Nottingham and Tigers announce an formal cooperation agreement

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Re: Nottingham and Tigers announce an formal cooperation agreement

Post by westwinds31 »

sk 88 wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:47 pm I can see why it would be one sided if done incorrectly.

We drop our players in and out of their side as it suits us, displacing their own players and harming their ability to form a settled team. Yet when we need players for an A game or a Prem Cup game we whistle and take who we fancy on short notice.

Any DR players need to go regularly to really see benefit for themselves and also need to go regularly to benefit Notts, so if done properly it IS beneficial for both sides, but it can be done improperly too.

Will just have to wait and see what actually happens in practice. Players we may want to send to them off the top of my head: Rowntree, Vanes, Manz, Ilione, Thom Smith, Edwards or Law, Browning. Reckon most others will either be in our regular matchday routine like Hurd or Ollie Chessum so not available most weeks, or on the younger side and we're looking lower down the pyramid for this season (Hoyt, Seb Smith, L.Chessum, Cusik would all be more suited to Nat 1 or 2 I think for this season).
Yes, this ^^^ if managed incorrectly. You'd like to think that both parties have signed up to an agreement where it most definitely is beneficial to both clubs. In terms of Tigers, some Academy/fringe players will get valuable game time and be involved in a Championship environment, which let's face it isn't exactly easy. Those that thrive will rise to the top and get noticed and return to Tigers to feature in later years or get picked up by other clubs. By the same token, Tigers also get to look at some of the Notts squad and maybe pick up a bargain or two, whether that be a trial/loan situation.

The down side is as stated above, Tigers players get game time, taking the place of Notts players who are looking to progress, but, again mentioned above, if needed for a Tigers A game, they can show what they've got in that environment.

I believe that the Notts squad is very small, so they will welcome reinforcements and with injuries, they'll need them !
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

With no "A" league and talks going on with Bill Beaumont with a view to doing away with subs, there could be a lot of players looking for a game.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Seems to be a no-brainer to me. Both clubs benefit. In North America for example, farm teams in lower leagues feed players to, and take players from, Major League Baseball teams. This isn't that, but it does make sense to grow similar relationships where possible.
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

tigerburnie wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:07 pm With no "A" league and talks going on with Bill Beaumont with a view to doing away with subs, there could be a lot of players looking for a game.
Thought the A league is back on this season.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Dokie wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:58 pm
tigerburnie wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:07 pm With no "A" league and talks going on with Bill Beaumont with a view to doing away with subs, there could be a lot of players looking for a game.
Nothing on the Tigers nor the Premiership rugby sites about any games, no cup either.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

tigerburnie wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:12 pm
Dokie wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:58 pm
Nothing on the Tigers nor the Premiership rugby sites about any games, no cup either.
Maybe because they don’t usually start until Oct/Nov?
TheChild
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by TheChild »

SK88 is spot on with what he says.

We have had issues with partner clubs (not so much Tigers, although it has happened, but I’m thinking more of that lot down the M69) deciding they want our first choice players when we desperately need them for big matches.

In return- well hmmm that’s mixed. That lot down the M69 sent Notts some decent players- Tom West, Will Stuart, Alfie Barbeary and Jacob Umaga have all turned out for Notts in recent years- but in return convinced themselves they could snatch Notts’ best players (including the captain who had just signed a new deal and the first choice tighthead prop) for themselves permanently when they felt like it. What worries me is Notts’ squad is thin enough- I’m not sure it could stand prolonged raids by Tigers when they felt like it.

If it’s going to be a true partnership Notts need some good quality players in return if that’s going
to be the case. It would be great to see the likes of Joe Browning back- he was excellent. Notts were also supposed to be getting other DR’s last season who either never materialized or were season long injured and then Tigers released them. I’ve seen what happens when things are not done correctly on many occasions and this is why I’m definitely unsure about it.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I mean all clubs lose their best players to the premiership though it has little to do with partnerships.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

There are a lot of former Tigers in the small Nottingham squad already as well.

Jake Farnworth
Aniseko Sio
Owen Hills
Ben Betts
Ronnie du Randt
Charlie Thacker
David Williams

Had this partnership deal happened a tiny bit sooner I wonder if Simmons (Jersey) and Aspland-Robinson (Coventry) might have ended up there instead?

In the future it could be a really good opportunity for someone such as Henri Lavin to fight his way back in after injuries during a key period in development. Owen Hills had a similarly torrid run that made him miss a lot of rugby at a key time.

Overall I see more positives than negatives.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Does anyone know where Jordan Coghlan has moved onto whilst on the subject of Nottingham and Tigers players?
TheChild
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by TheChild »

ABClub wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:36 am There are a lot of former Tigers in the small Nottingham squad already as well.

Jake Farnworth
Aniseko Sio
Owen Hills
Ben Betts
Ronnie du Randt
Charlie Thacker
David Williams

Had this partnership deal happened a tiny bit sooner I wonder if Simmons (Jersey) and Aspland-Robinson (Coventry) might have ended up there instead?

In the future it could be a really good opportunity for someone such as Henri Lavin to fight his way back in after injuries during a key period in development. Owen Hills had a similarly torrid run that made him miss a lot of rugby at a key time.

Ronnie Du Randt has never appeared for Nottingham; he was supposedly on a Dual Reg arrangement but he was one of the players I mentioned that Notts were supposed to have but never saw.

The partnership has always been there as such- I started supporting Nottingham when Tom Youngs was on loan there many moons ago and I went to watch him play- but lately there’s been other clubs where the players needing game time went (it was Bedford as well as Notts at one point but Bedford now have a partnership with Northampton) I think it’s probably more where the players that go out on loan are needed/likely to have more of an opportunity.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

TheChild wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:04 am
ABClub wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:36 am There are a lot of former Tigers in the small Nottingham squad already as well.

Jake Farnworth
Aniseko Sio
Owen Hills
Ben Betts
Ronnie du Randt
Charlie Thacker
David Williams

Ronnie Du Randt has never appeared for Nottingham; he was supposedly on a Dual Reg arrangement but he was one of the players I mentioned that Notts were supposed to have but never saw.

The partnership has always been there as such- I started supporting Nottingham when Tom Youngs was on loan there many moons ago and I went to watch him play- but lately there’s been other clubs where the players needing game time went (it was Bedford as well as Notts at one point but Bedford now have a partnership with Northampton) I think it’s probably more where the players that go out on loan are needed/likely to have more of an opportunity.
Du Rant isn't a Tigers player. He was released out of the academy. I think he was supposed to be part of the Trent Uni and Nottingham Rugby working agreement. With a bit of luck we might see some game time this season.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Yep Du Randt went from Tigers academy to England Sevens to Bury St Edmunds to Chester to Nottingham.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

I will be very interested to see exactly how this manifests itself in practical terms , but undoubtedly see in principle more benefit than detriment for both clubs , especially in these times.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
chipnchase
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chipnchase »

TheChild wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:13 pm As a Nottingham fan as well as a Tigers fan, I’m not sure about this.
This all sounds great in theory but I have no doubt in practice it will be rather more one-sided.
It used to work well 10 years ago. Hammo playing against South Africa with the likes of Sam Raven and Matt Parr covering LV cup games, in return two season of Tom Youngs, Billy Tweelvetress and amongst others coming the other way.