Match day Parking

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Noggs
Super User
Super User

Re: Match day Parking

Post by Noggs »

philw wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:15 pm The area behind the Crumbie is still a car park, open to the public daily apart from when Tigers have events on. The multi storey was I think, supposed to be a joint effort between Tigers and the hospital, so might depend on hospital finances due to Covid
Thanks for the update. You are correct in thinking it is a joint venture between Tigers and LHT. My understanding is that on match days Tigers were to have exclusive use whilst at other time Tigers had a relatively small number of spaces reserved for their use with the remainder used for hospital staff parking.

It would be good if the club gave us an update as I believe it was to have around 820 spaces which would be a useful addition on match days.
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

In past seasons I and about 50 other cars park in the bus lanes on either side of Saffron Lane and walk to the ground.
Could any Leicester based Tigers please confirm that both Saffron Lane bus lanes are still available to match day parking and they have not been converted to very wide cycle lanes etc..... or even yellow lined....
Many thanks, :smt023
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Sadly last time I went down Saffron Lane had cycle lanes in the road where we used to park.

This was ignoring the extra-wide footpath on either side which has included a cycle lane for many years.

Yes Saffron Lane can lay claim to having 2 sets of cycle lanes. Only in the former Soviet State of Sir Peter would having duplicate cycle lanes be seen as a good thing when neither carries enough cycle track to justify their existence.

I kid you not.
Chez
Tiger Cub

Post by Chez »

I rang Tigers weeks ago for a space at the college for the season and was told there'd be no problem, then when I chased it about a month ago I was told that there was a waiting list, as they would have to ring everyone that had a pass last year first. Still not heard anything...
Bit of a problem as I take my mum with me and she really can't walk very far (being 80 now), and she said she'd have to give up her season ticket if she had to walk any distance. Thinking maybe the LRI might be an option, anyone know if this would be an option now they've got the multi storey?
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

I blame Cockers for the decline in parking spaces, it started when the Granby halls site was sold to a Hotel chain and the University built accommodation up over the hill on Welford Road, why didn't he and the BOD see our problem :smt017 :smt013 :smt046
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Chez wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:17 pm I rang Tigers weeks ago for a space at the college for the season and was told there'd be no problem, then when I chased it about a month ago I was told that there was a waiting list, as they would have to ring everyone that had a pass last year first. Still not heard anything...
Bit of a problem as I take my mum with me and she really can't walk very far (being 80 now), and she said she'd have to give up her season ticket if she had to walk any distance. Thinking maybe the LRI might be an option, anyone know if this would be an option now they've got the multi storey?
Park and ride?
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Chez
Tiger Cub

Post by Chez »

I live in Rugby, my mum in Markfield, so park and ride isn't really an option, but thanks
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Chez wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:12 am I live in Rugby, my mum in Markfield, so park and ride isn't really an option, but thanks
Never mind. Went on the Enderby park and ride which is great for getting there, not so great queuing for ages by the bus stop alongside everyone else.

It might be worth the City and Tigers coming to an agreement with the Council and the Roberts bus company over extended hours/more buses etc on matchdays, if such an agreement is possible.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

JP14 wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:49 pm
Chez wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:12 am I live in Rugby, my mum in Markfield, so park and ride isn't really an option, but thanks
Never mind. Went on the Enderby park and ride which is great for getting there, not so great queuing for ages by the bus stop alongside everyone else.

It might be worth the City and Tigers coming to an agreement with the Council and the Roberts bus company over extended hours/more buses etc on matchdays, if such an agreement is possible.
On regular season match days there is a double decker that runs at 5pm and misses out St Nick's circle. Can be hard to catch if you are not at that end of the ground though
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

The problem with the park and ride is that it finishes too early for evening matches and Sundays.
CJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CJ »

Am I right that parking at Regent college (Wyggy girls to me!) is no longer operating?
AngusMcCoatup
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by AngusMcCoatup »

I like others was worried about parking in the bus lanes on Saffron Lane but I managed to get a space easily on the side - coming from Wigston where there were many cars already parked and a Police car behind did not seem to mind! But parking on the other side (i.e. Let's call it Tigers side where the new roadworks are ) was not used except for two cars by the bridge. But there are no signs to say "No Parking" beware if you park there on Thursday as you cannot park in the bus lanes before 18:00 hrs. on Monday to Friday. Let us hope common sense will prevail despite the road works higher up.. :smt023
To the world you may be just one person.
But to that one person you may be the world!
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

CJ wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:32 pm Am I right that parking at Regent college (Wyggy girls to me!) is no longer operating?
Yes you are correct in your assumption
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

mol2 wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:23 am Sadly last time I went down Saffron Lane had cycle lanes in the road where we used to park.

This was ignoring the extra-wide footpath on either side which has included a cycle lane for many years.

Yes Saffron Lane can lay claim to having 2 sets of cycle lanes. Only in the former Soviet State of Sir Peter would having duplicate cycle lanes be seen as a good thing when neither carries enough cycle track to justify their existence.

I kid you not.
As someone who either walks or cycles to WR, the implication that car drivers get a rough deal is frankly ridiculous. Have you tried cycling on Welford Road? Would you feel safer cycling with kids to WR than driving there? Until you can honestly answer yes to both questions your complaint fails to convince.

To answer the question raised in the post, Clarendon Park has plenty of free parking and it’s 10-15 mins walk to the ground.
Chez
Tiger Cub

Post by Chez »

Not everyone has the option to cycle, and not everyone can walk that far