Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Walking back from the abyss

Post by jgriffin »

https://tinyl.io/4XyW

Kitson in the Guardian saying what many of us feel, that a boil that needs lancing has come to a head in the execrable Lions series in SA.
Something has to be done now to bring the visible face of rugby in line with rugby as most of us experience it, no slo-mo, shut your chops except for the captain, no feigning injury, no onfield coaching, just get on with a great game that has been slowly polluted since professionalisation.
I will be glad to see the back of both Gatland (a serial offender throughout his career) and Erasmus (bringing the game into disrepute IMO) and hope that the scenes with Lam are not recurring this next season.
Get the house in order!
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: Walking back from the abyss

Post by Scott1 »

Should've made an example with Lam tbf. On a smaller scale but still
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

jgriffin wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:58 am https://tinyl.io/4XyW

Kitson in the Guardian saying what many of us feel, that a boil that needs lancing has come to a head in the execrable Lions series in SA.
Something has to be done now to bring the visible face of rugby in line with rugby as most of us experience it, no slo-mo, shut your chops except for the captain, no feigning injury, no onfield coaching, just get on with a great game that has been slowly polluted since professionalisation.
I will be glad to see the back of both Gatland (a serial offender throughout his career) and Erasmus (bringing the game into disrepute IMO) and hope that the scenes with Lam are not recurring this next season.
Get the house in order!
One can but dream.
I'm not cynical just experienced
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I thought they were unduly lenient on Lam. Not quite bloodgate but not far off in its own way.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

mol2 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:49 pm I thought they were unduly lenient on Lam. Not quite bloodgate but not far off in its own way.
I thought so too Mol.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
thebearisstilldeano
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by thebearisstilldeano »

Thanks for posting this. It's not often I find !myself agreeing with a journalist but this is spot on. Insightful, measured and practical.

Recommended reading 100%
I used to sit near a stalker and we want him back "kick for the corner!!!!"
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

I fear it's already too late, nothing like the game I played and no it isn't a better game to watch, in my opinion the pro game is alright, but ain't rugby union. The national leagues are the place to go and watch something closer to real rugby.
Bloodgate and pizzagate and Wasps and the uncontested scrums. Money really does seem to have overtaken as the motivation for some in the game, on and off the field of play.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

But there is hope in the way Quins play.
Brain over brawn and putting smiles on kids’ faces.
Hope Tigers have lots of both next season.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Get the house in order!
Forgive my ignorance, and I’m not his biggest fan by any means, but what do you mean by Gatland being a “serial offender”? I know there was the questioning of the TMO appointment but not exactly sure what else? I have a feeling this is from his Wasps’ days, which were (to use the forbidden ‘Pointless’ phrase) before my time…
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

JP14 wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:45 am

Get the house in order!
Forgive my ignorance, and I’m not his biggest fan by any means, but what do you mean by Gatland being a “serial offender”? I know there was the questioning of the TMO appointment but not exactly sure what else? I have a feeling this is from his Wasps’ days, which were (to use the forbidden ‘Pointless’ phrase) before my time…
Often fed the journos with headline grabbing, contentious statements before a game in his Wales days - for example raising questions about Sinckler was it? and another (Hartley?).
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Yep, Wasps tactics, close to cheating. Personal attacks on players when with Wales.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
nasher

Post by nasher »

It called “trying to influence officials” before the game. The constant chase for money brings the game in to disrepute let alone gobby management. Lam was completely let off for an outrage, Erasmus will probably get a medal.