Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: 100

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

mol2 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:24 pm I just don’t get it. 2020 with 3 overs less?

I fear it will just mean money for the circuit of stars who play IPL, Big Bash and some of the other leagues on the circuit.

Re-inventing the wheel...but with further separation from the county sides fans support.
Not quite it's split into 5 ball overs, though it's 10 balls between change of ends, though you're allowed to bowl 10 balls in a row. So it is meant to feel a bit different.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Unless tomorrow nights men's game brings in a few more then the game is dead, its carp, bar sales almost nil, reduced seat income due to more child places, cant see how it can pay its way, Men are being paid huge sums. I will give it 1 more chance, tonight's game did nothing for me even though it was a win with a couple of balls to spare.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

LE18 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:50 pm How are team members selected, do we have any Leicestershire players selected?
Colin Ackerman is in the Manchester squad I believe
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

mol2 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:24 pm I just don’t get it. 2020 with 3 overs less?

I fear it will just mean money for the circuit of stars who play IPL, Big Bash and some of the other leagues on the circuit.

Re-inventing the wheel...but with further separation from the county sides fans support.
It's not just that - it's the separation from grass roots cricket. Local leagues have adopted T20 as a secondary competition rather than primary and there's zero chance of the big power house areas (Yorkshire, Lancashire, Surrey etc) adopting 100 ball cricket as the norm over 40-50 over cricket.

Utter waste of money IMHO.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

The short version of the game lasts just over 3 hours and is full of big hits. This is more entertaining for families with kids and is a great way of introducing people to the game.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Tigerbeat wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:16 pm The short version of the game lasts just over 3 hours and is full of big hits. This is more entertaining for families with kids and is a great way of introducing people to the game.
What's wrong with 20/20? This is just a great big gimmick.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:13 pm

It's not just that - it's the separation from grass roots cricket. Local leagues have adopted T20 as a secondary competition rather than primary and there's zero chance of the big power house areas (Yorkshire, Lancashire, Surrey etc) adopting 100 ball cricket as the norm over 40-50 over cricket.

20 over a side games were always our evening format in our leagues, reducing to 18, then 16 etc as nights drew in.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

LE18 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:29 pm
longlivethecrumbie wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:13 pm

20 over a side games were always our evening format in our leagues, reducing to 18, then 16 etc as nights drew in.
Ditto. Or 16 x 8 ball overs in the Thursday night league. Bowling wides in 8 ball over cricket was brutal!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

LE18 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:24 pm
Scott1 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:44 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:38 pm One of mates who I play cricket with actually works for the ECB and the Hundred is the project he works on, given he spent last year on furlough I'm just glad they haven't canned the whole thing as he may well have been redundant otherwise.

A lot of the negatives when England launched T20 are now being lobbed the way of the 💯 so I'm willing to give it a chance.

It will be interesting to see how it develops, T20 could have faded away into obscurity if it hadn't been for the "rebel" ICL, as the BCCI wasn't much interested in it till it got angry with the ICL so decided to create the IPL to basically drive the ICL out of buisness.
What is 100 mate? I love 20/20 cracking day out at Edgbaston
If you enjoyed going to the T20 you must have had a drink or possibly 2 and possibly a sing along? Cricket authorities associate that behaviour with drunkenness and are trying to find a new format that appeals to young families, not folk who like to have a few to drink and break out into songs, such as Sweet Caroline, that's too raucous for them so they are imposing their own tastes on what you can sing.
Give me Bumble any day, he can turn test match commentary into really entertaining days, he also likes Sweet Caroline. :smt038
I love me some bumble,I like Geoffrey Boycott too. I find it hilarious when Botham snaps at Gower too when he winds him up! I would have to say for me cricket commentators are probably the best of any sport,I thoroughly enjoy listening to them!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Revenue from a new generation , cricket to a new audience.Lots of youngsters and families around on Wed evening , and Thursday is by all accounts a sellout.
Hey , if it works, if it brings people to the game to watch other more traditional forms of the sport then best of luck to it.....
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Isn't really different enough from 20 20.
20 five ball overs instead of 6 ball overs doesn't make for a meaningful difference and I fear will not be able to command a new audience.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

I will happily watch a 5 day test match played out to a draw, I also like both forms of limited overs cricket.

I watched some of the game last night and thought it was great. The crowd was probably the biggest I've seen for a womens match, which has to be a good thing.

No idea if it'll be a long term thing as the differences with T20 are not that great and the boozyness will just creep in if people like it. But if it brings cricket to a new audience, and it stays on terrestrial TV then that sounds good to me.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Scott1 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:13 pm Can't stand Sweet Caroline ,reminds me of Eddie Hearn!
Songs ruined by sporting crowds:

Sweet Caroline - Neil Diamond
We Will Rock You - Queen
We are the Champions - Queen
Seven Nation Army - White Stripes
Mr Brightside - Killers
Hey Jude - Beatles

....there are probably others...
bendy

Post by bendy »

westwinds31 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:07 am
Scott1 wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:13 pm Can't stand Sweet Caroline ,reminds me of Eddie Hearn!

We Will Rock You - Queen
Mr Brightside - Killers
Hey Jude - Beatles

Sloop John B beyond a shadow of a doubt!
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

westwinds31 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:07 am

We Will Rock You - Queen
Mr Brightside - Killers
Hey Jude - Beatles

I'm old, I love singing them, why do crowds, even at rugby, sing those songs,? Because they are very very good and folks remember them and it makes them happy! :smt035 :smt038