Club captain

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerReggie

Club captain

Post by TigerReggie »

Brilliant to see Ellis and Hanro handed the captain and vice captain roles ahead of the new season. And well done to Tom Young's for his time as captain. Go Tigers!
bendy

Re: Club captain

Post by bendy »

+1

The baby rhino is growing up!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Brilliant choices,Ellis could one day captain England! Thanks for everything Tom,a great club captain 💪👍
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postiger2 »

Scott1 wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:04 am Brilliant choices,Ellis could one day captain England! Thanks for everything Tom,a great club captain 💪👍
Agreed. Tom has done an incredible job in arguably the toughest spell the club has ever faced. Great time for a change in my opinion. Good management from Borthwick :smt001
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bunchy »

We all owe Tom Youngs a massive thankyou for his service.

It should be remembered how difficult the situation at the club was during his time as skipper, and how he fronted up and carried more than his share of the burden - but mostly the absolute pride and passion he showed for the club at all times.

Thank you Tom
Less is more....
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Great to see EG and HL taking on these roles. Good luck to them going forward.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Another couple of smart appointments by Borthwick.
aslongaswebeatsaints
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by aslongaswebeatsaints »

A massive thankyou to Tom Youngs. He can hold his head high and with pride. A true Tiger. Leadership is hard. It’s even harder when the team is struggling as a result of the poor decisions of others. And Tom had to not just carry the team on his shoulders at times but his family as well. I have nothing but total respect for him, not just as a player who ALWAYS gives his all, but as a decent human being.and Gentleman.

It’s also been a delight to see Genge grow and mature, particularly since SB arrived. Perhaps it’s the perspective of fatherhood, I can only guess. Only a few seasons ago I couldn’t see him as a captain, but now I can’t see him as anything but. And he is still getting better on the pitch.

As for Hanro. Delighted. Another obvious leader and a natural choice when your captain is going to be away on international duty.Though I wouldn’t be surprised if he gets called up for his country for the Autumn Internationals.

This next season is only getting better and better and it hasn’t even started yet!

My only question is what does this mean for GF?
Or is it a sign of SBs forwards focus.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

aslongaswebeatsaints wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:34 pm My only question is what does this mean for GF?
I'd say it's a sign the nearly 200 caps of halfback talent at 9 and 10 will be left to direct play without having to combine that focus with anything else. A captain in the forwards feels right for the clubs and the way we play under Borthwick anyway.
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Offside »

The ability to talk to refs during scrum resets etc makes forwards useful as captains. EG seems to have developed a good relationship with many refs. TY always gave his all but did seem to get on the wrong side of a few refs on occasion. If will be interest to see how EG manages when he needs to talk to refs about others as well as his own play. I think he will be good though.

Jasper W seems to have grown into his international performances and looks so much more a polished player than he was a year ago. I hope he credits Tigers with giving him a better platform to international selection and will stay. Hanro has a lot of competition for international honours but the BC job may help him display his credentials.
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

Great news and a huge thank you to Tom Youngs too
Tom has been an inspiration on and off the pitch
Gengey will be a different kind of captain and I welcome that this is a decision to help bring forward the new Dawn ☀️
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Special thanks to Tom Youngs, huge respect for the shift he put in for the club as skipper.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

It's a delight to see how Genge has grown during his time at Leicester.

Five years ago he had to leave his hometown club due to off-field issues.

In the time since he's matured into a leader and an inspiration to so many.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I guss it reflects that it is no longer the case that OTY commands a starting berth at hooker and that Genge has shown himself to be a leader on the pitch and good with the press when on England duty.

For me he should be England's starting loose head and when fit a shoe in for the Tigers, subject to England restrictions which is why Hanro makes a good vice captain.
aslongaswebeatsaints
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by aslongaswebeatsaints »

sam16111986 wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:48 pm
aslongaswebeatsaints wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:34 pm My only question is what does this mean for GF?
I'd say it's a sign the nearly 200 caps of halfback talent at 9 and 10 will be left to direct play without having to combine that focus with anything else. A captain in the forwards feels right for the clubs and the way we play under Borthwick anyway.
Thanks Sam 👍