George Ford

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TiltonTiger

George Ford

Post by TiltonTiger »

Does anybody think that George will ever wear a white jersey again?

I certainly can’t see him starting again given Marcus Smith’s form*.

TBH though seeing George start 24 PL games next year* would be marvellous.

*Let’s not fret about injuries.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: George Ford

Post by Scott1 »

TiltonTiger wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:40 pm Does anybody think that George will ever wear a white jersey again?

The question should be being asked about Farrell tbf!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:46 pm
TiltonTiger wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:40 pm Does anybody think that George will ever wear a white jersey again?

The question should be being asked about Farrell tbf!
Three times this year we've agreed on something!
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

To be fair, he's generally had Farrell at inside centre which isn't exactly conducive to open running play.
Semper in excretia
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Farrell’s not exactly answering his critics on the Lions tour either by all accounts,
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

The frustrating thing for me would be if Smith gets his opportunity in the Autumn without Farrell, why wouldn’t Ford get said opportunity either? A waste unfortunately.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

JP14 wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:53 pm Farrell’s not exactly answering his critics on the Lions tour either by all accounts,
Smith had a very good game today, Jones likes Farrell so Ford could be on the decline and with his father gone, not too sure what future holds for him, he no longer seems to attack the line and his first instinct seems to be kick it.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

LE18 wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:57 pm
JP14 wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:53 pm Farrell’s not exactly answering his critics on the Lions tour either by all accounts,
Smith had a very good game today, Jones likes Farrell so Ford could be on the decline and with his father gone, not too sure what future holds for him, he no longer seems to attack the line and his first instinct seems to be kick it.
Hard to gauge against The Stormers,Ford is proven against the world's best. Let's see how Smith performs in a test, if he's picked
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

The obituary is being written pretty prematurely for me!
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:01 pm The obituary is being written pretty prematurely for me!
Its not quite that bad, but just being forward thinking.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Personally I think EJ rates Farrell and Ford. Traditionally you normally have 3 Fly halves in your squad. EJ has picked 2 repeatedly for a number of years, but that was primarily due to who he wanted. I actually think he'll now want 3 Fly halves in the squad so I do think that Ford at least will be with the squad if not in a white shirt in the games. I even wouldn't be surprised with a 5-3 bench split for Smith/Ford to be on the bench with the other starting at 10 plus Farrell starting at 12.
Last edited by TigerFeetSteve on Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Smith is an amazing talent no doubt, I still think there is room for Ford, he's proven and is at the peak of his powers whereas Smith may still need some managing, especially at international level. I'd be highly surprised if Eddie drops the likes of Youngs, Ford and Farrell now being as they're all part of the leadership group and have been integral for the last few years
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:10 pm Personally I think EJ rates Farrell and Ford. Traditionally you normally have 3 Fly halves in your squad. EJ has picked 2 repeatedly for a number of years, but that was primarily due to who he wanted. I actually think he'll now want 3 Fly halves in the squad so I do think that Ford at least will be with the squad if not in a white shirt in the games. I even wouldn't be surprised with a 6-3 bench split for Smith/Ford to be on the bench with the other starting at 10 plus Farrell starting at 12.
Could be right but that's overkill for me and doesn't fit in with Eddie's methods. He likes the 6/2 split and iirc even if uses a 5/3 split I don't recall him ever having an out and out 10 on the bench. Especially if he continues to use Slade in his 23s.
It's risky if Farrell gets injured early. You could put Slade at 12,Daly to 13 but then one of Ford or Smith has to play in the back 3. Just doesn't look right to me but we shall see come the AI.
Last edited by Scott1 on Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:15 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:10 pm Personally I think EJ rates Farrell and Ford. Traditionally you normally have 3 Fly halves in your squad. EJ has picked 2 repeatedly for a number of years, but that was primarily due to who he wanted. I actually think he'll now want 3 Fly halves in the squad so I do think that Ford at least will be with the squad if not in a white shirt in the games. I even wouldn't be surprised with a 6-3 bench split for Smith/Ford to be on the bench with the other starting at 10 plus Farrell starting at 12.
Could be right but that's overkill for me and doesn't fit in with Eddie's methods. He likes the 6/2 split and iirc even if uses a 5/3 split I don't recall him ever having an out and out 10 on the bench. Especially if he continues to use Slade in his 23s.
True it could be overkill, but he's shown he likes to have the players he wants in the team, sometimes shoehorned into position a bit (eg when he put Curry at 8). So I strongly suspect all 3 will be in the next squad and Eddie will decide who and what he wants.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:22 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:15 pm
True it could be overkill, but he's shown he likes to have the players he wants in the team, sometimes shoehorned into position a bit (eg when he put Curry at 8). So I strongly suspect all 3 will be in the next squad and Eddie will decide who and what he wants.
That has actually proved to be a masterstroke with Curry,it improved his carrying and attacking threat no end. Do you think there's a chance Farrell is rested for the AI and he just goes Smith and Ford?