Leicester Tigers women's team?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Leicester Tigers women's team?

Post by teds »

dunc wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:27 am Pretty sure Andrea announced that we would create a women’s side when she became ceo. I also seem to remember she said they would start from scratch and not just takeover Loughborough Lightning.
I think starting from scratch is admirable, but I do wonder if both could actually co-exist in the premiership.
A takeover or at least a merger might be the best route forward.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Three or four fairly local women's teams have been mentioned, how many of them are running a second or third team and how would they react if a number of their best players were to leave for the " glamour " of playing under the Leicester Tiger's name, would it leave them with enough quality players to put out a competitive side. If on the other hand we are to recruit and pay professional players from outside our area to create an instant team it will be a drain on the finances of our cash strapped club. If we work in the community to grow the ladies game starting at school age we will increase the numbers playing and be able to select an elite from a wider pool.
Leicester City Ladies have just gained promotion to the Women's Super League, they have worked hard for many years to achieve that status and encouraged many young girls to enhance their skills in the game, they do not (or only rarely) play at the Kingpower. Girls who are not selected for the next level mostly find another team who will benefit from their skills.
bendy

Post by bendy »

johnthegriff wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:40 am Three or four fairly local women's teams have been mentioned, how many of them are running a second or third team and how would they react if a number of their best players were to leave for the " glamour " of playing under the Leicester Tiger's name, would it leave them with enough quality players to put out a competitive side. If on the other hand we are to recruit and pay professional players from outside our area to create an instant team it will be a drain on the finances of our cash strapped club. If we work in the community to grow the ladies game starting at school age we will increase the numbers playing and be able to select an elite from a wider pool.
Leicester City Ladies have just gained promotion to the Women's Super League, they have worked hard for many years to achieve that status and encouraged many young girls to enhance their skills in the game, they do not (or only rarely) play at the Kingpower. Girls who are not selected for the next level mostly find another team who will benefit from their skills.
This is what I think (/hope?) the intention is from the sounds of it. The job description says the candidate will be 2 days a week managing the ladies team, but 3 days a week doing a more 'womens rugby in the community' role, so it sounds to me like they want to structure it properly for the next few years at least. I certainly don't think Mr Borthwick could do his job on a 2 days a week basis for example.

I'm all for this approach! As you say John, the 'slow and steady' approach of growing the girls game from the bottom up has worked wonders for the Foxes.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Borthwick isn’t a team manager though.

Judging by this
“ Working with the Leicester Tigers Women’s Director of Rugby” we might already have a DOR in place
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Building a team from scratch would be very interesting, as well as challenging.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Interesting it links into Tigers+ which has two other jobs advertised.

"Tigers+, an exciting new initiative, will have a singular goal to improve participation of rugby in Leicestershire in year 1 and then further afield as the scheme grows. The aim will be to get more high schools playing rugby competitively, and to support local clubs in increasing the quantity and quality of their player and volunteer base.

With participation in rugby declining locally and less than 30% of Leicestershire High Schools playing the game as part of their curriculum we have introduced Tigers+ as our flagship community programme to get more people enjoying the game that we love."
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Maybe someone could shed more light on this but aren’t we doing things we should be doing anyway? Always seemed to me when looking at Sarries innovation etc that for a massive club we were very much old fashioned. Let’s hope that’s changed now
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

That sounds great, more lads playing full fifteens from U-15s to U-18s will only help develop our fan base in 5 to 10 years time, and more kids playing and being scouted at those ages will only drive up academy standards particularly if done with an open mind.

The women's game just needs development, Tigers will be an attraction to more people to play rugby, so will most likely stimulate more development to local clubs.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Confirmed
https://www.leicestertigers.com/news/le ... -programme

Vicky Macqueen Heading it up
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Better late than never but I give my 100% support to this and hope it becomes a success!
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

I watched a couple of France v England matches and was impressed. I’ll be watching ladies’ rugby more regularly!
Semper in excretia
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Not a fan ,but good luck all round!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

RagingBull wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:02 pm Confirmed

I'm absolutely delighted to see Vicky Macqueen taking the reigns, she was my PE teacher and Rugby Coach at Redmoor Highschool in Hinckley and was probably the best rugby coach I ever had (along with Harry Roberts of Tigers fame)
Pundit

Post by Pundit »

Women's rugby is not game the about which I have passionate since 1956, playing throughout school and in the navy. Everyone is entitled to an opinion; likes and interests are completely subjective, and not matters of debate.
If clubs have money to spare, personally I would prefer to see the salary cap raised, so that English clubs can compete more consistently in Europe against French clubs, on a more level playing field.
JeffBadland
Tiger Cub

Post by JeffBadland »

kpj tiger wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:53 pm
RagingBull wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:02 pm Confirmed

I'm absolutely delighted to see Vicky Macqueen taking the reigns, she was my PE teacher and Rugby Coach at Redmoor Highschool in Hinckley and was probably the best rugby coach I ever had (along with Harry Roberts of Tigers fame)
She also coaches my son at Didi Rugby. She's a really intelligent rugby brain who will no doubt be an asset to the club.