Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Nottingham and Tigers announce an formal cooperation agreement

Post by RagingBull »

https://www.leicestertigers.com/news/pa ... ham-210818

Leicester Tigers are delighted to announce a formal co-operation agreement with Nottingham Rugby.

The agreement will see the Premiership Rugby and Championship clubs linked through a unique performance partnership which includes co-operation on coaching resources, education and programme alignment, training and playing opportunities for players, and pathway integration.

Speaking about the co-operation agreement, Leicester Tigers General Manager Leigh Jones said: “This is an exciting and unique partnership which will see a healthy sharing of knowledge and practices across the clubs, at all levels, to the mutual benefit of Tigers and Nottingham.

“The East Midlands has a proud rugby history and both Leicester Tigers and Nottingham have contributed heavily to it, which can now continue in a more formal, co-ordinated manner moving forward.

“We will be aligning the rugby programmes of Tigers and Nottingham on and off the field in various ways, including the dual-registration of several players to get valuable game-time in this season’s Championship.

“In addition, we’re going to welcome Craig Hammond into the Tigers environment weekly, working in Steve Borthwick’s coaching team and as a crucial link for the pathway programmes at both clubs.

“The agreement is the product of a lot of hard work during the summer months and we are pleased to be kicking it off now ahead of the new season.”

Nottingham Rugby Chief Operating Officer, Steve Smith added: “Nottingham Rugby are pleased to be able to formalise our relationship with Leicester Tigers and continue to support the development of young players coming through the performance pathway structure.

“The coaching team are really looking forward to working with the Tigers players on a regular basis and we look forward to many of these players progressing into the Tigers senior squad in years to come.”
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: Nottingham and Tigers announce an formal cooperation agreement

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

So expecting more dual registrations between the clubs, possibly even for some bigger names recovering from injury possibly.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Also combined training will allow for leaner squads, no longer will we need bigger squads to ensure we can have an effective opposition in training.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

No surprise with the connections between Jones & Hammond, nice to see some sort of comment from our GM as well.
Long term with smaller salary caps this has to make sense.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Wonder if this means a change in our relationship with Loughborough
Qbec
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Qbec »

I really hope it doesn't effect our relationship with Loughborough
Tigers The Home Of World Class Rugby

11th Premiership Rugby Champions 2022
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Not sure why it would really.
Loughborough at Nat 2 level is mainly used for players coming straight out of Academy 18-20 age group where they are not quite ready for Senior rugby but need game time, also it links in well with the studies side.

Nottingham is more likely going to be the players who are 20+ for game time, Nottingham academy will more likely see their academy get even more of a intake of the players who didn't quite make our academy. Nottingham also has a partnership with Nottingham trent so I guess gives players a choice now.
TheChild
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by TheChild »

As a Nottingham fan as well as a Tigers fan, I’m not sure about this.
This all sounds great in theory but I have no doubt in practice it will be rather more one-sided.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Define what one sided would be?
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

I think Nottingham benefit also.
Those players who maybe don’t quite the cut either to join the academy or on editing the academy will quite likely go to Nottingham on the assumption it keeps them on Tiger’s radar. As such, Nottingham should see themselves get a clear run at some serious talent.
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

TheChild wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:13 pm As a Nottingham fan as well as a Tigers fan, I’m not sure about this.
This all sounds great in theory but I have no doubt in practice it will be rather more one-sided.
Surely it's entirely mutual, Tigers get to give players worthwhile game time, Nottingham get better players to boost their squad with knowledge and experience. Always in the past there's been some sort of unofficial co-agreement with Nottingham and Bedford (before Saints recently created an official co-agreement). Can't see the one-sided view myself??
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

I can see why it would be one sided if done incorrectly.

We drop our players in and out of their side as it suits us, displacing their own players and harming their ability to form a settled team. Yet when we need players for an A game or a Prem Cup game we whistle and take who we fancy on short notice.

Any DR players need to go regularly to really see benefit for themselves and also need to go regularly to benefit Notts, so if done properly it IS beneficial for both sides, but it can be done improperly too.

Will just have to wait and see what actually happens in practice. Players we may want to send to them off the top of my head: Rowntree, Vanes, Manz, Ilione, Thom Smith, Edwards or Law, Browning. Reckon most others will either be in our regular matchday routine like Hurd or Ollie Chessum so not available most weeks, or on the younger side and we're looking lower down the pyramid for this season (Hoyt, Seb Smith, L.Chessum, Cusik would all be more suited to Nat 1 or 2 I think for this season).
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

DingDong wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:51 pm
TheChild wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:13 pm As a Nottingham fan as well as a Tigers fan, I’m not sure about this.
Surely it's entirely mutual, Tigers get to give players worthwhile game time, Nottingham get better players to boost their squad with knowledge and experience. Always in the past there's been some sort of unofficial co-agreement with Nottingham and Bedford (before Saints recently created an official co-agreement). Can't see the one-sided view myself??
I think there is the concern that we may end up poaching all their key players at key times.

That said a formalised relationship here works well, as it gives foresight to all parties who's entitled to who at what times, it probably ensures loans and dual registrations go in both directions. Yes Tigers as the bigger club may have a little more say in who plays where for a matchday, but there will be cutoff agreements and days when things are sorted by etc, plus training alongside a prem team is also going to help their players progress.

I think there will be two happy clubs on the basis of this.

It's Interesting that David Williams, started playing for both a bit not long after the joining of Leigh Jones to us, wonder if he was being used as a bit of a trial at all by both clubs.
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

[quote="sk 88" post_id=790677 time=1629298030 user_id=1793]
I can see why it would be one sided if done incorrectly.

We drop our players in and out of their side as it suits us, displacing their own players and harming their ability to form a settled team. Yet when we need players for an A game or a Prem Cup game we whistle and take who we fancy on short notice.

Any DR players need to go regularly to really see benefit for themselves and also need to go regularly to benefit Notts, so if done properly it IS beneficial for both sides, but it can be done improperly too.

Will just have to wait and see what actually happens in practice. Players we may want to send to them off the top of my head: Rowntree, Vanes, Manz, Ilione, Thom Smith, Edwards or Law, Browning. Reckon most others will either be in our regular matchday routine like Hurd or Ollie Chessum so not available most weeks, or on the younger side and we're looking lower down the pyramid for this season (Hoyt, Seb Smith, L.Chessum, Cusik would all be more suited to Nat 1 or 2 I think for this season).
[/quote]

It reads to me as if it will be much wider than the DR players. Seems that there will be some sort of training and performance assimilation, and a sharing of ideas between coaching staff. I would think having access to Aled's regime will be of particular benefit to the Notts squad.
Quite right though, it is what happens in practice that will be 'proof of the pudding'.
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

It depends on how much salary is covered by Tigers. I assume that Nottingham realise they have no realistic hope of promotion. Therefore, having Tigers pick up the salary of more of the "shared" squad should negate any impact of losing players at certain times.