Leicester Tigers women's team?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerXV

Re: Leicester Tigers women's team?

Post by TigerXV »

Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:42 pm
TigerXV wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:20 am Fantastic result for the Leicestershire Ladies Rugby team at the weekend winning the County Div 1 final (having only just come up from the 2nd Div). It would be great for the club to give some coverage of this to show how much the Women's game is coming on in the county and the grass roots player's are there to support the Tigers Women's team.
Congratulations to the ladies great result. You are quite right what you say but Tigers and LRFU have been at loggerheads for years now, so I wouldn’t hold your breath.
I didn't know this and from what I've seen in recent years it hasn't been apparent to a casual observer but whatever the relationship may have been surely its time to use this to move on.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

TigerXV wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:14 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:42 pm
TigerXV wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:20 am Fantastic result for the Leicestershire Ladies Rugby team at the weekend winning the County Div 1 final (having only just come up from the 2nd Div). It would be great for the club to give some coverage of this to show how much the Women's game is coming on in the county and the grass roots player's are there to support the Tigers Women's team.
Congratulations to the ladies great result. You are quite right what you say but Tigers and LRFU have been at loggerheads for years now, so I wouldn’t hold your breath.
I didn't know this and from what I've seen in recent years it hasn't been apparent to a casual observer but whatever the relationship may have been surely its time to use this to move on.
It’s an historic thing and may well be changing with changes at the top of the tigers. Reached a level a few years back when the county finals were moved from Welford road.
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

Excellent news on Tigers entering Women’s Championship North, and intention to apply for a place in Premier 15s from 2023-24.

Very much looking forward to hearing how ticketing will work in the future. Hopefully with the right pricing structure we can build a strong following. If Tigers can do it year on year in the men’s game, we should be able to draw the biggest crowds in Premier 15s as well.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

chris111 wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:48 am Excellent news on Tigers entering Women’s Championship North, and intention to apply for a place in Premier 15s from 2023-24.

Very much looking forward to hearing how ticketing will work in the future. Hopefully with the right pricing structure we can build a strong following. If Tigers can do it year on year in the men’s game, we should be able to draw the biggest crowds in Premier 15s as well.
Excellent news Chris. Do you expect the crowds to be big enough to use MWWR or would they use some of the local junior clubs
TigerXV

Post by TigerXV »

Rugbygramps wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:29 am
chris111 wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:48 am Excellent news on Tigers entering Women’s Championship North, and intention to apply for a place in Premier 15s from 2023-24.

Excellent news Chris. Do you expect the crowds to be big enough to use MWWR or would they use some of the local junior clubs
from the article in the News section on this site announcing the news..........'Tigers will play at least six home games in Championship North at Mattioli Woods Welford Road while the squad will train at the club’s Oval Park base' .
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

TigerXV wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:49 am

from the article in the News section on this site announcing the news..........'Tigers will play at least six home games in Championship North at Mattioli Woods Welford Road while the squad will train at the club’s Oval Park base' .
Thanks TigerXV hadn’t seen it, I wonder if they will be after the mens game or stand alone fixtures.
TigerXV

Post by TigerXV »

Rugbygramps wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:27 am

Thanks TigerXV hadn’t seen it, I wonder if they will be after the mens game or stand alone fixtures.
it will be difficult to match the two leagues up fixture wise but regardless I think they should be kept on separate days. The audiences are quite different demographically and certainly from a drinking culture point of view. They should build up the core Women's supporter base with a linked but separate identity. This is what the other Prem clubs have done. Also on a practical level the changing facilities at Tigers are minimal to say the least!
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

TigerXV wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:27 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:27 am

it will be difficult to match the two leagues up fixture wise but regardless I think they should be kept on separate days. The audiences are quite different demographically and certainly from a drinking culture point of view. They should build up the core Women's supporter base with a linked but separate identity. This is what the other Prem clubs have done. Also on a practical level the changing facilities at Tigers are minimal to say the least!
Interesting issue over scheduling. I’ve no idea about the difference in demographics - my only experience of women’s rugby is on TV, and mostly international at that. However, although there might be a largely different audience, there must some some Venn diagram overlap…and playing back-to-back fixtures would likely tempt a few more fans of the men’s game to try something different. Appreciate the logistical challenge - but would like to see Tigers at least giving it a shot. I would certainly stick around to watch a doubleheader - but although I would like to think I would turn up at WR on two different days, it would be quite an investment in time.
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

Wish them every success ..I enjoy listening to the informative contributions of Vicky Macqueen on Radio Leicester…she knows far more than me and I’m sure her outstanding passion, knowledge and experience of the game will take our ladies forward !
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Lark Davies announced as leaving Loughborough Lightning next season. Could she be joining Tigers or would that jeopardise her England career ?
A2O
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

KiwiTig wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:07 am Wish them every success ..I enjoy listening to the informative contributions of Vicky Macqueen on Radio Leicester…she knows far more than me and I’m sure her outstanding passion, knowledge and experience of the game will take our ladies forward !
Emily Scarrett did an excellent job on the Saints game at the weekend, watch your back Austin.
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

ay2oh wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:15 am Lark Davies announced as leaving Loughborough Lightning next season. Could she be joining Tigers or would that jeopardise her England career ?
Bristol Women are doing a signing this morning… I’d imagine it’s them to prolong her England career.

Although would be quite a coup for Tigers, I’d expect us to build a squad upwards.
TigerXV

Post by TigerXV »

Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:32 am
KiwiTig wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:07 am Wish them every success ..I enjoy listening to the informative contributions of Vicky Macqueen on Radio Leicester…she knows far more than me and I’m sure her outstanding passion, knowledge and experience of the game will take our ladies forward !
Emily Scarrett did an excellent job on the Saints game at the weekend, watch your back Austin.
I'm thinking she might plan on playing the next WC then move to Tigers for a season or 2 playing/coaching alongside her TV work
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

TigerXV wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:59 am
Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:32 am
I'm thinking she might plan on playing the next WC then move to Tigers for a season or 2 playing/coaching alongside her TV work
Excellent she is very insightful
TigerXV

Post by TigerXV »

I see in the Tigers Vacancies section they are recruiting for 4 new paid (albeit part time) posts as part of the Women's Rugby coaching/fitness structure: Women's Head Coach, Assistant Coach, Women's Physiotherapist and a Strength & Conditioning Lead.

Great to see real investment being made and indicates how serious this is being taken by the club