Expectations - 2021/2022

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Expectations - 2021/2022

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

It’s a tough one, we’ve the best squad on paper in over ten years, quality in every position and strength in depth. But also need to manage expectations and realise we’ve had a good squad more recently and still not done very well. The league is also looking tougher than it ever has before.

Hopefully a full pre-season means we’ll kick the season off strongly. Agreed top 6 should be minimum target. Ideally would want us to target top 4 - think we’ve the players to do it and ability. But said that in the past and not even got close.
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

ourla wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:43 am
CrumblingTerrace wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:50 am Once the Lions/SA players are all back I find it hard to see past Exeter, Bristol, Sale and Sarries.
So, you are writing off last years winners Harlequins?
For the title, yes. It's strange to discount champions so easily but they were such an outside bet last year, it'd be even more impressive if they could back it up.
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

CrumblingTerrace wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:58 pm
ourla wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:43 am
CrumblingTerrace wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:50 am Once the Lions/SA players are all back I find it hard to see past Exeter, Bristol, Sale and Sarries.
So, you are writing off last years winners Harlequins?
For the title, yes. It's strange to discount champions so easily but they were such an outside bet last year, it'd be even more impressive if they could back it up.
Not a gambler but it looks like bookies have Quins at around 5th most likely to win and are offering 14/1.
They also have us (along with Wasps, Saints and Bath) below that and are offering 20 or 25 /1 to win championship.

For top four they are offering us at 5/1 which I suspect is worth a punt, for those who have this vice.
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bunchy »

do we all think Sarries will make it to the top 4?

I think they may do season after next, but think it will be tough to be without their big names for so long (I hope)
Less is more....
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Bunchy wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:21 pm do we all think Sarries will make it to the top 4?

I think they may do season after next, but think it will be tough to be without their big names for so long (I hope)
Yes,they are that well coached. Billy V will want to prove a point too and theres players from other teams coming back off loan. If they can stay in the mix until late theres even a title chance for them. They only have to stay in top 4 contention and are more than capable of winning it from 4th too.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bunchy »

fear you are right, hope you are wrong !!
Less is more....
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

It's the Millwall effect - nobody likes us, we don't care. I would imagine that they will get some stick from the crowds up and down the country, which they'll thrive on I suspect. It's a good thing to embrace and will give them something additional to fight for. As has been said, some of those players are coming back better, especially Malins and Earl, having experienced a different environment. I think they'll be challenging for top spot.
TiltonTiger

Post by TiltonTiger »

A decent run in Europe would be a bonus after last year’s outings
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Cannot see Sarries not finishing outside the top 4 along with Bristol and Exeter with all 3 teams desperate to prove points after last season.
Sale and us will be hard hit by the situation with New Zealand postponing games so Argentinians and South Africans not back until maybe late October: even November if they are rested.
For us there are 3 very tricky opening fixtures: win 2 out of those 3 and it will give a huge confidence boost.
Any team fielding a full strength squad could beat any team outside Exeter, Sarries and Bristol.
Quins, as I’ve mentioned before will be an interesting watch: last season they had the least injuries and call ups out of the teams in the top 6: Wasps had awful injuries throughout so they should do well again.
Then there’s the new rules. I don’t really see how they will make the game safer and
at the moment I feel they seem to encourage more kicking!
Finally, discipline: it cost us a few points last season so Tigers’ squad has to give
far few penalties and far less red cards.
I think Tigers will aim to get top two but more realistically top 4 if we stay relatively injury and red card free!!!