RUGBY CHAMPIONSHIP 2021

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: RUGBY CHAMPIONSHIP 2021

Post by GB72 »

Guessing delay is not an option. Looking at the wording on the BBC website, the matches have been cancelled and not postponed so not going ahead at all. Can also see that they have cancelled fixtures through to October which would suggest everything up to the Autumn Internationals. That would suggest that any sort of play off later in the year is out as well. Seems like the only options are to play some meaningless matches between the other 3 Nations (assuming they are willing to let the teams in etc) or call it off.

With the report suggesting all NZ internation rugby is off until at least OCtober, I can easily see them cancelling the Autumn Internationals as well.
tjs10inOz

Post by tjs10inOz »

GB72 wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:07 pm Guessing delay is not an option. Looking at the wording on the BBC website, the matches have been cancelled and not postponed so not going ahead at all. Can also see that they have cancelled fixtures through to October which would suggest everything up to the Autumn Internationals. That would suggest that any sort of play off later in the year is out as well. Seems like the only options are to play some meaningless matches between the other 3 Nations (assuming they are willing to let the teams in etc) or call it off.

With the report suggesting all NZ internation rugby is off until at least OCtober, I can easily see them cancelling the Autumn Internationals as well.
NZ have only cancelled them being played in NZ, ie they have cancelled the tickets and the stadium hire. They are still working through options for playing them somewhere else outside of NZ.

Until NZRUs announcement earlier today, Rublgby Australia was in discussions around hosting all of the remaining games in Queensland, but NZRU refused to wait another 3 hours for a resolution and made the media announcement before telling SANZAAR and RA. They found out via news outlets!

I expect the games will take place somewhere in Sept/Oct, most likely Europe, but that is still being worked out.
Formerly tjs10 but forgot my login info!
Now living in Western Australia and working in Hockey but still watching rugby whenever i can!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Wasn't there a piece that said they might be played over here?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Any competition postponement that delays players returning to their European clubs is unlikely to be received well by those clubs. We could get our 4 players back who knows when, unless they are contracted to return by a certain date.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

tjs10inOz wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:45 pm
GB72 wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:07 pm Guessing delay is not an option. Looking at the wording on the BBC website, the matches have been cancelled and not postponed so not going ahead at all. Can also see that they have cancelled fixtures through to October which would suggest everything up to the Autumn Internationals. That would suggest that any sort of play off later in the year is out as well. Seems like the only options are to play some meaningless matches between the other 3 Nations (assuming they are willing to let the teams in etc) or call it off.

NZ have only cancelled them being played in NZ, ie they have cancelled the tickets and the stadium hire. They are still working through options for playing them somewhere else outside of NZ.

Until NZRUs announcement earlier today, Rublgby Australia was in discussions around hosting all of the remaining games in Queensland, but NZRU refused to wait another 3 hours for a resolution and made the media announcement before telling SANZAAR and RA. They found out via news outlets!

I expect the games will take place somewhere in Sept/Oct, most likely Europe, but that is still being worked out.
The New Zealand government have locked down the country, so unless the All Blacks dug a tunnel to Australia, they were not going to be leaving the country.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
tjs10inOz

Post by tjs10inOz »

tigerburnie wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:54 pm The New Zealand government have locked down the country, so unless the All Blacks dug a tunnel to Australia, they were not going to be leaving the country.
Not true.

They are allowed to leave, and allowed to return. They just have to undertake hotel quarantine on arrival in Australia (normally 14 days but reduced to 7 days for the All Blacks) and 14 days hotel quarantine upon return to NZ.
Now living in Western Australia and working in Hockey but still watching rugby whenever i can!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

tjs10inOz wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:45 pm

Poor from NZRU really, right old hissy fit.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

A few more details, so it looks like NZ are keen to play and it seems that the Aussies have over reacted.....................possibly
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/cricket ... d=msedgntp
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
tjs10inOz

Post by tjs10inOz »

tigerburnie wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:03 am A few more details, so it looks like NZ are keen to play and it seems that the Aussies have over reacted.....................possibly
Not sure they over-reacted?

NZ refused to travel to the game that had already been rescheduled by mutual agreement, and are instead suggesting that they might be willing to play the game in a neutral country, over a month later than scheduled, away from the one australian ground where they have a 100% loss record in recent years, and instead at a venue where they can benefit commercially...largely driven by the fact that they can't play their centenary game against SA in their own country so want an excuse to take it somewhere where they can generate more revenue, throwing the whole tournament into chaos as a result.

No, I don't think RA over-reacted to finding out their opposition refused to get on a plane via the media, literally minutes after a phone call between the parties ended on positive terms.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

tjs10inOz wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:43 pm
tigerburnie wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:03 am A few more details, so it looks like NZ are keen to play and it seems that the Aussies have over reacted.....................possibly

NZ refused to travel to the game that had already been rescheduled by mutual agreement, and are instead suggesting that they might be willing to play the game in a neutral country, over a month later than scheduled, away from the one australian ground where they have a 100% loss record in recent years, and instead at a venue where they can benefit commercially...largely driven by the fact that they can't play their centenary game against SA in their own country so want an excuse to take it somewhere where they can generate more revenue, throwing the whole tournament into chaos as a result.

No, I don't think RA over-reacted to finding out their opposition refused to get on a plane via the media, literally minutes after a phone call between the parties ended on positive terms.
Yeah refunding 60,000 tickets after a year of Covid hit turnover is not going to go down well and rightly so. Especially after travelling for the games in NZ so they could make their money.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Not defending or criticising anyone here, just adding information I am finding whilst reading up on the story, latest reply here,
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/rugbyle ... d=msedgntp
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

In all honesty, they won’t lose to this Aussie team.
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

What a dreadful advert for international rugby. Argentina seemingly targeting the world record for penalties conceded. Any ideas on what Erasmus sees in Le Roux?
tjs10inOz

Post by tjs10inOz »

Dokie wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:59 pm

In all honesty, they won’t lose to this Aussie team.
I agree, but then I would have said the same back in 2019 before Bledisloe game 1.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Australia lack the defence or the team cohesion to be able to stand up to their Tasmanian rivals for more than 50 minutes currently. Do hope this changes quickly though, Rennie is a good coach and for all the good tries it’s boring to see the All Blacks just win the Bledisloe all the time.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni