Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

The start of the end?

Post by Cardiff Tig »

Interesting news on the BBC today.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/58369271

Could be some large liability pay outs in the future similar to the NFL. Not sure Rugby is rich enough to afford it...
JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: The start of the end?

Post by JP14 »

Doesn’t matter if the game can’t afford the payouts, the signs have been there for years now, you would think Sir Bill would be doing more considering he had to retire because of concussions in the 80s but there you go… :smt017
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

The authorities are working on making the game more safer and trying to educate players. There is a risk in all sports and people who play them recognise it. Horse racing, the jockey could be thrown from the horse and suffer back neck injuries, lifechanging. Motor racing is plagued with danger.
People who come into play sports must be aware of the possible dangers and measures need to be put in place to reduce the number of injuries and the impacts. The only way to take away any risk is to stop the sport.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Sadly, I do think that the game is not the game I played because of the "professional era" and players able to make a career out of it. If you were 6' 3 and 17 stone you were a 2nd row able to run a 100m in about 20 secs if you were quick. The size of players today due to their ability to train and train and train and most can do 100m in less than 12 sec means that the impacts are out of this world compared to 20years ago. IMHO the only way the game will be able to continue as a professional game in 10 years' time is to sort out the tackle and ruck situation - get rid of the Jackler to start with. They offer their head and back to Exocet missiles coming in at great speed from 10m - ball on the floor is played with the feet only would help. The Jackler gets pinged if he goes beyond the ball and comes back onto it, Why then is it ok for the defenders to go beyond not just the ball but their own tackled player and put their hand on the floor? I would also have a tackle line on all shirts - I am only 5'8" and cannot remember ever tackling at head/shoulder level - not big enough - always waist or legs but this method is becoming a rarity in the professional game. Back to the topic - it has to change for the health of all players - just watched the Shane Williams interview - well worth a watch, could not disagree with anything he said.
Hehehehehehehehe
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Fixing the ruck and reducing tactical substitutions will save the game, not destroy it. Of course there is risk, I accept that by playing the sport, all players accepts it. A continuation of negligible twiddling of the thumbs by the organisations, however, threatens the sport if we’re not careful.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Can we trust teams to use substitutions for “injury” reasons though? I cant and that’s a sad indictment of the game today!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

Scott1 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:48 am Can we trust teams to use substitutions for “injury” reasons though? I cant and that’s a sad indictment of the game today!
Maybe we go back to the 70s, when a substitution was only made after an independent doctor declared a player unfit to continue.
Remember the desperation of Derek Quinnell to get on before the final whistle.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Scott1 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:48 am Can we trust teams to use substitutions for “injury” reasons though? I cant and that’s a sad indictment of the game today!
A nice way of sorting that one would be to say injured players can't play for one or two weeks - there would be no cheating then
Hehehehehehehehe
BengalTiger

Post by BengalTiger »

Simple solution to the subs issue, if you are subbed for injury you cannot play for 10 days afterwards, player welfare, tick, stops cheating, tick!
If you run out of props for the next game start with 14.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Dokie wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:31 pm
Maybe we go back to the 70s, when a substitution was only made after an independent doctor declared a player unfit to continue.
This would also prevent any repetition of Bloodgate
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Old Hob wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:08 pm
Dokie wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:31 pm
This would also prevent any repetition of Bloodgate
A certain Mr R Underwood often got a tight hamstring around 50min in a Tigers game the weekend before an England game, the Dr always agreed, Rory often left the pitch to a cry of "See you next week at Twickers"...
Not have a raft of subs makes sense, it's how it gets policed is the issue, it would improve the game as well, sorting out the ruck would have benefits in welfare & the game as a whole.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

There's a question I'm pondering that's at the heart of these comments... is the risk greater from: (a) introducing 'impact players', or; (b) from leaving fatigued players on-pitch?
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

The worrying thing is that I am not sure what you can do. All the changes proposed may help to mitigate the situation but rugby remains an impact sport and blows to the head, intentional or not, will always be there. There can be improvements in rest and recovery times but the fixture calendar is becoming ever more crowded with international fixtures whilst higher wage demands, salary caps and not exactly stellar levels of income mean that squad sizes cannot grow to accomodate the existing match demand.

This is a serious subject and I do not think that it is scaremongering to say that a succesful lawsuit against the RFU or the Clubs could be enough to put the professional game at risk.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

GB72 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:32 am The worrying thing is that I am not sure what you can do. All the changes proposed may help to mitigate the situation but rugby remains an impact sport and blows to the head, intentional or not, will always be there. There can be improvements in rest and recovery times but the fixture calendar is becoming ever more crowded with international fixtures whilst higher wage demands, salary caps and not exactly stellar levels of income mean that squad sizes cannot grow to accomodate the existing match demand.

This is a serious subject and I do not think that it is scaremongering to say that a succesful lawsuit against the RFU or the Clubs could be enough to put the professional game at risk.
From a selfish point of view too,and don’t anyone take this the wrong way because I don’t want to see anyone ever get hurt,if it got to the stage the game as we know it was watered down too much I’d rather it be done away with all together and I would walk away. Our game could be at a tipping point.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

It’s an interesting debate in so much that most contact and physical sport will cause increases in injury and in particular head injury.

Whilst I’m no anti-woke ranter I do think there comes a point where as long as there are studies to monitor issues and that safety measures are put into place where practicable, it’s down to the individual to choose whether they want to participate or not.

Ultimately if we banned or made safe everything in life, sport and many activities as we know them would cease to exist and that, IMO, isn’t going to happen.

As such, although tweaks might be made to make aspects safer, broadly speaking football is always going to include heading the ball and rugby will be as we know it