundred really just a way to get Twenty20 on the BBC? It doesn't seem like the format is that much different to Twnety20, just slightly shorter. Do Sky etc have all the other competitions locked up?
ECB did a huge piece of research and it became apparent that many youngsters didn't list cricket among their top five sports followed. The issue has, in the main, been brought about by the removal of cricket from mainstream TV (which was of the ECB's making.)

The solution that they came up with was a new competition which would be on terrestrial and satellite TV that was 'different' to something which is already on offer and with a view to bringing some of the best players in the world and in the country together to play in this new competition. They also launched a new grass roots initiative called Dynamos, which was directly linked to the Hundred and was designed as a follow on from All Stars (which is for the tots through to 8 years of age).

If you believe the media hype, it has achieved a goal in terms of youth engagement - one of my main gripes is that it's all well and good having a competition like this, but unless you are a top-class pro, there is nowhere where you can replicate the format as it is not played in club cricket where the traditional six-ball over is the norm and games are played over 20, 40, 45 or 50 overs - depending on the level or competition.

There are a number of differences between T20, aside from the loss of 20 deliveries - including allowing a bowler to bowl two sets in a row from the same end.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

I wasn't being totally serious about central contracts but it really does annoy me that we lose our internationals for such long periods.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

There would be little need for central contracts (unless for financial reasons) if we had a global calendar.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

The man* speaks sense!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/58486763

*Rob Baxter that is.
nasher

Post by nasher »

Just like the hundred in cricket it removes the influence and the cash from the clubs and gives it the organisers and the promoters/franchise holders. Cynical cash move will mark the end of professional club rugby’s we know it.
bendy

Post by bendy »

The distinction (I hope!) is that county cricket is dead - there's no saving it. Having 12 pensioners in the ground for 2 of the 4 days isn't enough to pay a squad of say 20 players on an average wage (I'm guessing) of £30k each.

Some counties can make ends meet with test / ODI ticket sales, but the likes of Leicestershire have to scrabble with concerts and what not.

Call me naive, but there's still a relatively high level of interest in domestic rugby, but perhaps I'd be saying different if I were a Bath or LI fan?
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

bendy wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:47 pm The distinction (I hope!) is that county cricket is dead - there's no saving it. Having 12 pensioners in the ground for 2 of the 4 days isn't enough to pay a squad of say 20 players on an average wage (I'm guessing) of £30k each.

Some counties can make ends meet with test / ODI ticket sales, but the likes of Leicestershire have to scrabble with concerts and what not.

Call me naive, but there's still a relatively high level of interest in domestic rugby, but perhaps I'd be saying different if I were a Bath or LI fan?
The concern I have is that the squads need to be bigger and the players are not even getting out of bed for £30000.00. Based on that, whilst rugby can survive, the finances look mighty precarious and it does not help that all that the media care about is international rugby. In order to help the clubs, what should happen is that the next England rugby TV deal should be tied in to a package of TV revenue for showing Premiership and Championship games and so, to get the televisual equivalent of the Crown Jewels, you have to support the game as a whole.
aslongaswebeatsaints
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by aslongaswebeatsaints »

I notice that once again lots of talk about more money and very little about player welfare. I smell the greed of a few “organisers”.

By the way it’s already been done. Some chaps at the George Hotel in Huddersfield came up with something similar a few years ago. The difference was that meeting was first a foremost about player welfare. The rule and format changes followed later.

Why not put the energy towards growing women’s rugby or sevens instead?
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

Whether it’s cricket with the hundred, rugby with this nonsense or football with the European super league administrators seem to think that a new cash cow will solve the problems of a badly run game rather than dealing with the causes of their current problems.
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

Also, rugby is so complex rules wise that it is only an enjoyable watch to those who have grown up with it, either playing, or in a family who played. I’ve watched games with friends who’ve been totally unmoved seeing two lines of blokes, ball thrown between them, big group of players all pushing, then they all fell over and the ref stuck his arm up. To a neutral, that is not thrilling