sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers vs Dragons - Saturday 4th September

Post by sam16111986 »

chewbacca wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:31 pm
MurphysLaw wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:47 pm
chris111 wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:37 pm

I presume the point of the change is to tip the balance in favour of attack - by making the drift defence less attractive. Is that right, or am I missing something obvious?!
I think that's right Chris. I think it will be a major tactic this season, with kicking f/hs, centres and abs all looking to take advantage.
More kicking less running line out is almost a gimme since lifting was allowed further forward dominated game and this is more entertaining?
People wanted less box kicking and this will mean less box kicking. Initially it'll mean a lot of kicking long but then you'll see more teams dropping players back to better cover the flanks which will mean less players in the defensive line and therefore in theory more attacking rugby.
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Offside »

My worry is more rolling maul tries that are hard to defend. I know Baxter says just put more players in to defend the maul and give space for the attack but we will see.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Offside wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:41 pm My worry is more rolling maul tries that are hard to defend. I know Baxter says just put more players in to defend the maul and give space for the attack but we will see.
That’s my concern. A three phase game. Kick, line out, maul
I'm not cynical just experienced
daktari
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by daktari »

chewbacca wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:44 am
Offside wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:41 pm My worry is more rolling maul tries that are hard to defend. I know Baxter says just put more players in to defend the maul and give space for the attack but we will see.
I think we could be seeing some dreadful games of kick maul repeat. It’s a stupid law, the kicks are undefendable so there’s no point dropping players back.
find a better way of life, http://www.marillion.com

marillion 19, coming ....er not sure..
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

LE18 wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:59 pm How did our 2 former players get on?
Jordan had a couple of good runs but is still a slip of a player and more than once went backwards in contact.

At least one excellent take of the high ball under pressure though.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

daktari wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:52 am
I think we could be seeing some dreadful games of kick maul repeat. It’s a stupid law, the kicks are undefendable so there’s no point dropping players back.
My bold. How so? Im pretty sure that they've got to bounce in the field of play before going out so a player in the right position should be able to stop them going out and continue play.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Cagey Tiger wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:33 am

My bold. How so? Im pretty sure that they've got to bounce in the field of play before going out so a player in the right position should be able to stop them going out and continue play.
Exactly the only time it's undefendable is if they bounce right on the edge by the touchline, which is high risk, overcook it straight to touch and it's abswing from your lineout in the opposition 22 and their lineout in your half
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

sam16111986 wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:25 pm
chewbacca wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:31 pm
MurphysLaw wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:47 pm

I think that's right Chris. I think it will be a major tactic this season, with kicking f/hs, centres and abs all looking to take advantage.
More kicking less running line out is almost a gimme since lifting was allowed further forward dominated game and this is more entertaining?
People wanted less box kicking and this will mean less box kicking. Initially it'll mean a lot of kicking long but then you'll see more teams dropping players back to better cover the flanks which will mean less players in the defensive line and therefore in theory more attacking rugby.
Well I saw 3 Tigers players (Nadolo, Steward and another) lined up behind each other spaced appx 20 feet apart along the outside of the touch line to defend a penalty kick to touch. Never seen that at Welford Road before.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
daktari
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by daktari »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:38 am
Cagey Tiger wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:33 am
Exactly the only time it's undefendable is if they bounce right on the edge by the touchline, which is high risk, overcook it straight to touch and it's abswing from your lineout in the opposition 22 and their lineout in your half
and this is what we saw yesterday
find a better way of life, http://www.marillion.com

marillion 19, coming ....er not sure..
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Any win - even pre season is welcome and no one stood out as being out place.
Plenty to work on though - especially for Kevin Sinfield I believe.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

What's an abswing?
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

kk20gb30 wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:10 am Any win - even pre season is welcome and no one stood out as being out place.
Defence looked good I thought
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:22 pm
kk20gb30 wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:10 am Any win - even pre season is welcome and no one stood out as being out place.
Defence looked good I thought
Defence did look okay when we had time to set and prep.Our defending in open play especially thorough the centre channels was yesterday very suspect I believe.Early days and pre season , I know, but to me we have to be more difficult to pass and run directly through.Admittedly however an awful lot depends on who is on the field of play and how well they can think on their feet but to me there is an issue that must be at least looked at.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

tigerburnie wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:01 pm

What's an abswing?
A typo😆😆

Meant to sat "a swing"
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

Matt Scott brings a bit more solidity in midfield defence