Cockers on the move!!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Re: Cockers on the move!!

Post by jgriffin »

Raging Bull, you'll never get the anti Cockers lot - who remained silent on MOC in the main - to do anything but attribute global warming and Amazon deforestation, let alone COVID, to him. As I wrote, he is an agent for change. So is SB, and it will be worth waiting a couple of years to see what they're saying about him.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

He did a decent job with Edinburgh but there is only so much that can be done with limited resources.

Did he jump having been told there was no money for new players, has he had a better offer or some other reason at this point in the off season?
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Eddie Jones has been having discussions with him about the possibility of taking a coaching role with England.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

mol2 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:48 pm He did a decent job with Edinburgh but there is only so much that can be done with limited resources.

Did he jump having been told there was no money for new players, has he had a better offer or some other reason at this point in the off season?
Reduced resources, given a hard time over a season where he missed key players for long periods and Jim Mallinder taking up a role with the SRU probably all played a part. If Edinburgh wanted to reduce costs then agreeing for Cockers to leave early and promoting from within achieves that as well.

He'd be good for England, if he has a short term skills role to work with the forwards on increasing their intensity and lineout defence that would make sense. Unsure how effective he'd be as a defence coach, might work in the short term with him working off what Mitchell has left in place.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

The International stage is the only place now that I could imagine him taking a subordinate coaching role.The move could very well be a good short term (in relative terms) fit for all parties.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

kk20gb30 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:00 am The International stage is the only place now that I could imagine him taking a subordinate coaching role.The move could very well be a good short term (in relative terms) fit for all parties.
It does seem that not many of EJs coaches stay around for long anyway.
physiodan
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by physiodan »

I would love to see cockers in contention for the next Lions Tour. At the moment he has no international experience but he is very good at getting the best out of people in a short space of time.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

I think that you are being very incongruous referring to the “anti-cockers lot”. Cockers was not the messiah or the devil incarnate but somewhere in between . He did a lot of things right but also made numerous mistakes including ignoring the academy players and persisting with his favourites. Let’s move on and look forward to success under Borthwick.
A2O
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

ay2oh wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:58 pm I think that you are being very incongruous referring to the “anti-cockers lot”. Cockers was not the messiah or the devil incarnate but somewhere in between . He did a lot of things right but also made numerous mistakes including ignoring the academy players and persisting with his favourites. Let’s move on and look forward to success under Borthwick.
Definitely closer to the devil than the messiah
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I do think it took cockers leaving for us to really appreciate how important good forward play is.
I think the supporters and the board took for granted how much coaching went into creating a forward pack like we had and it wasn't merely just players.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Apparently Richard C to England is virtually a done deal and soon to be announced :

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby ... -team.html
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:53 am I do think it took cockers leaving for us to really appreciate how important good forward play is.
I think the supporters and the board took for granted how much coaching went into creating a forward pack like we had and it wasn't merely just players.
Yep, I think they realised too late they had an exceptional coach they'd promoted in to a position to high. Someone who coaches to win the next game in the way Cockers does under a man of vision like Eddie is exactly the type of set up you want and where Cockers should be able to flourish. He's an exceptional coach, I just think as a DOR that just wasn't the right job for him.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Good for him! As for me he is a Tiger's legend, both as a player and manager. :smt023
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:53 am I do think it took cockers leaving for us to really appreciate how important good forward play is.
He took a Leicester team to Bath and got pumped 45-0.
Just over a year later in January 2016 Leicester got pumped at the scrum and lost 26-6 conceding a hat-trick of penalty tries at Sarries.
A year after that and with the great P. Cilliers now amongst it Leicester got pumped 0-43 by Glasgow at Welford Road.
Cockers was not taken for granted.