Lionesses ?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Lionesses ?

Post by chewbacca »

I might disagree with Scott1 on the issue of women's sport but I really don't see why anyone should feel they need to justify a preference. He just don't like it. Its permitted.
I'm not cynical just experienced
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

See the mods have been at it again. It's like N Korea in here. Unless you're a big hitter...

TBF I don't particularly think Scott is being sexist, but just brushing a whole gender aside because you don't like a few bits is just rediculous. IMO.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Scott I was more curious as to your views on womens sport rather than trying to make any accusations of sexism so apologies if I implied that.

Personally I enjoy watching virtually any sport at most levels I am just as happy to go watch my club's 3rd XV and find that entertaining. So by that reckoning I also enjoy women's sport too as to me the standard is at an enjoyable level.

What I do agree with is the depth in women's sport can sometimes be awful which leads to horrible mismatches. If there is suitable investment hopefully in major sports at least there can be sufficient development to add to that depth mean that full time pros are not up against dinnerladies that's for sure.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:31 pm Scott I was more curious as to your views on womens sport rather than trying to make any accusations of sexism so apologies if I implied that.

Personally I enjoy watching virtually any sport at most levels I am just as happy to go watch my club's 3rd XV and find that entertaining. So by that reckoning I also enjoy women's sport too as to me the standard is at an enjoyable level.

What I do agree with is the depth in women's sport can sometimes be awful which leads to horrible mismatches. If there is suitable investment hopefully in major sports at least there can be sufficient development to add to that depth mean that full time pros are not up against dinnerladies that's for sure.
Sorry TFS,I didn't mean your good self. A lot of comments have been deleted by the mods but I was set upon by 2 posters over my comments. It was those who I was referring too.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Old Hob wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:47 am
BFG wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:10 am
Old Hob wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:02 pm Surely, BFG, your argument will become self-defeating? If the women's game becomes better financed, better publicised, has more prize money and sponsorship it will slide down the same slope as the men's game. Or a different slope. But it will be downhill whichever way
Not quite.
The top women already play a top standard, England versus the All Blacks is already top standard but beyond this level the platforms for the competitions to close in all round on that top standard is needed.
Womens sport should be on the telly more.
Given the rubbish that is often on at the weekend I never understand why women's sport isn't backed more and after all it is half the population.
My point was not about skill levels it was that injections of large amounts of money into sport change things - and usually not for the better
Is that not more about the attitudes of the people concerned?
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

BFG wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:11 pm
BFG wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:10 am

Not quite.
The top women already play a top standard, England versus the All Blacks is already top standard but beyond this level the platforms for the competitions to close in all round on that top standard is needed.
Womens sport should be on the telly more.
Given the rubbish that is often on at the weekend I never understand why women's sport isn't backed more and after all it is half the population.
My point was not about skill levels it was that injections of large amounts of money into sport change things - and usually not for the better
What makes you think the attitudes of those who are involved and will become involved upon the injection of large amounts of cash into the women's game will be any different to those involved in the men's game?
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Crofty wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:44 am
What makes you think the attitudes of those who are involved and will become involved upon the injection of large amounts of cash into the women's game will be any different to those involved in the men's game?
What sort of attitudes do you have in mind?
I was referring to cheats, so enforcing rules would be good.
The suggestion that womens sport should not receive investment because it could encourage cheating elements similar to those experienced in men's sport is a cop out.
Cheats usually exist when and where they are tolerated.
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

BFG wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:27 pm
Crofty wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:44 am

What sort of attitudes do you have in mind?
I was referring to cheats, so enforcing rules would be good.
The suggestion that womens sport should not receive investment because it could encourage cheating elements similar to those experienced in men's sport is a cop out.
Cheats usually exist when and where they are tolerated.
Not saying it shouldn't be funded just saying that it's likely that funding will send the ladies game the same way it did the gentlemen's so brace yourself for that disappointment.
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

On the subject of women's sport, on Sunday I and almost 4,500 others attended the Leicester City ladies match against Manchester United Ladies at the Kingpower Stadium. It was a good game played with skill and enthusiasm, both teams were well supported with a good atmosphere between the fans. Just one stand was used and on the whole it was well organised although I suspect City were a little surprised by the size of the crowd,
Whether ladies rugby will mirror the success of ladies football I don't know but I see no reason why not, it will not happen overnight but I hope that in four or five years time at most we will see similar size crowds at Welford Road to watch our ladies compete against other top teams.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....