Club captain

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Re: Club captain

Post by strawclearer »

Back in 2019, our former CEO asked me who I thought the next captain should be.

He was surprised at my answer and replied "He'll need to mature a bit first".

I guess he's done exactly that! It's a great choice!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

strawclearer wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:00 pm Back in 2019, our former CEO asked me who I thought the next captain should be.

I think that says more about said former CEO.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

sk 88 wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:51 pm
strawclearer wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:00 pm Back in 2019, our former CEO asked me who I thought the next captain should be.

You're right - it was an astute observation about a player and a person he liked and rated very highly.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Great news! Thoroughly deserved for both players.

Concur with others regarding Tom Youngs, might not have won the rub of the green or played at his best at points throughout his club captaincy but carried the club on his back from the doldrums to where we are today and deserves the upmost respect and recognition for his services.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Firstly it should be a big 'Thanks' to Tom Youngs.Never anything less than 100% commitment and effort and at times I believe has tried to carry too much on his shoulders.A man that you would always want along side you if and when it got tough and hard going.The harder it became the more he thrived.A massive and uncompromising rise to the top of the sport both as a player and leader and no one could have done more - especially considering his own personal circumstances - to carry The Club through turbulent times.
Never one to make excuses and always wore his heart on his sleeve, his passion for The Club inspired both fans and players alike.Have a (brief) rest Tom , and take a bow - you deserve to. :smt001
As for our new on field leadership - they have big boots to step into but Ellis and Hanro are for the future and command both the respect and faith of seemingly all at The Club.Their appointment is both shrewd and timely , I believe and will mark hopefully another step forward in our quest for pre-eminence once again.
Best wishes and the best of luck.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Qbec
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Qbec »

kk20gb30: I concur every word well said I couldn't have worded it any better myself :smt041
Tigers The Home Of World Class Rugby

11th Premiership Rugby Champions 2022
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Let's hope OTY now has a successful and stress-free final season as a player before taking up farming duties!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Final season?
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:33 pm Final season?
So I understand. The farm awaits!
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Thanks for everything Tom, you did your very best for the team during those troubled days, how you coped with this during Tif's illness was unbelievable, always willing to talk to my wife and me during those very dark days, we miss you as a near neighbour, hope, if this is really your final season, that you enjoy your wind down, those porkers are waiting. :smt038 :smt038 :smt038
Congrats to Gengie and Hanro, really looking forward to the season.
iceman_19
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by iceman_19 »

One thing I've noticed about Ellis, particularly over the last season, is his genuine passion for the club and his teammates.

Take scoring tries for example. If he scores - which he does alarmingly regularly for a prop - he may give a smile, but there is very little fanfare. He sees that as his job. If a teammate gets over - particularly a youngster, or a player finding their way in the team - he is the first there to congratulate them and make it a big deal for them. It is a small thing but probably reflects a larger approach which has been mentioned - he brings players together because he expects them to work hard but is desperate for them to succeed. In that debacle where we were thrashed by Wasps - his first captaincy - he probably learned a lot. It was too soon. But against Wasps at the end of this season just gone, his manner to his players and to the referee (crucially) was spot on. I am probably getting ahead of myself but I think (hope!) this is will be the best captaincy appointment since Corry's retirement, if not Johnno.

And in Hanro, another natural leader. Not particularly vocal but inspiring by actions. He will do a fair amount of legwork with Ellis on England duty - but he will hopefully be ever present, so a smart choice.

And of course props to Tom Youngs. I have always been unsure how comfortable he has been with the role on the pitch, but on the training pitch and off the field he has been unfailingly brilliant. A huge tip of the cap to him.
Tigers till I die

www.ruckedover.blogspot.com
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

iceman_19 wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:11 pm One thing I've noticed about Ellis, particularly over the last season, is his genuine passion for the club and his teammates.

Take scoring tries for example. If he scores - which he does alarmingly regularly for a prop - he may give a smile, but there is very little fanfare. He sees that as his job. If a teammate gets over - particularly a youngster, or a player finding their way in the team - he is the first there to congratulate them and make it a big deal for them. It is a small thing but probably reflects a larger approach which has been mentioned - he brings players together because he expects them to work hard but is desperate for them to succeed. In that debacle where we were thrashed by Wasps - his first captaincy - he probably learned a lot. It was too soon. But against Wasps at the end of this season just gone, his manner to his players and to the referee (crucially) was spot on. I am probably getting ahead of myself but I think (hope!) this is will be the best captaincy appointment since Corry's retirement, if not Johnno.

And in Hanro, another natural leader. Not particularly vocal but inspiring by actions. He will do a fair amount of legwork with Ellis on England duty - but he will hopefully be ever present, so a smart choice.

And of course props to Tom Youngs. I have always been unsure how comfortable he has been with the role on the pitch, but on the training pitch and off the field he has been unfailingly brilliant. A huge tip of the cap to him.
I’ve noticed that with England too how excited he gets when others score,especially the debutants this summer. He was made up! He’s a great character and I wouldnt be bet against him captaining England one day if he carries on on this trajectory
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:04 am
iceman_19 wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:11 pm One thing I've noticed about Ellis, particularly over the last season, is his genuine passion for the club and his teammates.

I’ve noticed that with England too how excited he gets when others score,especially the debutants this summer. He was made up! He’s a great character and I wouldnt be bet against him captaining England one day if he carries on on this trajectory
I think he will, I may be wrong but wasn't he VC in the summer internationals, and wasn't there a period when he was captain on the pitch for England?
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:43 am
Scott1 wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:04 am

I think he will, I may be wrong but wasn't he VC in the summer internationals, and wasn't there a period when he was captain on the pitch for England?
I think you are right,but at the moment he isn’t even first choice LH which is very wrong! Let’s see what happens in the AI. Even if he wasn’t one of ours I’d still say he’s our best LH. With Marler second,Mako wouldn’t even get in my England 23 at this stage.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

strawclearer wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:11 pm
sk 88 wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:51 pm

You're right - it was an astute observation about a player and a person he liked and rated very highly.
This suggests Ellis might agree with SC's assessment.....
https://www.leicestertigers.com/news/lt ... ellisgenge