George Ford

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: George Ford

Post by Ian Cant »

George Ford showed everyone what a World Class player he is throughout the season we just beat relegation. I’d want Smith to learn from George and George to get the joy Smith shows back into his game.
Having watched George home and away for Tigers in his early days he was, just like Smith, a fantastic, attack minded fly half. Simmons too continues to impress.
I look forward to watching all 3 players over the next 2-3 seasons.
All the best to both players.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

George still knows how to play the attacking game.

Just plays for two coaches that don’t prioritize it
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Offside »

Smith did well today but Stormers did not put him under much pressure, now did Canada. He is very good and probably a better tackled than Ford but has not yet really been stressed with some time for coaches to analyse his game and counted it. I think Farrell is the main issue in moving England forward rather than Ford.
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

I think Farrell has been awful on the Lions tour so far, offers very little defensively or offensively, if WG picks him for the tests which I hope he doesn’t the SA runners will target him, as for Ford he is a gifted fly half, not in the elite level of Jonny Wilkinson but a very good international, will he be remembered as one of the greats no, does he have an international future, absolutely, Smith has lots of potential and could be spectacular, EJ just has this thing for Farrell and that will scupper the prospects for players like Ford and Smith, let’s hope he fancies a stint in league or the NFL! He can usually nail his kicks but as for the rest :smt017
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Ford and Smith are both class on their day and bring something different to the 10 shirt. No doubt they’ll be battling it out for the fly half shirt. Yes Smith played well today and showed up in defence, but Ford schooled him at Welford Rd.

Farrell too knows how to play rugby. He’s off form at the moment, but I’m sure being back in the premiership should help. Given England lack any world class 12s, I’m sure we’ll see Farrell there next World Cup.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

In my opinion,for what it is worth ,Leicester have a world class player in George Ford.In terms of mastery of his craft and all round game coupled with ability he is in the top 3 or 4 players in World Rugby in his position.It pains me to say it (mainly because of the noise that comes out of him) that only Dan Biggar stands along side him/anywhere close in the home countries.
For those not old enough or with short memories there are many comparisons between Ford of yesteryear (or when he first came to light) and Marcus Smith now.In 2011 George ford was voted World Young Player Of The Year and looked as does Marcus Smith now to be able to carry all before him.There is however always a 'but'.... International Coaches want to win with out risks or win by not losing.Flair plays second fiddle to practicality and England coaches are by nature (irrespective of what they say) conservative relying on the traditional English strengths of Set Piece and Forward dominance.Ford would, I venture to say, not be the same player her is perceived to be now if he played internationally for France or New Zealand.
Marcus Smith is immensely talented and has massive potential and could develop into great player - but not if he is shackled as he probably will be at international level by the constraints of 'the team' and it's method.Nor can we judge him on armchair rides against weaker opposition or when playing off the top of his head in a team that could do no wrong and were seemingly destined for The Premiership title irrespective of what they did or how they actually played.
Marcus is now what George was then , or , if you like what Danny Cips was two seasons ago - the latest fashion.Only style and quality survive however.
In relatively recent times George Ford's main problem has been England's reliance on what appears to be a bullet proof Owen Farrell and the Saracens core.All worthy internationals but in Farrel's case his seeming permanence in the starting XV has mitigated against a more talented player with more scope and natural ability and has dictated how both the team and the No 10 plays.Should this really be case ?
I think not.
Still though , do not write off George Ford - still a master tactician and player who is that good that he can play any game both well and to instruction , and as we witnessed Vs Ulster in the second half not too long ago can sprinkle stardust when and if given the licence or when he is permitted to play what is in front of him.
Would not swap him , no way , no how.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postiger2 »

Selfishly, I hope he does play fewer games for England as that means more games for us. We're a much better side with GF in it IMHO.
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Offside »

To be fair Smith has won something whilst Cips has not (as I recall). He has added to his team where Cips seems to need the team to follow him. That may well be that Quins and Smith have mutually develop around each other’s style to provide great entertainment with a little more steel at the core than Bristol.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:17 pm George still knows how to play the attacking game.

Just plays for two coaches that don’t prioritize it
The longer that goes on the more his attacking game will regress, when did we last see him attack a hole? Don't get me wrong I think he is still a great player but I see him getting more defensive, kick and retreat.
Did his father go amicably, has this upset George? Who knows?
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Offside wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:02 pm To be fair Smith has won something whilst Cips has not (as I recall). He has added to his team where Cips seems to need the team to follow him. That may well be that Quins and Smith have mutually develop around each other’s style to provide great entertainment with a little more steel at the core than Bristol.
Smith has benefited by not being rushed onto the international scene, unlike Cipriani, something which I have to begrudgingly credit Jones for. But only to a point, as I see no reason why Umaga was ahead of Smith initially in terms of EPS selections until now.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Offside wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:02 pm To be fair Smith has won something whilst Cips has not (as I recall). He has added to his team where Cips seems to need the team to follow him. That may well be that Quins and Smith have mutually develop around each other’s style to provide great entertainment with a little more steel at the core than Bristol.
I think its more Smith matches Quins style. Quins have always played like they are doing now,very good to watch. Like you said they've just added more steel now,especially in the scrum!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
soggytiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by soggytiger »

Thought Cipriani has won the HC with Wasps in 2007 - may have been F/B rather than F/H? Not sure on injuries preventing him playing in League finals as Wasps won a few around then.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

soggytiger wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:15 pm
Thought Cipriani has won the HC with Wasps in 2007 - may have been F/B rather than F/H? Not sure on injuries preventing him playing in League finals as Wasps won a few around then.
He won the Prem the year after with Wasps as well though he missed the final through injury iirc.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I struggle with the continued assertion that Cipriani was some sort of underused (by England) star.

He was flash - moments of brilliance but his overall game was not at international level. Defence, positional play and going awol when the game wasn’t going his way. No signs of that with Ford or thus far with Smith at club level.

Has Ford had his opportunity? Probably, Jones may well decide to move on and he is not in the untouchable category in the way Macko, Farrell and Daly are. I hope the Lions will demonstrate that Daly is a quality centre and shoehorning him into full back is plain daft. However plays in the same position as Manu!
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Aren't we all grateful to watch George in action and I hope to see him involved in the England set for a couple more years, but at some stage, England have to look for a successor? I suspect they have found him and Smith will become the 1st choice for England before too long. The hardest thing for any coach/manager is to move away from people who have served them well and replace them, just as coaches and managers have to be replaced. For what it is worth, I would give him and Farrell one more opportunity in the AI's to prove they is worth taking to the world cup. The same applies to the Vunipola bros and sad to say it Manu as well. With the exception of George, they are not the players they once were and perhaps never will be but they deserve the chance to prove that they are better than their competitors.
Hehehehehehehehe