Nottingham and Tigers announce an formal cooperation agreement

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

chipnchase
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Nottingham and Tigers announce an formal cooperation agreement

Post by chipnchase »

Dont forget that Nottingham are also part time now so if they do decide to bring a smaller squad back together and utilise Tigers academy and dev squad it keeps their bottom line low. Seems win win to me.

Also plays into ring fencing :smt002
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

so for Nottingham pre season game v Coventry
Current Tigers
Lewis Chessum
Sam Edwards
Tim Hoyt
Are involved

Former Tigers
Ben Betts
Jake Farnworth
Henry Joule (Was in our U18's last season)
Charlie Thacker
David Williams
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

ABClub wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:37 am Does anyone know where Jordan Coghlan has moved onto whilst on the subject of Nottingham and Tigers players?
Believe he is back in Ireland working for himself building garden bars.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

sk 88 wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:15 pm
ABClub wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:37 am Does anyone know where Jordan Coghlan has moved onto whilst on the subject of Nottingham and Tigers players?
Believe he is back in Ireland working for himself building garden bars.
Cheers SK.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

I was at Coventry today. Great to be back watching rugby again and a reasonable crowd turned up. Notts struggled first half, too many errors, discipline poor (McNulty yellow) but some strange decisions by the officials as well....32-0 down at half time. Second half all change and much better, young Tigers involved, not much to report but good experience for them. Chessum looks like he could be useful, he’s a tall lad who is quite mobile.needs a couple of seasons in the gym I suspect and he’ll be a force. 60-10 in the end but typical pre season game, lots of changes, errors and cobwebs.
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

westwinds31 wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:11 pm I was at Coventry today. Great to be back watching rugby again and a reasonable crowd turned up. Notts struggled first half, too many errors, discipline poor (McNulty yellow) but some strange decisions by the officials as well....32-0 down at half time. Second half all change and much better, young Tigers involved, not much to report but good experience for them. Chessum looks like he could be useful, he’s a tall lad who is quite mobile.needs a couple of seasons in the gym I suspect and he’ll be a force. 60-10 in the end but typical pre season game, lots of changes, errors and cobwebs.
I was at Coventry too. Agree about Chessum. Hoyt is a big lad if we can develop him. Edwards looked decent behind a pack that was mostly second best. Williams, at 13, put in a string of good tackles. Sadly went off with a knee injury (didn’t look serious) after making a half break to create a try.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

I was at Notts v London Scottish today, good game and a nice try from Joe Browning, showing good pace down the left wing to dot down.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

So we've had a full season of this partnership and as I am in the process of rewatching all our games have just got to the PRC matches and thought I'd give my opinion on how this has worked.

Firstly I think it's been very successful. Gives us high quality training with the smaller squads which is vital post salary cap.

So the wins for us:

As said gives us plenty of players to train with post squad reductions even during internationals

When we had a significant numbers away they provided playing cover that meant we didn't have to flog our players into the ground.

Provided plenty of players gametime in the absence of an 'A' league, both in the forms of loans for the season and dual registrations

The wins for Nottingham:

They got to train against us and test themselves and set the standard to help them improve.

I suspect (but don't know) that the loanees helped provide them playing depth that they may not have been able to afford.

It's now publicly known that Nottingham train with us and even play for us when short, for players with asperations that has got to make Nottingham a more attractive club, given it gives them a platform to showcase their skills in front of the likes of Borthwick regularly.

Despite being the smaller club I don't think they've been taken advantage of, for example in the PRC vs Wasps we played Green and Wells in that game because Nottingham had a game that week and so even though some of our loanees came back to us for Wasps (eg Lancaster and Vanes) they had the likes of Hall and Poulett back for them.

I think it's shown to have been successful, not sure if those in the Nottingham camp agree, but I'm happy for it to continue for plenty of time to come.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

TFS, completely agree it’s been mutually beneficial. Vanes in particular grew throughout the season with a run of games and some Notts players went the other way and contributed to the Prem Cup effort. Next season will be interesting, Notts have announced several players already that the Head Coach has brought in from his previous role in Hong Kong, which should bolster the squad and allow more competition for places. I’m expecting to see more of Chessum the younger feature, amongst others. Should be good.