Leicester Tigers women's team?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Brutus
Top Cat
Top Cat

Re: Leicester Tigers women's team?

Post by Brutus »

This can only be a good thing for the game and for the club. I can now take my daughters to watch my favorite club and they can watch on, knowing that there is now the possibility of them one day being able to pull on the famous jersey. Unlike in the era when one of our fellow commentators started following the club, they do actually play rugby and are not solely in training to become housewives.

Don't get me wrong, I love watching the club because of the achievements and history of the men's team but it is right that the club finally becomes the Tiger's family, rather than just the Tigers brotherhood.

Regarding the situation with Loughborough Lightning, it would seem logical that there would be some sort tie up with the new Tigresses, given the limited playing pool and similar catchment area (before anyone disagrees, I know that there are some folk who grew up in Leicester, have never left the boundaries of the city and perceive that Loughborough is a totally different part of the world). It would be great if they mirrored the situation with the men's team, where there is a university feeder team but the professional entity is Tigers. I am not trying to belittle the university's achievements at all - I'm a proud Loughborough University alumnus and I want to see them do well but if they truly want to expand the reach of the women's game, then this surely has to be the best way forward to develop professional women's rugby in the East Midlands.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Pundit wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:16 pm Women's rugby is not game the about which I have passionate since 1956, playing throughout school and in the navy. Everyone is entitled to an opinion; likes and interests are completely subjective, and not matters of debate.
If clubs have money to spare, personally I would prefer to see the salary cap raised, so that English clubs can compete more consistently in Europe against French clubs, on a more level playing field.
So you don't think its a good idea for girls and women to be able to aspire to be able to play a game they also love, and possibly have a chance to wear the jersey of a team they love as well?

Nobody is going to force you to watch it, but you can still be positive about oportunities for women.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Brilliant. After what was done to Lichfield, I am sanguine about Tigers poaching a team. Unforgiven.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Good posts, Brutus & Ads!!
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

jgriffin wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:48 pm Brilliant. After what was done to Lichfield, I am sanguine about Tigers poaching a team. Unforgiven.
Agreed, while I don't hold it against Loughborough and Wasps the way Lichfield was dismantled still leaves a bad taste
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

kpj tiger wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:50 pm
jgriffin wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:48 pm Brilliant. After what was done to Lichfield, I am sanguine about Tigers poaching a team. Unforgiven.
Agreed, while I don't hold it against Loughborough and Wasps the way Lichfield was dismantled still leaves a bad taste
And Tigers walking away.......
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

jgriffin wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:40 pm
And Tigers walking away.......
I remember Tigers publicly expressed their disappointment but I agree they surely could have done more
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

True. I’m fairly sure the (University based) Loughborough brand just might not be strong enough to compete long term as the “Men’s” clubs fill the Premier 15s league (particularly the ones who haven’t traditionally had a ladies’ arm). Yes they’ve got the university PR and reputation behind them, but not the slick, oiled machine of a professional rugby club of which rugby is the core focus and product.
LekkerTigers

Post by LekkerTigers »

Has Emily Scarrett always followed Leicester Tigers on social media?
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

LekkerTigers wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:21 pm Has Emily Scarrett always followed Leicester Tigers on social media?
She's from Leicester isn't she?
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

ads wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:10 pm
LekkerTigers wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:21 pm Has Emily Scarrett always followed Leicester Tigers on social media?
Didn't Emily come to WR when England won the World Cup?
I wouldn't be surprised if she wears the shirt at some point.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

ads wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:10 pm
I'm fairly sure she is ex Leicester Forest RFC, along with Sam Vesty, both I think ex Dixie School at Desford.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

I think if Tigers were to apply for a Premier 15s franchise then Scarrett would be top of the target list amongst the professionals brought in from other “clubs”.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:46 pm I think if Tigers were to apply for a Premier 15s franchise then Scarrett would be top of the target list amongst the professionals brought in from other “clubs”.
I would love to see Emily Scarrett and Vicki Fleetwood at Tigers, both Leicestershire born and bred
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

kpj tiger wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:48 pm
Hot_Charlie wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:46 pm I think if Tigers were to apply for a Premier 15s franchise then Scarrett would be top of the target list amongst the professionals brought in from other “clubs”.
I would love to see Emily Scarrett and Vicki Fleetwood at Tigers, both Leicestershire born and bred
"Its coming home" might be appropriate. :smt035 :smt034