Youngsters v Seniors Which is the strongest team?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

AngusMcCoatup
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Youngsters v Seniors Which is the strongest team?

Post by AngusMcCoatup »

So, we have just about finalised the 2021 / 22 team and just looking at the squads it appears there is an "under 25 ish! team" and then a "Senior team". Yes I know it is the banter time of the year but I wondered who would be the winners if the two teams met (hopefully with no injuries) I know some will be out of position or creeping over the age divide but here is a challenge.

Under 25 ish!
15, Steward, 14, Porter, 13, Worth, 12, Dan Kelly, 11, Potter: 10, Dan Lancaster, 9, JVP.
1, Whitcombe, 2, Nic Dolly, 3, Heyes, 4, Ollie Chessum, 5, Henderson, 6, Marco Van Staden, 7, Tommy Reffell, 8, Jasper Wiese.
16, Archie Vanes, 17, Dan Richardson, 18, Will Hurd, 19 Tom Smith, 20, George Martin, 21, Olowofela, 22, Jonny Law / Simmons, 23, Emeka Ilione.

The Seniors!! :smt002
15, Freddie Burns, 14, Murimurivalu, 13, Scott, 12, Moroni, 11, Nemani, 10, Ford, 9, Ben Youngs.
1, Gengie, 2, Tom Youngs / Montoya, 3, Coley, 4, Eli Snyman, 5, Callum Green, 6, Harry Wells,7, Brink, 8, Hanro Liebenberg.
16, Clare / Montoya, 17 Leatigaga, 18, Francois Van Wyke, 19, Marco Van Staden, 20, ? Hegarty, 21, Wigglesworth, 22, Hosea Samaki / Taute, 23 Pablo Socini / Kobus Van Wyk.

Yes and before anyone else says it ! Yes we have more Vans than Avis!

Yes there are several shuffles in the team but what a great squad and a great future if we can retain the under 25's.
Enjoy the banter, :smt039 Angus.
To the world you may be just one person.
But to that one person you may be the world!
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Re: Youngsters v Seniors Which is the strongest team?

Post by tigerburnie »

Ellis Genge is 26 are you going to tell him he didn't make the young 'uns team, 'cos I'm not lol.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Interesting thought experiment. I tend to side with the American humourist P J O'Rourke who said "Age and guile beat youth and a bad haircut".
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

What did they say about Man U, “You don’t win anything with kids?”

Your best players are your best players regardless of age. If you have 2 with nothing to merit one over the other, pick the younger - they will improve with experience, the older has likely already had that opportunity.

Some players will peak at different ages, so the skill of a coach is deciding who is yet to peak. Some will shine brightly as a youngster but not get better. Others will mature later. Some might be great for a long spell, others dazzle briefly.

If Genge was 25 and not 26 you might be surprised that the younger pack was the stronger and the reverse for the backs.

Sport has to be the ultimate meritocracy and if you make selections on sentiment then you are compromising your team.